U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 PM

74 posts, read 254,516 times

Advertisements

My first house purchase when I was 23 was in orland hills. I moved there because it was close to everything at it was cheaper than the surrounding areas. I grew up in tinley less than a mile away where my parents house was twice as much as the one I bought and really not that much bigger! When I was younger we would rarely ride our bikes west of 88th ave in the orland hills area, but that was years ago and the neighborhood changed greatly. If you have any sense about buying property you would understand that if there is a town squashed in the middle of two very affluent areas with great schools, booming business, solid property taxes, and a stable local government then that will eventually trickle into the community in the middle...i.e. orland hills.
I also lived in the 'old' area of OH on Haven where many of the homes were once section 8 that are now well over 200k and the block is littered with young, hardworking couples and their kids. My property taxes did jump a lot though, from 1.7k when I first purchased to 3.6k when I sold three years later.
In three years I made nearly 80k on the selling price on my home, families were quickly moving in and I found the community to be very pleasant. Rarely locked my doors and knew all my neighbors well.
There also is a large section of OH south of medowview that were 400k-650k homes. Nice walking paths and two large lakes that homes were built around.
OH has certainly changed over the years and its turning into a better and better community. Once the housing market picks up again, you will see the prices continue to rise in the area. Oh, and if you drive down the 'bad' old parts of OH you will see many of the homes had large additions added, adding value to the home and visually to the community.
I guess I lived pretty close to the section 8 apartments, but never saw anything of concern in the old area of OH where I lived. The apartments on 88th ave behind the mancary dealership were once section 8, but are now condo's that go for a price near that of orland park living.
two thumbs up also for OH. Glad I lived there and would move back in a heartbeat if I had to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
Obviously if you were going to move next to the projects before you knew that they were must show the class of people that stay there as well as yours. There is no hiding poverty, hate, fear, nor a feeling of superiority. Imagine how some feel about you. In their eyes you are poor too and possibly borderline desperate. Just keep in mind those people that live in the projects they are at home. Don't move to Orland Park. Try your luck out here in Highland Park, Il.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 888 times
I believe that I am victimized by corruption and false accusations that occurred to me. I had corrupt and judgemental and racist police officers in the town of Orland Hills IL and Orland Park IL accuse me of crimes I never committed. Now I am getting paid for it as well as the grand larcenies I was also victimized of from the multimillion dollars of worth original screenplays I had written over the past decade. I also want to mention I am thankful for my paybacks... As quoted in our Bill Of Rights... "nor shalt private property be taken for public use without JUST COMPENSATIONS..." it isn't nearly enough of what I am actually owed. I just try to pray privately and be thankful for what I am earning for Gods sake and hopefully someday I will earn a LUMP SUM of what I am actually owed and move out of the state of corruptions I consistently witness in ILLINOIS and live in Hawaii, California, Arizona, or Nevada. Thanks to you all reading my honest freedoms of expressions choices and speeches I wrote here. SINCERELY, MR. J.P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs