Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 5,460 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Considering a possible relocation to Chicago area. The job is located on the Loop, in downtown.

We have two young children (under 3) and are looking for a safe location with a more small town vibe. I like the idea of Naperville and/or Wheaton (as there is a possibility of part time work from a location in Oak Brook), but my question is, can I commute (via train, especially the express trains) from a Chicago suburb to the Loop, in less than an hour. My budget would top out at around $2000 a month (rent or buy).

Interested in any thoughts regarding possible suburbs/crime rates/small town vibe.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,887,416 times
Look at the schedules for the commuter trains at Metra Mobile. The metro trains pretty much run on time. You also need to account for time getting to the train station, time waiting for the train to arrive, and then time to get from the downtown train station to your office.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 AM

768 posts, read 1,092,111 times
checkout La Grange, Western Springs, Downers Grove, Elmhurst (family friendly towns, awesome cores and great schools) if you want < 30min to loop via metra. ~ All super close to Oak Brook...

Loop ride via Metra under 1h express pretty much includes every desirable town (chicagoland public transit Rocks) - including Naperville...

From La Grange express Metra is 17min to Union...

Old 03-06-2015, 11:56 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,063,985 times
Check out Glen Ellyn and Willowbrook too. Willowbrook doesn't have it's own metra statuon, but it's around 5-7 minutes from the Clarendon Hills station, the West Hinsdale station, and the Hinsdale station. Also check out Indian Head Park and Countryside, they're around 5-7 minutes from the La Grange and and Western Springs stations.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:59 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,111,599 times
Oak Park is the suburb nearest (8 mi) to the Loop. The population is about 50,000. Naperville population is is more than triple that of OP. I don't know about Wheaton. Several trains to/from OP daily. OP also offers zip car, bus, taxi and limo rental, plus some of the same services offered to Chicago residents. .

Oak Park is diverse in its entertainment, housing stock and rentals, shopping, worship, income and population. The Village of Oak Park schools, parks and library have a good reputation. It is not a college town.

It is upscale, it is walkable, it is historic, it is a family place, it is a place for singles, too. And it is a bit quirky. Some like it; some don't. It is still a good place to raise a family and enjoy life. You should be able to get a short term lease in OP while you find a place to buy.

The fly in the ointment is the 1000 square miles in Cook County. If you live in OP or close to work there may not be any transportation to Oak Brook other than auto or taxi.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,063,985 times
Oak Park is a good option. Also check out Riverside and Brookfield. They're close to the loop and only about a 15 minute drive to Oak Brook. They have their own metra stations too.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone for their responses. I looked quickly at Oak Park, but I am worried it might be too close to the city (small town guy here). Are all the burbs listed fairly safe? I tried looking up safe data, but I wasn't 100% sure whether people living there consider them family friendly/safe. Thanks again for all your insights.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 AM

768 posts, read 1,092,111 times
Oak Park is very urban feeling/almost an extension of the big city feel - not for everyone...

on the west side: La Grange, Western Springs, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, naperville, Hinsdale, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, ALL SAFE, family friendly, great schools with awesome downtowns and historic sections. Indian Head Park, Oak Brook also super safe but no real downtown core, newer developments - more your traditional suburbia style.

Look for something along the train stations (walkable) -> get close to metra stop and a downtown core mentioned above and you will be a happy camper...

Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,874,680 times
Read some of the other posts about Oak Park...some love it, some don't. Very high taxes. Unless you have your heart set on it, and there are some that do, I'd skip it and look at places mentioned in the above post. I'd skip Indian Head Park and Oak Brook and concentrate on the others. You need to go visit them. I think walking to the train station is over rated, I'd never do it so I would not care as long as its not too far a drive and I can get a reliable place to park. It limits your home options so much if you want to be able to walk to the train and its so damn cold for much of the year, or rainy, or sweltering, or humid, you won't want to.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Read some of the other posts about Oak Park...some love it, some don't. Very high taxes. Unless you have your heart set on it, and there are some that do, I'd skip it and look at places mentioned in the above post. I'd skip Indian Head Park and Oak Brook and concentrate on the others. You need to go visit them. I think walking to the train station is over rated, I'd never do it so I would not care as long as its not too far a drive and I can get a reliable place to park. It limits your home options so much if you want to be able to walk to the train and its so damn cold for much of the year, or rainy, or sweltering, or humid, you won't want to.
I'd love to go visit them, but I don't think that is feasible before I decide on the job. Fortunately, I think I will have a few months before I have to permanently relocate, so I will have some time to explore and find the right place. And from everyone's responses, it seems that I should be able to find something under 2K that is within an hour total trip time of downtown Chicago (assuming expressing train).

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs