Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,954 times

Advertisements

Are there gay catholics on this forum in the western suburbs of Chicago, specifically in the areas of Naperville, Aurora?

I am looking for gay friendly Catholic churches or Episcopal Churches. If you know of any, please provide the info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,755,318 times
TBH, I can't imagine why anyone who is gay wants to attend an institution that considers them wrong in their very being, but....

Chicago Suburbs Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender (GLBT) Welcoming Places of Worship

http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_illinois.htm (broken link)

Good luck

Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,294,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
TBH, I can't imagine why anyone who is gay wants to attend an institution that considers them wrong in their very being, but....

Chicago Suburbs Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender (GLBT) Welcoming Places of Worship

http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_illinois.htm (broken link)

Good luck
Not all religions or even sects of Christianity consider homosexuality "wrong".

I see nothing wrong with religious individuals who happen to be gay seeking out places of worship where they will feel welcomed, and as evidenced by your links, they do exist!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 PM

121 posts, read 317,475 times
Quote:
Most Catholics in America that I know are against many of the church's stances on issues like homosexuality. That's why there's an "American Catholic" movement.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,300,345 times
I think there may be one or two in Oak Park.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM

16 posts, read 40,428 times
I hope this helps a little, I'm Catholic though I'm not a gay Catholic.....I just moved from Naperville (a four year stint). FYI-The western suburbs are probably the more conservative suburbs of Chicago. There is a Catholic church in Naperville near the Bolingbrook line called Church of the Nazarene. It's a contemporary Catholic church and we really liked it. I must say, my whole four years in Naperville I can honestly say that I never saw any prejudice against homosexuality though I'm sure it's there. I just never saw it. St. Mary's is a large Church in Plainfield down SR 59. I've not visited there but I know plenty of people who did and they liked it fine. I don't think you will have a problem. If you do, there are PLENTY of Catholic churches to try. It may take a couple to find the one you like.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,514,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Air View Post
Most Catholics in America that I know are against many of the church's stances on issues like homosexuality. That's why there's an "American Catholic" movement.
Most Catholics in America that you know? That's a pretty broad statement. I am Catholic and don't really agree with the gay lifestyle at all.

I will agree that this is one area I do find to be somewhat hypocritical. I mean many catholics have premarital sex, use birth control, drink heavily, etc, etc, etc. These people are still part of the church even though they are going against some of the churches teachings and I dont think there's nearly the amoount of criticism against them than their is against a gay person who is going against church teachings as well.

Not sure if thats just because looking at someone you cant tell those things the same way you would be able to tell two guys are gay if they show up together with a baby for example or if its because of some other reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs