U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM

121 posts, read 277,888 times

Advertisements

During our house hunting trip last week, my husband and I looked at homes in Barrington, Arlington, Mount Prospect, Hyde Park (not a burb, but it's where I'm from so we looked around), and St. Charles/Geneva. Our favorites of the burbs were definitely Barrington and the St. Charles/Geneva area. Well, at least until we really started looking into the commutes. Is there anything remotely similar to them closer to the city in maybe a 45 minutes or less commuting range to the loop? (In terms of excellent schools, nice house for around 900k [3+ BR, 2.5+ BA], activities, feel.) We really weren't thrilled Mt. Prospect and Arlington, but if we can't find anything else, we may rent there for a year to see. We're taking another trip up next week so we're looking to get some more ideas. We have three kids under school age and one will be starting next year, so we really want to find a long-term home before our move in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 PM

167 posts, read 310,487 times
That is a nice budget and I personally would look in the North Shore, Hinsdale, Northbrook. Honestly, I can't imagine that you will not be able to find what you are looking for in these areas.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,204,916 times
Default Why were you looking so far out?!?

If you have $900K to spend you can get into some pretty gosh darned nice stuff A LOT CLOSER to Chicago than Barrington or St. Charles!!!

Western Springs, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Oak Brook, Burr Ridge, Indian Head Park and Elmhurst would be top choices for eastern DuPage / Western Cook.

If you prefer NW Park Ridge fits nicely.

If you head due north Evanston, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe and Kennilworth are terrific.

Obviously towns that are oriented toward the Metra trains are going to have much easier commutes into the Loop, and there is trade off between enormous lot sizes vs more walkable towns, but the schools in all the towns I listed are generally among the most desirable in the region...

I suppose if you want some rural-ish feel there are even spots around Naperville, Lisle, Wheaton and Glen Ellyn that would work, as well as parts of Orland / Palos...

What sort of work schedule / location do you have???

Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,795,776 times
jeesh u should be able to find a house that fits your requirements anywhere in the state for that much, good luck

Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

121 posts, read 277,888 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far! We'll be sure to look into them.

Quote:
If you have $900K to spend you can get into some pretty gosh darned nice stuff A LOT CLOSER to Chicago than Barrington or St. Charles!!!
It was more that we loved the downtowns and availability to have horses and such. I'm still open to them, but my husband is hesitant about the distance.

Quote:
Western Springs, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Oak Brook, Burr Ridge, Indian Head Park and Elmhurst would be top choices for eastern DuPage / Western Cook.

If you prefer NW Park Ridge fits nicely.

If you head due north Evanston, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe and Kennilworth are terrific.

Obviously towns that are oriented toward the Metra trains are going to have much easier commutes into the Loop, and there is trade off between enormous lot sizes vs more walkable towns, but the schools in all the towns I listed are generally among the most desirable in the region...

I suppose if you want some rural-ish feel there are even spots around Naperville, Lisle, Wheaton and Glen Ellyn that would work, as well as parts of Orland / Palos...
Thanks for the ideas. We'll be sure to look into them. I do really love some of the North shore towns from the pictures I've seen. As a south sider, I never made it up to the northern or western burbs much as a kid/teen, so this is all new territory for me.

Quote:
What sort of work schedule / location do you have???
My husband is going to work both from home and from his downtown office because his job doesn't require him to be in the loop all the time. I'm going to have much weirder hours and times, so it's hard to predict right now.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,086,676 times
If you liked Arlington Heights or Mt. Prospects location, downtown and schools, I suggest you consider Prospect Heights. The lots are larger and the schools are very good. You also are close to Metra, downtown Arlington & Mt. Prospect and the new Randhurst which is being rebuilt in a similar style to the Streets of Woodfield.
Now if you want to have horses, Barrington is probably the closest area.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,554,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Air View Post
It was more that we loved the downtowns and availability to have horses and such. I'm still open to them, but my husband is hesitant about the distance.
Barrington has a Metra station, but it's still a commute..

Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 AM

2,883 posts, read 3,858,927 times
If horses are an important part of your life, I would agree with Barrington. I don't know anywhere closer that would have such a horsey lifestyle easily available. Wayne is great, but the commute wouldn't be.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,204,916 times
There are some horse properties near Lisle, Warrenville, Lemont, Homer Glen, Palos, Orland and of course Oak Brook. Prices are a bit of wildcard, as some are really kind of "rustic" to the point of having that "down on the farm" smell while others are HUGE parcels which all by itself takes the land cost out of the price range that 'normal' people could afford. There are facilities for riding / boarding horse near several suburbs...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 PM

215 posts, read 450,637 times
Metra has a couple of express trains that take 45 minutes to/from Barrington.

Chet tells everyone to live in Western Springs, so take that with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs