U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 AM

829 posts, read 1,788,599 times

Advertisements

I have recently heard of several rashes of home invasions and car break ins in many middle class and affluent suburbs. It even seems like I am hearing about more violent armed robberies of businesses and banks in nice suburbs. I am hearing about home invasions and car break ins more often recently in suburbs that I never knew had a problem with a large number of home invasions and car break ins before. Are thieves starting to target certain suburbs more now that might have appeared to them as being off limits or out of reach for criminals living outside of the area in the past? Or maybe more out of work young people are turning to commiting crimes in there own surrounding neighborhoods?

Last edited by allen2323; 11-11-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,636,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I have recently heard of several rashes of home invasions and car break ins in many middle class and affluent suburbs. It seems like I am hearing about home invasions and car break ins more often recently in suburbs that I never knew had a problem with a large number of home invasions and car break ins before. Are thieves starting to target certain suburbs more now that might have appeared as being off limits or out of reach for criminals living outside of the area in the past?
Absolutely. A couple of months ago there was a series of about 40 car break-ins in Hoffman Est, South Barrington, and Barrington - all regarded as extremely safe and the latter two, affluent. Most of the cars that were broken into were unlocked.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM

829 posts, read 1,788,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Absolutely. A couple of months ago there was a series of about 40 car break-ins in Hoffman Est, South Barrington, and Barrington - all regarded as extremely safe and the latter two, affluent. Most of the cars that were broken into were unlocked.

Here are a few recent ones near my area.

Teens charged in Frankfort, Mokena home burglaries — Frankfort news, photos and events — TribLocal.com

Two arrested, one shot in Homewood bank robbery - Chicago Tribune

Elderly woman’s purse stolen during armed robbery at Walt’s — Tinley Park news, photos and events — TribLocal.com

Police still searching for Chase bank robber — Orland Park news, photos and events — TribLocal.com

Two charged in Flossmoor burglaries :: The SouthtownStar :: News (http://www.southtownstar.com/news/2855650,110210flossmoorbust.article - broken link)

Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,393,867 times
2 within last year in my neighborhood. Perps cased the joint before acting. One might have been prevented with better periphery lighting. perps found a dark area outside of neighbors view and did it at night when occupants weren't home. Based on what they took these weren't true proffesionals, just a group a little smarter than usual.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,629,679 times
Default My Two Cents

Like it or not, there's a difference between a Flossmoor robbery and an Arlington Heights robbery. Folks in Alrington Heights are more likely to blame it on the city. Folks in Flossmoor are more likely blame it it on nearby suburbs.. In reality, like Allen said, it could very well have been a crime committed by an out-of-work young person who lives in the neighborhood.

Last edited by urza216; 11-11-2010 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: cut my second paragraph and pasted it into my new comment

Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 PM

3,737 posts, read 8,680,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Like it or not, there's a difference between a Flossmoor robbery and an Arlington Heights robbery. Folks in Alrington Heights are more likely to blame it on the city. Folks in Flossmoor are more likely blame it it on nearby suburbs.. In reality, like Allen said, it could very well have been a crime committed by an out-of-work young person who lives in the neighborhood.
Blame it on what city? Chicago....who in the hell would ride all the way out to Arlington Heights to commit a crime.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Fools..

Noir_1985,
This is why a thief would ride out to Arlington Heights to commit an easy crime.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM

Last week, outside my friend's house in Sauk village, about 15 teenagers were fighting with knives and sticks across the street. People were calling the cops left and right and by the time Sauk Village's finest arrived, it was over and the crowd had dispersed. In another incident, a kid was also shot over ten dollars in the Village. Yep, I just thought I'd throw out a few more recent suburban stories! Stories that barely even made the news, if at all..

The thing is...
No one really cares about poor blacks shooting or stabbing each other in Sauk Village, Chicago Heights or Harvey. But when an affluent black in Flossmoor gets his car broken into, the Southtown Star reporters will be on the scene! It relates to class more than anything but to deny the role that race plays isn't looking at the whole picture. People are somehow shocked and appalled when they hear about poor whites whipping out guns and knives on each other in Steger, South Chicago Heights and Hammond. Weird, huh?

Last edited by urza216; 11-11-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 PM

3,506 posts, read 7,309,750 times
Urza16,

When it comes to working class black/latino neighborhoods, it depends on who was killed, shot, and the degree of the crime. Age and sex plays a factor. For instance, a 31 year old man was killed sitting in his car only 3 blocks west of me about 2 1/2 weeks ago. No news reporters, it was just seen as a another killing in Harvey. Two days later, 3 people killed and one survivor in an apartment building. This time it was a 28 year old woman, 9 year old daughter, and 16 year old stepson. Also a 4 year old was shot, but luckly the baby survived. It was featured on abc7 and the news reporters came out this time. The cause of the triple homicide was drug related.

Just by what we observe on the news, we can conclude that female victims in general recieve more media attention than males. Teenagers, little kids, and baby victims recieve more media attention than adults. And victims that were gang members don't get much news coverage, unless they were the gang leader or a son/grandson of a known gang leader. I remember when Willie Lloyd III was killed in Harvey in 2006. He was 19 attending Thornton and a high ranking gang member. His death was mention on the radio and the news. The only reason new reporters cared is b/c he is the grandson of a once infamous Vice Lord leader, Willie Lloyd. His funeral had polices there.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-11-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,636,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Fools..
That's what happens - Such an incident is so rare around here, it creates a false sense of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs