Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:55 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I know lots of people who bought in the 80s in otherwise beautiful areas with rising crime and crumbling schools (kenwood and woodlawn). They ended up doing very well. Places with strong upside always have the chance to turn around. Buying when prices are down and the broader perception is more negative isn't always a bad idea.
Apples and oranges.

You can't truly compare a decaying, outlying suburb to a city neighborhood.

(And if you plan to buy & hold for 30 years in ANY neighborhood, you can probably make a profit.)

Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Apples and oranges.

You can't truly compare a decaying, outlying suburb to a city neighborhood.

(And if you plan to buy & hold for 30 years in ANY neighborhood, you can probably make a profit.)
That's what people always say after the fact. It's always sort of obvious what will appreciate and what won't. No one at the time thought that it was obvious that a south side city neighborhood had a bright future. Also didn't take nearly the full 30 years, and it wasn't just standard 30 year appreciation. We're talking 200K to 2M over 15 years. Also, I think Flossmoor has more upside and is a little more special than you do. Just a different opinion, nothing to get too excited over. Neither of us really knows.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Also, is Flossmoor really "decaying"? seems a bit exaggerated to me. I know a couple of people who have moved there recently and send their kids to Lab. They seem to enjoy living there, haven't mentioned anything negative.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Also, is Flossmoor really "decaying"? seems a bit exaggerated to me. I know a couple of people who have moved there recently and send their kids to Lab. They seem to enjoy living there, haven't mentioned anything negative.
I'll agree that "decaying" is a little harsh.

Declining though? Absolutely.

And if they're sending their kids to U of C Lab - their actions about the negatives of their own neighborhood speaks volumes. Did I misunderstand you?

Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Declining, yes, but it might find a new equilibrium as something different but still good -- maybe not as good, but still solid and interesting. It could also become a total dump, but it's not obvious to me that this is where it's headed.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Declining, yes, but it might find a new equilibrium as something different but still good -- maybe not as good, but still solid and interesting. It could also become a total dump, but it's not obvious to me that this is where it's headed.
... and it's pretty clear to me based on the clues that several of the neighboring south suburbs provide.

Cal City, Dolton, Lansing, Glenwood ... all used to have lower crime levels & better schools. HF seems to be mirroring their decline - albeit at a slower rate.

But I see the same outcome in the end.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Maybe but Flossmoor is so much more impressive (housing stock, size of lots, trees, etc.) than those other places. Some of those other places maybe weren't blighted before but they were never really more than working class ok. Flossmoor to me at least is very impressive.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Chuckity's argument just doesn't hold up when chuckity starts trying to apply examples of old run down inner ring southern burbs like riverdale to the more middle class and affluent southern suburbs. There aren't any CEO's, retired professional athletes, or grammy award winning entertainers living in riverdale and never were. I love to argue about things that I know I am right about but seriously, you are starting to lose all credibility on this topic with your outragous statements that anyone who is familiar with the area knows is not true. How in the heck is flossmoor decaying? It has already found a new equilibrium as an affluent racially diverse community and the area is still improving. Flossmoor and Olympia fields are very affluent zipcodes and there is no denying that.

Here are some picture examples of the beautiful decay taking place in flossmoor. Here is the new and old blight that chuckity is referring to:

http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Large_images_Output/32074000040000_AA.JPG (broken link)
http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Large_images_Output/32073020130000_AA.JPG (broken link)

http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Large_images_Output/31122070220000_AA.JPG (broken link)
http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Large_images_Output/31122100320000_AA.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by allen2323; 12-15-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Allen...when I said crappy neighborhoods, I meant crappy neighbors, not the physical shape of the homes. This is the same advice I give to everyone...get to know neighbors before you move in....you think homewood is immune to having bad neighbors? I don't think so! Neither is munster or any other place. So don't get so defensive (especially when you are not the one moving to homewood....or are you?..hmmm...)

Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Chuckity's argument just doesn't hold up when chuckity starts trying to apply examples of old run down inner ring southern burbs like riverdale to the more middle class and affluent southern suburbs. There aren't any CEO's, retired athletes, or entertainers living in riverdale and never were. I love to argue about things that I know I am right about but seriously, you are starting to lose all credibility on this topic with your outragous statements that anyone who is familiar with the area knows is not true. How in the heck is flossmoor decaying? It has already found a new equilibrium as an affluent racially diverse community and the area is still improving. Flossmoor and Olympia fields are very affluent zipcodes and there is no denying that.

Here are some picture examples of the beautiful decay taking place in flossmoor. Here is the new and old blight that chuckity is referring to:

LOL!! Can you not read?

I agreed that my use of "decaying" was a little harsh - did you miss that? Unlike you, I'm not so quick to use the edit feature - and if I misuse or misstate - I own up to it.

I also said that it's definitely declining. And I never mentioned Riverdale.

But the trend of the area is downward. The majority of the south suburbs were safe areas at one time with decent schools. Now the ONLY area with 1/2 decent schools is HF ... and as time ticks on, it slides further into the abyss.

But what I find REALLY amusing lately in your south suburbs arguments, is that you've ditched your argument that the schools aren't failing in favor of "there are fantastic PRIVATE schools in the area!" Hysterical, allen. That's because you know the facts aren't on your side and you need some sort of toe hold in the argument.

HF is NOT was it used to be ... it's a suburban area in the midst of a decline. When the schools start to go (and they've been headed downhill for years) that's a tough road to reverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs