Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,924 times

Advertisements

We are in contract for a house in a good neighborhood which on inspection revealed that needs chaulking of a bunch of windows, painting outside cedar, Damage to one of the concrete caps on the roof. On top of that the roof needs to be changed completely. The kitchen will eventually need to be updated, the master bath needs to tiled from carpet. Another strange thing, the basement has multiple repaired cracks, no water damage noted physically . Also the AC units needs to be changed as well. The carpet is 20 yrs old as well. shoulde we walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Everything you've listed is nothing more than just eyesores and basic maintenance besides perhaps the foundation cracks could be a bad sign. What did the home inspector say? If they don't know hire an experienced contractor to give it a look.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Depends on if the contract price reflects these things. If not renegotiate. If that doesn't work than with the advise of your agent you make the call to walk. It is a buyer's market right now, especailly if your buying without it being contingent on selling property you own.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Not enough info...

While I can't be sure it sounds like you may be a victim of " overly negative home inspector syndrome". To many inspectors tend to be overly dramatic and. Downright unbalanced in saying what NEEDS to he changed and when.

For first time home buyers this can be a VERY STRESSFUL situation and some inspectors basically prey about that stress...

Caulking is basically a MAINTAINENCE item that diligent home owners do eve cowpoke of years, but older folks might let go for five years or more; most any DIYer could handle getting that back to a good state.

Concrete caps on the chimney are one of the things that probably most home owners don't think about until they re-roof every 15 to 30 years. And speaking of a roof, just because it is 15 or 30 or 50 years old DOES NOT MEAN it will immeadiately fail in some catastrophic way, if there are leaks you can (are certainly should) repair them. If there are no leaks but it has reached the end of it's warranties life you should budget for replacement, but do not expect a seller to foot the full cost of a new roof.

Kitchen update? from a home inspector? Did this joker go to the Cordon Bleu too? Is his brother in law a remodelers? I mean yiu have EYES, right, if the kitchen is out of date I am sure you did not need a HOME INSPECTOR to tell yiu this... Ditto on the bathroom tile "issue".

Nothing STRANGE about repaired cracks, many home sellers do this specifically because other nut ball home inspectors raise issues in the minds of naive homebuyers from unrepaired cracks which are a NORMAL part of concrete curing / foundation settling...

Are the AC units working? Again, if the "expected lifespan" is 15 years and these things are working it does not really matter if they are 20 years old, yiu budget for repairs / replacement, that is just how home ownwrship works...

20 year old carpet? OMG!!!! You want to live with 20 year old carpet, the HORROR! My mom has carpet that is 41 years old. Pure wool. Stuff would probably cost about $300 a sq yd at today's prices. It ain't my favorite color, but she likes it and since she is 86 I have no intention of having her use her modest savings to replace it...

Walk away? Over this piddling stuff? You saw a house you liked bettery for less? Why did you did not submit a bid for that one???? Oh, you did see the kitchen and the carpet and this place still is a better house for you? Well if the home inspector is going to move in with you, then I guess he has more say that you and your wife,but otherwise... BUY IT!!!

Now if the inspector found evidence of issues that would be costly to replace (like collapsed sewer line or improper electrical wiring or structural issues) it might be wise to get estimates to repair those INFRASTRUCTURE items and determine if that should cause your to re- evaluate your offer, but with th info yiu have supplied here I do not see any reason to be alarmed. Rarley is an existing home, of any age, going to come back with an absolutely pristine inspector's report -- when the items on the report are consistent with what you've seen that is generally a sign the homeowners are normal folks that are not out fleece anyone with hidden defects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm22a View Post
We are in contract for a house in a good neighborhood which on inspection revealed that needs chaulking of a bunch of windows, painting outside cedar, Damage to one of the concrete caps on the roof. On top of that the roof needs to be changed completely. The kitchen will eventually need to be updated, the master bath needs to tiled from carpet. Another strange thing, the basement has multiple repaired cracks, no water damage noted physically . Also the AC units needs to be changed as well. The carpet is 20 yrs old as well. shoulde we walk away.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
I NEVER thought I'd agree with Mr. Everett, but he is spot on about this inspector. These guys are mostly frauds ! As an electrician I was called many times to "Bring things up to code" that were listed by these guys and in almost every instance they were wrong. I do not beleive in these inspections and would never allow one done on my house. Hat's off to you Chet for bringing this to the front. You gave good advice to these folks.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 AM

79 posts, read 264,542 times
All of items that you mentioned are simple fixes and should be addressed by the Seller by request of your attorney. Tile transition from carpet is a personal choice/cosmetic item - you can ask for it but I doubt they will give it to you.

Addressing issues of safety & structure should be your primary concern. The cap, the foundation, etc. You should have had your home inspected by a ASHI Certified Home Inspector then have your attorney request that these things be repaired prior to closing or ask for credit.

You can re-negotiate according to what costs are involved and ask for that as repair credit at closing if the Seller cannot repair.

If you need a good home inspector refferal try The Home Inspection Man, Gary Monfeli.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
I probably would get a second opinion on the roof, ac and foundation cracks, but I agree that the rest is cosmetic and all things you should have seen before submitting your offer - I mean you must have seen the carpet and the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: