Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 AM

223 posts, read 662,032 times

Advertisements

I would be interested to hear from people who moved to a particular Chicago suburb, have been there for a while now (e.g., at least a year), and to hear how they're liking where they live. We obviously hear so much on this forum about what people are looking for in a place, but now I'm curious to hear how the search ended and overall, how did things work out? What about your suburb has met, not met, or exceeded your expectations? Anything about the place -- its offerings, culture, and so on -- that took you by surprise? What do you wish it had that seems to be lacking? Or what do you wish you had known prior to choosing that place or picking a particular neighborhood (e.g., "If only I had known about the Metra parking difficulties....") Are you happy with your choice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Actually, I can also start off this thread:

We live in Oak Park. The commute into downtown for work cannot be beat. I also love that the there's diversity here, plus what I view as a real lack of "conspicuous consumption." On the other hand, I think that good restaurants are really lacking here, and I don't think the surrounding towns make for a very nice region or mini-region-- in the same way that say if you lived in LaGrange, you'd have the very nice Western Springs/Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills, etc. offerings and charm as an extension of where you live. The downtown has some limited offerings in terms of shops, but for more substantial shopping, I find that it means getting on one expressway or another (and while yes, you can argue that it's only a 15-minute jaunt on the expressway into downtown or to Oak Brook, I personally would like more convenience in shopping a little closer to home -- but this is of course my personal preference and others may feel differently.)

I also have come to disagree with comparisons between Oak Park and Evanston as if they are totally the same but just merely in different parts of Chicagoland. I think Evanston offers more in terms of good shopping, restaurants, and the beauty of the Lake -- plus all the North Shore towns that extend beyond it-- and then the vibrancy of the north side of Chicago to the south. All that said, convenience to the Loop rules the day for us, so we so appreciate the short commute time.

Someone once said to me that Oak Park, while they very much like it "isn't urban enough and isn't suburban enough." So it's not like the urban downtown has the vibrancy of Bucktown-- but it also doesn't have what I view as some of the nicer attributes of "real" suburbs -- bigger setbacks from the street, less traffic, a slightly more bucolic feel.... Of course, different strokes for different folks -- but these are the things that have struck me in my time here.....

Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
We live in Oak Park. The commute into downtown for work cannot be beat. I also love that the there's diversity here, plus what I view as a real lack of "conspicuous consumption." On the other hand, I think that good restaurants are really lacking here, and I don't think the surrounding towns make for a very nice region or mini-region-- in the same way that say if you lived in LaGrange, you'd have the very nice Western Springs/Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills, etc. offerings and charm as an extension of where you live. The downtown has some limited offerings in terms of shops, but for more substantial shopping, I find that it means getting on one expressway or another (and while yes, you can argue that it's only a 15-minute jaunt on the expressway into downtown or to Oak Brook, I personally would like more convenience in shopping a little closer to home -- but this is of course my personal preference and others may feel differently.)
Being surrounded by Berwyn, Austin, Maywood, Galewood, and Elmwood Park is not the most inspiring setting. OP and River Forest is an island. In any direction when you leave the borders of OP/RF, it is not an attractive setting.

Quote:
I also have come to disagree with comparisons between Oak Park and Evanston as if they are totally the same but just merely in different parts of Chicagoland. I think Evanston offers more in terms of good shopping, restaurants, and the beauty of the Lake -- plus all the North Shore towns that extend beyond it-- and then the vibrancy of the north side of Chicago to the south.
You are correct, which is why Evanston has a significant price difference above OP.

Quote:
Someone once said to me that Oak Park, while they very much like it "isn't urban enough and isn't suburban enough." So it's not like the urban downtown has the vibrancy of Bucktown-- but it also doesn't have what I view as some of the nicer attributes of "real" suburbs -- bigger setbacks from the street, less traffic, a slightly more bucolic feel.... Of course, different strokes for different folks -- but these are the things that have struck me in my time here.....
You real nailed it as far as Oak Park is concerned. I spent 13 years in OP, and I agree with your comments.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks, JacksonPanther. So glad to know I'm not alone. It's been bugging me for a while.

Edit: I should add that I almost should retitle this thread "Things (Good or Bad) You Didn't Realize About the Chicago Suburb You Chose to Move To" -- and I really would love to hear from others about where they live. It will certainly help me better understand other suburbs if I hear the little-known or less obvious facts,nuances, or impressions about them from insiders who live there.

Last edited by Doglover5; 01-04-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM

374 posts, read 1,035,942 times
I've been in Oak Park for a little over two years and I love it. I think the restaurants are fantastic; I am so pleased with the varied offerings of excellent high end food. Although I agree that the surrounding towns are not that great, both Berwyn and Elmwood Park offer some tasty ethnic food options. Finally, it doesn't really bother me that Oak Park's "mini region" isn't that great, because Chicago has everything and we are so close to everything it has to offer. In other words, my commute from the OP to Chicago is the same as if I lived in Western Springs and needed something from Downer's Grove. (Slightly off topic, a friend of mine is not moving to LaGrange or Western Springs because she thinks the towns around there are terrible (Summit, McCook and I think she saw a part of Brookfield) - they are moving to Wilmette or Glenview instead).

Here are some negatives about Oak Park (other than taxes and some crime): I wish clothes shopping was better. I wish there was a Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and a Sephora. I felt the same way about Lincoln Square, by the way, as I wanted the same stores up there. Evanston has a much nicer downtown.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 AM

363 posts, read 439,238 times
Okay. I live in Thornton, a south suburb. It is not a crime-ridden, horrible slum (surprise!) but the schools are not great. The taxes are high, considering there is so little offered in exchange. It is a boring little town that actually had a town meeting over whether to allow a 7-11 to open within its borders. It has two bars, a liquor/convenience store, and several small businesses that are open whenever the owners feel like doing business. It is surrounded by forest preserves and a lake. It is convenient to the city, via train (Metra) and major expressways, but doesn't yet have its own Metra train stop. I thought it had more of a small town feeling when I moved here (17 years ago), with several generations of families living here.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
(Slightly off topic, a friend of mine is not moving to LaGrange or Western Springs because she thinks the towns around there are terrible (Summit, McCook and I think she saw a part of Brookfield) - they are moving to Wilmette or Glenview instead).
Have you ever visited Orlando? Or San Diego? If so, you may have noticed how clean and crisp those towns and suburbs look - the term I use is "sharp." I don't know how ritzy those towns are, but everywhere I drove looked really "sharp."

The Chicago western suburbs do not look "sharp." Not even the ritzy towns (Hinsdale, Naperville) although they come closest. Perhaps the harsh winters just make everything look blah over time?

Someone moving into Chi from a place like Orlando might very well feel disappointed in areas that surround Oak Park, or Western Springs. I can see why they would feel more comfortable in the north burbs. Places that are ugly like McCook or Summit just doesn't exist in the north burbs. At least not until you are WAY up north into Waukegan.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
I live in Oak Park and while it is a great area, there is not much to do there food-wise or entertainment-wise. It is highly convenient and apart from a few blocks from austin a pretty nice area.

People are a little liberal for my taste, but they are mostly just talk.

It is diverse but not as diverse as most people think (few hispanics) and still is fairly segregated along racial lines with areas west of ridgeland as mostly white and areas east of ridgeland more mixed. Elmwood Park is not that bad as a neighbor and has good food.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,342 times
I live in Lake Bluff which is really the northern part of Lake Forest. We've lived here for around 18 months.

Our major reasons for moving here were the commute to my husbands job in Lake Forest which can't vr beat and the newly built school in the highly regarded school district. While we had had some small issues with the school we are still happy with it. I wouldn't be disappointed if my kids stayed in this district at all.

Other things we like about living here - the lake with it's beautiful private beach, the old school feel of the village, the proximity to the highway and US41. The people are very nice and despite the nearby affluence, very down to earth.

Things that haven't worked out for us - distance from the city has really been a problem for us. No express trains on the Metra line that runs here is a pain. And it's 40 miles to the Loop. The price of property is still an issue for us as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,275 times
I live in the general Downers Grove area. Lived a good portion on my life on the southwest side of Chicago and a short time on the northwest side. I love where I live, and basically would never want to move and really have no need to. I miss nothing about living in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs