U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 PM

1,432 posts, read 2,137,724 times
There's been talk for quite some time for a KRM (Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee) connecting train that will link with the Union Pacific North line train out of Chicago. Currently this train terminates in Kenosha, Wisconsin (although some of the trains only go up to Waukegan). In any case, the goal of this KRM train is to link up that Kenosha station with Milwaukee and points in between including Somers, Racine, Caledonia, Oak Creek, South Milwaukee, Cudahy-St. Francis, Milwaukee-South Side. Although Amtrak runs a train called the Hiawatha between Milwaukee and Chicago, it has far fewer stops, and serves an entirely different market. The KRM Commuter Link would be the way to go for example, if you were trying to commute from Racine, Wisconsin to Lake Forest, Illinois. Amtrak is #1, a lot more expensive to ride than the proposed KRM alternative (roughly $11 vs. $21 on the Amtrak), and is truly meant for the city to city express ride rather than the points in between. I am not sure how far the federal funding progress is for this project, but I really hope that it gets funded & completed within a few years. This project truly depends on the State of Wisconsin to step up to the plate and provide the necessary funds (probably from various taxes) to finance this project. I think that this train could provide a nice boost to the region. Here are some related links:

KRMonline - Home
Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee Commuter Trains
The UWM Post - Rail to connect Milwaukee to Chicago (http://uwmpost.com/article/50/25/1109-Rail-to-connect-Milwaukee-to-Chicago - broken link)
JS Online: Rail link could reinforce cities' ties
KRM gains Milw boost
Milwaukee Biz Blog - Small Business Times (http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwaukee-biz-blog/authors/rosemary-potter - broken link)
OakcreekNOW.com: KRM rail plan gains steam (http://www.oakcreeknow.com/story/index.aspx?id=577563 - broken link)
Watchdog Milwaukee - Planning the Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee commuter line (http://watchdogmilwaukee.com/DW/2005-Kenosha-Milw.htm - broken link)

Here's a Wisconsinite that is opposed to the KRM train (and Wisconsin spending money on it):

Milwaukee-ID10T: KRM (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klog View Post
I hear a lot of rumors, but can anyone shed some light on the status of Metra extending lines on the UP Northwest from Harvard or the line that goes out to Elburn? I hear Rockford, Beloit, Janesville.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,912 times
Any new updates on this proposed Metra extension? I have noticed that Marengo has revamped their downtown area as well. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,791,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
There's talk of intiating Amtrak service to Rockford/Galena/Dubuque via Elgin. Apparently, theres a good chance this could actually happen within a few years.
That would be awesome.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 AM

5,099 posts, read 7,651,082 times
Recent news regarding Rockford rail service.

Rockford commuter-rail service efforts move along slowly - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

The article states Amtrak service could be restored as early as 2009 or 2010. Apparently there's also some talk of establishing commuter rail or bus service as well.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:57 PM

10,069 posts, read 16,890,300 times
Belivdere, ay? Rockford could become a Chicago suburb yet! And if Rockford falls, Racine and Milwaukee could be next!

(The census already considers Kenosha part of the Chicago metro area).

Old 03-17-2008, 07:51 AM

5,099 posts, read 7,651,082 times
Unfortunately, KRM seems dead for now.

JS Online: Upgrade plans screech to a halt

Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Unfortunately, KRM seems dead for now.

JS Online: Upgrade plans screech to a halt
Well you know, if they want more people to move to Wisconsin from Illinois they should be making this happen...

Btw-Milwaukee has buses?! In all the times I have been there I have never seen ONE!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 AM

2,041 posts, read 3,428,723 times
That's right, Milwaukee is just one of the many metro areas with over million people with no transit system.I must have been hallucinating those times when I thought I was traveling in a rectangular box down the street.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
Default Rockford Metra

Jeff, any idea (or best guess) when this line will be active to Huntley/Marengo/Belvidere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hill View Post
The rumors you hear are correct. Belvidere already has the plans approved and ready to rock. They are already in the process of re-vamping their downtown area to accommodate the line. There is also a "high density" area that will be developed right along I-90 across the street (to the south) from the Chrysler plant. This high density area will have a main terminal for the Metra that will include several shops in the main level with condos built on top. Belvidere will actually have two stops along the line with one being their "high density" area and the other being right in the downtown area.
This is the Big Timber line, which currently ends in Elgin. It will extend to the north, through Huntley and Marengo.

The long term plan is to have the same line extend all the way up to Madison WI. Of course, that's several years away though.

[URL="http://www.growthdimensions.org/largemap.asp"]Here is a link to the drawing/diagram as to where the line will run.[/URL]

Feel free to PM me for additional information.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
That's right, Milwaukee is just one of the many metro areas with over million people with no transit system.I must have been hallucinating those times when I thought I was traveling in a rectangular box down the street.
I actually saw a few buses the last time I was there in May for the first time out of like 50 times I have been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs