U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:11 AM

587 posts, read 1,495,435 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm not one to not believe what someone says, but right now it seems like you have a pretty aloft and "pie in the sky" feeling of economic stability and blasť feelings of finding a job. The very real life situation for a lot of people in this area is they have been without a job for a year plus. I am assuming you have at least $30,000 solid dollars saved up because this is what you will need for at least a year. What kind of health care is your husband in? Depending upon his field the Certs and experience might not transfer here. Are you sure he can find a job? What are you studying and hoping to do after you graduate? You covered by any health insurance? There is a very real possibility you might both have $12 an hour jobs after a year if there isn't more of a game plan. That's not much fun for a bunch of 30 year olds who relocated 900 miles. Hope there's a better game plan in the works than what you are letting on to. Not being a Debbie Downer, just a realist.

So move to an area with no job plans, to an area with a depressed job market and still be a 3+ hour drive from family. Also a State with a 5% income tax coming from a State with 0. Yes, that means 5% of your salary is bye bye. I now make $140 a month less because of the increase. Guess I'm not following the gain. If you are economically so stable why not buy a place in Houston where there are not shootings and crime like you claim where you live now? Sorry, I'm a cynic by nature

Last edited by ofcjim40; 03-10-2011 at 03:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 17,743 times
Thank you everyone for the wonderful information! I think I have what I need now. Ill update when I get to the area and let you know where we end up!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 5,358,278 times
[quote=jlynnb08;18148760]I AM A PACKER FAN! GO PACK GO! So, I will be right at home haha
Thanks! I appreciate that help. Im ready for the change in weather which really wont be a change SO much since I spent the first 19 years of my life in Northern Michigan (the UP). I actually am the only person in tx that doesnt complain when it gets 'cold' lol

What south burbs are nice? Some people scared me off from the south side of chicago so I have not explored there much.

Well the south side and the south suburbs are two different things. The south side is probably a last resort but you can find some decent places on the south loop. The south suburbs to check out would definitely be the Orland Park/Tinley Park area, Naperville/Bolingbrook which also includes Plainfield, Romeoville, and even Joliet, also if you want to be more west look into St.Charles/Geneva/.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 PM

2,220 posts, read 5,247,662 times
Well after today's earthquake in Japan, you can be grateful we have only the occasional tornado that cause any damage, which affects a vastly smaller area. We have had a couple earthquakes, but most people never noticed and we're not on any major fault lines. Also no tsunamis and no hurricanes. For that matter, this year's blizzard was the first in 40 years. We're really in a pretty good spot to avoid natural disasters. It can be tough trying to find positives of living in Chicagoland, but that's one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs