Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:08 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Like it or not, there's a difference between a Flossmoor robbery and an Arlington Heights robbery. Folks in Alrington Heights are more likely to blame it on the city. Folks in Flossmoor are more likely blame it it on nearby suburbs.. In reality, like Allen said, it could very well have been a crime committed by an out-of-work young person who lives in the neighborhood.
NO. City is too far away. My thoughts were gangbangers from Wheeling's bad section.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012
Absolutely. A couple of months ago there was a series of about 40 car break-ins in Hoffman Est, South Barrington, and Barrington - all regarded as extremely safe and the latter two, affluent. Most of the cars that were broken into were unlocked.

Fools..

Noir_1985,
This is why a thief would ride out to Arlington Heights to commit an easy crime.
There is quite a difference between perps looking for unlocked cars with goodies in easy reach and a home robbery where the place is cased and the locked windows are pryed open. Different type of perp in my mind.
Geez, you make it sound like the homeowner left the garage door open and all the lights on with a sign that said "Come and get it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,558 times
4 home break-ins/robberies by same men in Mokena/Frankfort in a two week span. They were arrested. It turned out to be a group of 4 young men 18-20 year old range. Two from Mokena, two from Oak Lawn who worked together scouting out neighborhood schedules, etc. Two would break in from the back door, two would look out and drive. I believe the Mokena guys were originally from Oak Lawn.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
^^ Well there goes the notion that the burgalries were committed by people from bad areas.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-12-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I have recently heard of several rashes of home invasions and car break ins in many middle class and affluent suburbs. It even seems like I am hearing about more violent armed robberies of businesses and banks in nice suburbs. I am hearing about home invasions and car break ins more often recently in suburbs that I never knew had a problem with a large number of home invasions and car break ins before. Are thieves starting to target certain suburbs more now that might have appeared to them as being off limits or out of reach for criminals living outside of the area in the past? Or maybe more out of work young people are turning to commiting crimes in there own surrounding neighborhoods?
Its both. Young people who thrill seek, People targeting a particular individual or people from a rougher section nearby. I doubt somebody from the city would drive all the way to a nice suburb to commit a crime unless its oak park or something. But it could happen.

mas23

Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
There can be breakins, attacks, etc. any where any time any suburb. People just get lulled into a false sense of security in the "good" towns. They do not take the proper steps to protect themselves against criminals at time. Like leaving your car unlocked and valuables inside - who does that? I lock my car in my own driveway and lock the door after me when I get in the house.
It can happen anywhere - criminals are opportunistic....
Also, I think that towns tend to hide certain types of crime in the "good" neighborhoods. I used to live in what is now a real expensive town - all kinds of stuff went on there and no one ever heard about it - it was never in the paper's police reports.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Folks in Alrington Heights are more likely to blame it on the city.
I admit I prabobly spoke too soon and said something that wasn't really true. I've never even been to A rlington Heights but I do know someone who was originally from there.

Last edited by urza216; 11-13-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 09:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
There can be breakins, attacks, etc. any where any time any suburb. People just get lulled into a false sense of security in the "good" towns. They do not take the proper steps to protect themselves against criminals at time. Like leaving your car unlocked and valuables inside - who does that? I lock my car in my own driveway and lock the door after me when I get in the house.
It can happen anywhere - criminals are opportunistic....
Also, I think that towns tend to hide certain types of crime in the "good" neighborhoods. I used to live in what is now a real expensive town - all kinds of stuff went on there and no one ever heard about it - it was never in the paper's police reports.
This is very true. But even if you're living in a rougher area, it's best not to let fear get the best of you. Just be aware of your surroundings and have common sense.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:27 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,558 times
A few months back, we found our door jamb cracked, like someone tried to get in. I think having a dog with a strong bark also helps.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
A few months back, we found our door jamb cracked, like someone tried to get in. I think having a dog with a strong bark also helps.
Detterence is good. Locking doors and windows, good lighting so there are not dark areas for perps to hide in and enter through, dog, alarm system, safe...........................BUT the intelligent, professional thief will be able to counter all these devices. The detterences will keep the less intelligent ones out.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 732 times
With regards to the idiot and the news reporter who falsely reported that Willie Lloyd III was the grandson of gang leader is so stupid and false!!! OUR grandfather passed away in 1986 he was an outstanding war veteran who has no relationship to the gang leader at all!!! It is sad and ignorant for people to assume that there was any affiliation just because of the names are the same!! Harvey is and has been for years a very corrupt city and as it was later found my cousin was murdered by Harvey's finest corrupt police so please stop spreading false inaccurate information! Police were at the funeral because of the false information reported on the news and in the newspaper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs