Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,774,183 times

Advertisements

Hi Oak Parker's,

My family and I are looking at Oak Park as a possible place to live because of the schools, and it looks like a nice place. There are many things I like about OP from the things I have read and the very few times I've visited. I've read a bunch of threads on here discussing the issues with crime in the village, and how it's mostly due to the spill-over from Austin. In general the opinions were that the further west of Austin Blvd you are the less crime you may encounter (with the exception of some streets). I've also looked at the Oak Park police crime blotter, and the other threads have been useful so far, but I wanted to ask more specifically what people thought of the NE section of Oak Park, between Chicago and North, Ridgeland Ave and Austin Ave. Going by the, "the more west of Austin the safer", rule of thumb, is there a difference in safety going say 2 or 3 blocks west of Austin vs going 5 or 6 blocks west of Austin?

I hope this does not come off as offensive to anyone, I'm just trying to get a feel for the area through you all who are in the know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chitownperson; 02-09-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM

374 posts, read 1,031,031 times
I have friends in that area and they love it. Neither family has been a victim of crime and each has been there for 5 years or so. They love Hatch School too. Personally, I would feel more comfortable on Harvey or Cuyler than I would on Taylor, for example, but most people who know the area would disagree with me. I have friends who live right on Austin and they couldn't be happier!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks for your response, Kindra.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 AM

214 posts, read 542,941 times
Other than living right on Austin, I don't think it really matters. Bad guys typically come in cars. A few blocks doesn't matter. Keep your garage locked. Keep an outside light on. Be city-smart. It's like city living. It all depends what your tolerance and background is. I know several people who live in that area who love it and have never had a problem.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,839,271 times
Default Closer to Ridgeland is better

But more expensive. You do not want to be within a block or two of Austin. Also, the housing stock is not nearly as nice as when you approach Ridgeland. It gets even nicer west of Ridgeland but it really comes down to your budget.

For example, the Subway, at north and Austin (north of north avenue, and west of Austin blvd) has bulletproof glass for the servers. Do you really want to live within a block of this?

Ridgeland is the line for those with a bigger budget. For those with a smaller budget, maybe Lombard. East of Lombard and especially humphrey you can definitely see the spillover from Austin.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 PM

Thank you both for your honest replies.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,300,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
For example, the Subway, at north and Austin (north of north avenue, and west of Austin blvd) has bulletproof glass for the servers. Do you really want to live within a block of this?
One might as well just live in North Austin, it is a hell of a lot cheaper!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
One might as well just live in North Austin, it is a hell of a lot cheaper!
I suppose that would be fine if Oak Park schools weren't a consideration.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,884,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
I suppose that would be fine if Oak Park schools weren't a consideration.
Also better police response and better libraries, to name just a few. Of course our property taxes are considerably higher as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:37 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,839,271 times
Schools may be better in Oak Park but Chicago did a much better job clearing the roads last week. While driving north on Oak Park Ave it went from snow-covered to clear as I crossed north ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs