Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times

Advertisements

I think areas such as Frankfort will become more racially diverse, but much of this will be driven by growth of Hispanic population.

The hispanic population is growing faster than any other segment of the population.

Urza,

I am not a fan of Crete. It used to be somewhat isolated from the south suburbs of Chicago but I think this has changed over the past 10 years. What was once a cute little country town is now a lower middle class suburb which has seen crime pick up in recent years.

Allen,

Hispanics (Mexicans from direct conversations I have had) prefer good schools and housing to racial diversity. Many hispanics come from large extended families and keep to themselves outside of their close family and friends. My girlfriend's parents in Aurora hardly speak with their neighbors apart from the occasional hello and socialize mostly with their large extended family and friends who are also from the same area in Mexico where they come from.

I have seen the same thing with my tenants in Humboldt Park. They mostly hang out with family and friends from similar parts of Mexico. Good schools and low crime are much more important to them than diversity, though they are not against diversity.

Many hispanics are okay with being the only hispanic on the block so long as they live in a nice area with good schools and are not too far from family and friends. My girlfriend's parents are the only Hispanics on their block and it does not bother them a bit as their relative and friends are only a short car drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
I think it is becoming a little more diverse, but as Humboldt1 noted, it would be more so from the Hispanic population. It seems as though the southwest and some parts of the northwest suburbs have hispanics as the largest minority group (except for some northwest suburbs where Asians are the largest minority). While the Black population will probably grow in Frankfort, it probably may not be by much. I think the Black population will grow more in Tinley Park (the area by Frankfort Square) before growing more in Frankfort.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM

829 posts, read 2,087,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

I am not a fan of Crete. It used to be somewhat isolated from the south suburbs of Chicago but I think this has changed over the past 10 years. What was once a cute little country town is now a lower middle class suburb which has seen crime pick up in recent years.
As of the most recent 2009 US Census American Community Survey the median family income in crete is $86,694. Comparable to tinley park which is 87,717.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I think it is becoming a little more diverse, but as Humboldt1 noted, it would be more so from the Hispanic population. It seems as though the southwest and some parts of the northwest suburbs have hispanics as the largest minority group (except for some northwest suburbs where Asians are the largest minority). While the Black population will probably grow in Frankfort, it probably may not be by much. I think the Black population will grow more in Tinley Park (the area by Frankfort Square) before growing more in Frankfort.

The black population has grown slightly in tinley park. But, the largest growth of blacks has been seen recently in Frankfort. The black population in frankfort more than doubled to 1,102. Way up from just 258 in 2000. The hispanic population has also increased to 635. The Hispanic population in homewood also has more than doubled to 7 percent or 1,334. Asians also increased in olympia fields to 4.4 percent.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Allen

Estimated median household income in 2009: $78,487 (it was $67,671 in 2000)
Crete:$78,487
Illinois:$53,966

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Crete-...#ixzz1AHA19GKE

Please use correct data. I agree that $78K is not low-income and definitely puts Crete at middle class, but I do not like the direction in which the town is going.

Here is Frankfort:

Estimated median household income in 2009: $96,330 (it was $83,055 in 2000)
Frankfort:$96,330
Illinois:$53,966

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Frankf...#ixzz1AHAc866z

Last edited by linicx; 01-06-2011 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Windows code does not work in C-D Forums. Black is the standard font color.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM

I got $86,694 median family income for crete and $87,717 for tinley park directly from the census.gov website which recently released the new US census American Community Survey in December 2010. If you compare city data's info, tinley park's median household income is $70,141 and crete's median household income is $78,487. And I never compared crete to frankfort? Frankfort is by far a more affluent suburb than crete or tinley park. The most recent census data has Frankfort's median family income at $122,045.

Last edited by allen2323; 01-06-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I got $86,694 median family income for crete and $87,717 for tinley park directly from the census.gov website which recently released the new US census American Community Survey in December 2010. If you compare city data's info, tinley park's median household income is $70,141 and crete's median household income is $78,487. And I never compared crete to frankfort? Frankfort is by far a more affluent suburb than crete or tinley park. The most recent census data has Frankfort's median family income at $122,045.
Allen -- Can you post a link directly to the portion of the Census site you are getting this data from, or at least describe how to get to it? Not that I'm a computer pro by any means but I'm having trouble finding data for individual communities from the 2010 Census on the site. All I'm seeing is State level data. I'm sure it will be of interest to people who want to look up their own areas. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Allen -- Can you post a link directly to the portion of the Census site you are getting this data from, or at least describe how to get to it? Not that I'm a computer pro by any means but I'm having trouble finding data for individual communities from the 2010 Census on the site. All I'm seeing is State level data. I'm sure it will be of interest to people who want to look up their own areas. Thanks!
Census Bureau Home Page

On the right side column of the home page it says in red "data finder". Under that there is a field where you can type in your city or suburb and choose your state. On the next page click on fact sheet. That will bring you to the American Community Survey just released in december, 2010. And also the old 2000 census is also available.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The data Allen is giving came from 2005-2009 ACS. In another month or two, the 2010 info will be out.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
State and County Quick Facts from the US Census. Check your county or your city.

Illinois QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs