U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM

142 posts, read 286,117 times

Advertisements

Hi all...
I posted a NWI vs. IL burbs thread a week or so ago. Thanks for the feedback there. I received a lot of valuable feedback. My wife and I are curious though, which IL suburbs would have the lowest property taxes but still be a nice area to raise a family. We still want an area we can get a decent sized home (2000 sq ft or so) with a decent sized yard. Also, very important that a Metra station is nearby! One preferably that has actual parking that one can use!!!

Here are some suburbs that we received listings from our realtor...
Plainfield, Romeoville, Bolingbrook - these in particular had some very nice homes, but really high taxes. I would say the average was $8k annual. Are we just wasting our time looking, or can we find what we are looking for and have taxes under $5k a year?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM

17 posts, read 9,639 times
University Park

Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 PM

I just looked at the demographics of University Park - 12% White - We would be a minority here. Don't get me wrong, we have no problem with diversity - some of our close friends are African American. That's not the issue, just want to purchase a home in an area that we aren't the minority.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Just looked at some homes in Monee. Property tax on a $250k home is anywhere from $7-10k on the homes I viewed. Do you consider that low?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks but I would just choose Dyer IN in that case - just as far from the city and already know IN has much lower taxes. I'm looking for something 30-40 min Metra ride that has low taxes (if that is even possible - by low I mean $4-5k or lower) and we can find a decent home for $250k. For example, Arlington Heights and Palatine had some, but there wasn't a huge selection. Are there other Arlington Heights/Palatines out there?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 AM

5,463 posts, read 6,377,353 times
How about Morton Grove? It has a Metra stop. Or Niles? It's close to Chicago Metra stops.
Skokie? Can take yellow line/CTA instead of Metra. Decent schools, close proximity to city more reasonable taxes than other nearby suburbs.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,673,182 times
What I noticed was that the more affluent a suburb, the lower the property tax. Barrington for example tops off between 1.5 and 1.8%.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Interesting

Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,714,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch101 View Post
Hi all...
I posted a NWI vs. IL burbs thread a week or so ago. Thanks for the feedback there. I received a lot of valuable feedback. My wife and I are curious though, which IL suburbs would have the lowest property taxes but still be a nice area to raise a family. We still want an area we can get a decent sized home (2000 sq ft or so) with a decent sized yard. Also, very important that a Metra station is nearby! One preferably that has actual parking that one can use!!!

Here are some suburbs that we received listings from our realtor...
Plainfield, Romeoville, Bolingbrook - these in particular had some very nice homes, but really high taxes. I would say the average was $8k annual. Are we just wasting our time looking, or can we find what we are looking for and have taxes under $5k a year?

Thanks
Maybe this thread will help you:

Property taxes

It's strangely similar to your post - perhaps it will help.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM

It is similar - just trying to understand the area and gain as much perspective as possible. I think if we want to be within a 30-40 min commute on train, have lower prop taxes, and spend $250k on a decent home, we will probably trade the AMAZING big home in NWI for the smaller home but still nice in perhaps Arlington Heights, Palatine, Wheeling, Buff Grove, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs