Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM

15 posts, read 50,376 times

Advertisements

I had posted about considering a move to Naperville but was concerned about comments about the lack of diversity (and had read some earlier postings about racism). Is there a more diverse Chicago suburb where you can still have the low crime/good schools I see in Naperville? I was born here (in Chicago actually) but my parents are Cuban and am married to a white American. We've been raising our kids bilingual and they are tan with dark hair and brown eyes. I never think about being a "minority" but in a place like Miami we have so many different cultures no one sticks out. I don't want to move somewhere that my kids may be excluded. I thought most people in the midwest were pretty open to different cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,205,099 times
Most people are open. But like anywhere you go, theres a few nutballs who are racist and hate everyone/everything. Up here, there are LOTS of Hispanics, so you should feel right at home, even in Naperville. Although there arent lots of Hispanics in Naperville, neighboring Aurora is full of them, and Plainfield/Lisle also has a decent population. So even though Napervillians might not go to school with alot of Hispanics, theyre sure used to seeing them around town, I dont think your kids would be discriminated against. You might also want to look into West Chicago's north side. LOTS of Hispanics in that town, and decent schools too.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 AM

102 posts, read 162,437 times
Waubonsie Valley High School in Indian Prarie #204 is more diverse than Neuqua,Naperville North and Central. Waubonsie feeds into portions of Aurora and Naperville. If you want diversity, the portion of Aurora that feeds into Indian Prarie #204 would be a match for you. Oswego or Montgomery are pretty diverse too. Plus, you will be close to Aurora's east side where there are plenty of Latino stores. Everyone is going to say Aurora's east side is full of Mexicans and to stay away from the area because it is bad, but I frequent that area plenty of times to shop at the ethnic stores, and I don't get messed with.

Oswego has a dual language program for children entering kindergarden. They are matched with Spanish and English speaking kids, and they are taught in Spanish until 5th grade. I want to get into that district.

I am married to a Latino too.

Naperville is not full of Latinos and the police are pretty racist.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrik2714 View Post
Naperville is not full of Latinos and the police are pretty racist.
Noone said it was.

And the police are racist? What grounds do you have to justify this claim?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:53 PM

I see the amount of people they pull over, it is pretty much minorities they pull over.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM

94 posts, read 465,994 times
I don't understand why so many latinos get offended when they get pulled over in naperville. Growing up in Glen Ellyn, I can honestly remember a time when they simply werent really in dupage county, safe places like west chicago or bensenville...And since most of these people didnt immigrate here legally, i think it is reasonable for police to be on their toes in naperville. After all people want to keep their communities safe.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrik2714 View Post
I see the amount of people they pull over, it is pretty much minorities they pull over.
Im not a minority and I get pulled over 2-3 times a year for stupid crap. I get yanked FAR more than any of my Hispanic friends, especially in Wheaton. If you get pulled over, its for good reason, regardless of race.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 29,210 times
My husband and I are also considering the move to Naperville. I really appreciate all the feed back, it's great to get a feel for the Chicago Suburbs. He will definately be working downtown Naperville, so we want to stick around that area, but one of the reasons we want to move out of L.A. is the cost of living - We really want limit our mortgage so we can put more away for our daughter's college fund and have some actual fun money . We have a pool now, and live in a neighborhood that we all talk to one another on a daily basis, so a community with a pool/tennis club sounds appealing. Any neighborhoods with great schools and churches under 400k? On line it seems like it's more in the 450K range...is that accurate? Also, if we decide to go - it will be the end of December beginning of January....any thoughts about relocating during what I understand to be frigid months?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
I don't understand why so many latinos get offended when they get pulled over in naperville. Growing up in Glen Ellyn, I can honestly remember a time when they simply werent really in dupage county, safe places like west chicago or bensenville...And since most of these people didnt immigrate here legally, i think it is reasonable for police to be on their toes in naperville. After all people want to keep their communities safe.
So basically what you are saying is Latinos are going to bring these communities down? What difference does it make if they are here legally or not you shouldn't get pulled over for driving while black or mexican. Most Latinos are hard working and provide for their families. I think the most dangerous people in Naperville are the teenagers who were born with silver spoons in their mouths who get away with anything because their parents have money.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM

92 posts, read 444,957 times
In my experience, the Chicagoland area on a whole is quite diverse, much more so than 10 years ago, for example. I'm not too familiar with the Naperville area, as I'm more a NW burb gal. I really can't see your kids having any problem, because to me this whole area has become so mixed. That's just my opinion though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs