U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM

23 posts, read 47,033 times

Advertisements

Is Channahon, IL considered a chicago suburb? It seems like a nice area. I like all the parks and little islands. However it seems a bit small and out of the way. I was wondering if the area has good shopping and restaurants. I have looked at the website, but I would like to get other peoples opinion of the area. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM

19 posts, read 25,116 times
I grew up in Minooka, IL with Channahon being considered a sister town of sorts. There has been a recent (last 10 years) increase in population in both towns. A larger minority shift has occurred in both due to lower priced housing options but majority tends to be Caucasian blue collar type. 10 years ago you may have referenced both as farm communities where neither would appear so today. Your typical fast food joints and strip mall type shopping/restaurants have moved in. For shopping and dining, people find themselves traveling to Joliet/Naperville/Plainfield areas.

Channahon schools are decent. They are serviced by Minooka's high schools. A new campus opened a few years ago where grades 9-10 go to the south campus and grades 11-12 go to the north campus.

Channahon park district is great. They have a few different park options, with the center being focused around the water park. The I&M canal and bike path runs through the center, so if you enjoy outdoor activities, you can typically find whatever you are looking for. Heritage bluffs is still in my opinion the most underrated golf course in chicagoland.

Lastly, the commute can be terrible if you work too far north. I55 does have two exits at Channahon and I80 is not far either, but you will encounter traffic in the morning and evening rush hours if you have to travel through the Bolingbrook corridor. The nearest metra option is the Joliet downtown stop.
Good luck

Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM

23 posts, read 47,033 times
Thank you for the info. I have a want list of a mile long; its hard to find everything I want and still be able to afford it. I want a good size home no less than 2250 sf, good community and safe neighborhoods with great schools plus close to civilization, with a decent commute (Lisle). Does this exist on a limited budget? ($200,000 or less)?
again thank you for the info.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:17 AM

10,653 posts, read 6,548,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millkri View Post
Thank you for the info. I have a want list of a mile long; its hard to find everything I want and still be able to afford it. I want a good size home no less than 2250 sf, good community and safe neighborhoods with great schools plus close to civilization, with a decent commute (Lisle). Does this exist on a limited budget? ($200,000 or less)?
again thank you for the info.
With those requirements, not going to happen. Channahon is well in the "boonies" and the commute to lisle would be horrid.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 AM

19 posts, read 25,116 times
I wouldn't discount Channahon to Lisle. If you are able to telecommute or massage your working hours a little, this is doable. However, you may be better off looking in Oswego or Batavia area. With your house requirements, you are not going to find what you're looking for in Lisle or Naperville with the budget you mentioned.

You may want to also consider some of the towns along the 355 south extension. The commute to Lisle from a town like Lockport, Mokena would not be bad. The schools are good and the house prices are currently attractive in these two towns.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times
I have a home for sale in Channahon, IL MOD EDIT near parks and school.

Please repost your ad here: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/classified-ads/[/url]

Last edited by linicx; 05-21-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs