Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
However, other factors come into play such as commute. If a black couple both work as say doctors in Hyde Park, Olympia Fields makes alot of sense.

If the same couple work at a hospital in Arlington Heights, not so much. People like living within a reasonable commute of work.
Because so few black people live that far north, a black person is just less likely to land a job in Arlington Heights. Employers don't just randomly call up people who are currently residing on the other side of the Metro area, regardless of how qualified this random person may be.

People like to live close to work, yes. But in most cases, people also work close to home. You are more likely to find a black doctor at South Suburban Hospital in Hazel Crest, Saint James Hospital in Chicago Heights or Ingalls Hospital in Harvey than at a hospital in Arlingon Heights. (This is to say nothing of the Kankakee hospital which prabobly employs a number of south suburbanites.) You are way more likely to find a black small business owner in any south suburb than in Arlington Heights. And you more way likely to find a black professional renting an office on Lincoln Highway than renting an office in Arlington Heights.

People don't just fall out of the sky and land in their place of employment. They're already living somewhere.

Speaking of Olympia Fields, I have some errands I got to run right now. But I hope to get a message back from you soon, Humboldt1.

Last edited by urza216; 01-05-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Urza

Very strange message. Not sure what you are getting at with your last post:

Speaking of Olympia Fields, I have some errands I got to run right now. But I hope to get a message back from you soon, Humboldt1.

I actually agree with you on much of the rest of your post that employers are more likely to look for people in their backyard but this changes as you go up market.

I moved from Indianapolis to Chicago as a credit analyst in 2003. I would now move across the country if the right position came along. I think alot of people would move across country for the right high-paying job, including physicians.

People with mortgages and kids are not moving across the country for $40K jobs.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Very strange message. Not sure what you are getting at with your last post:

You have messages from me in your Inbox that you didn't get back to and I was reminding you of this.

Last edited by urza216; 01-05-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Not sure about this, but Highland Park/Highwood might be worth a look. Significant Latino population here. Yes, many are lower income, but some are upper-middle income and upper income. Good schools, near the lake, great parks.

Might be worth sniffing around.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Default If you thought it was a joke thread, why bother responding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are executives of every race in the nicer suburbs. I personally know people in Winnetka, Evanston, Oak Brook, Hinsdale, Burr Ridge and Barrington that are executives / professionals whose ethnic heritage includes Mexico, Cuba, Ecuador, Venezuela, Portugal, Brazil and Spain.

Granted in some cases these folks hardly make up more than a tiny minority, but so too would it be if I went looking for folks from Latvia, Finland, Luxembourg, East Umbria or some other random nation.

I know tons of folks from other European nations that don't ask where other folks of their ethnic heritage reside. They do, however, care a great deal about high quality schools, good values for their taxes, excellent long term price stability and other factors that have an impact on the investment in housing. Maybe that is telling...
I've also met many Americans who have move to Mexico, Iran, Saudia Arabia, and seek out communities that have a high concentration of Americans. Maybe that is telling...

Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,114 times
Thank you everyone for your feedback. To clarify, we seek a community that is similar to us in a variety of ways and not just based on our income level or our ethnicity. However, we also do not want to be ostracized for our ethnicity or lifestyle or high income level. We have seen that the suburbs are highly segregated and it is not something we want for our family. We are struggling with how to best identify a suburb that meets our needs and figured it would be nice to around other like-minded individuals, who if they happen to diverse or Hispanic, would be great.

Chett - not sure where you were going with the "joke" about my prior comments ...for the record, we will be sending our child to private schools so schools are not a top priority. What is...being around like-minded individuals who care about their community, real estate, and are friendly. That is what drives the valuation of the real estate and sustains the long-term rates you reference (a high correlation exists between the people's attitudes in a community with the real estate value per a study a read).

Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
As to finding some place where there are lots of folks with YOUR SKIN PIGMENTATION if find this to PATENTLY FALSE among a large percentage of Americans living abroad. A very dear friend works for the US State Dept in a SE Asian country. On mornings she and her bright blue eyed, blond haired son walk to the office or to the market they are literally the only folks like this around for miles.
I never mentioned race or skin color, I said "Americans" and you assumed I meant White, or as you put it "bright blue eyed, blond haired"

Now that is quite telling......

Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default For love of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I never mentioned race or skin color, I said "Americans" and you assumed I meant White, or as you put it "bright blue eyed, .
My friend in the State Department is in SE Asia! How thick do you have to be understand that her appearance and that of her son would not be immediately apparent as someone "not from around these parts" if their hair was dark !?!

So let me ask you, do the various highly pigmented AMERICAN that you know that live in areas where they might blend in tend to seek out others like them based soley on language?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:58 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,102 times
Quote:
...Given that such a high percentage of one's property taxes go toward public schools in any community the simple "embrace" of private schools already sets one apart from probably 90%+ on ones neighbors. (and again given that so manynwell off Hyde Parkers have turned to Lab to educate their kids maybe that is the mindset that the OP has, though I am sure parts of of the north side have stretches of kids that all go to Francis Parkwr, Larine, Francix Xavier Ward etc..). .

Chet, some of the highest private school attendance rates in chicago are in the lincoln park and lake view communities in chicago. Over 90 percent of the elemtary students are attending private school in some of the lincoln park and lakeview census tracts.

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 01-09-2011, 07:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Completely agree, that is the pattern IN the CITY OF CHICAGO'S most affluent a

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Chet, some of the highest private school attendance rates in chicago are in the lincoln park and lake view communities in chicago. Over 90 percent of the elemtary students are attending private school in some of the lincoln park and lakeview census tracts.

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Out here in the burbs that is simply not how we roll...

Schools that are unacceptable for our own kids means well off suburbanites won't stand for living in an area. I guess we are just more civic minded ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs