U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM

746 posts, read 1,960,253 times

Advertisements

we're looking at soccer and baseball camps - but I'm open to weekly camps, overnight camps, I just want my kids to be happy wherever we go - and camp is certainly a way for them to get to know some new friends. I've got the oldest signed up for little league - he'll miss a couple practices, but happy as a clam we got him in under the wire.

Any insight? When are most registration windows open? Any super positive or not so great experiences you would like to share about local camps?

(we'll be living in Oswego)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 AM

7,526 posts, read 6,973,591 times
You may want to try Soccer Made in America or AYSO summer camps. We've done both and liked them equally. Also check out your local high school and recreations centers. Many high schools offer various sports camps for younger kids during the summer. Sorry, no info on baseball camps though. That was never our sport of choice. Registration should be coming up soon.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 AM

I don't have a local high school yet - we're moving at the end of this month, from NC.

What about general purpose camps - you know, campfire, assembly, raising the flag in the morning, taking it down at night, learning to canoe, fish, hike, make silly things with popsicle sticks, have your first crush? This is probably the first year he'll be eligible for "sleep away" camp - so we're sort of looking for that kind of thing, too. I think we're covered on the sports camp (I don't want to go broke, we have 3 kids!)

I would also love to know if any of you have sent younger kids to camps? In Raleigh, parks & rec did a marvelous job of doing pre-k camps - generally 5 days, not overnight - with topics ranging from academics to sports to nature. I think we'll do a sleep away for the 8 yo and hopefully some sort of camp for the 4 yo. the 2 yo will be camping in the back yard with Barbies.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM

48 posts, read 120,172 times
Oswego family YMCA
Heritage YMCA - Oswego (http://www.heritageymca.org/oswego.php - broken link)

oswegoland park district (Oswego park district)
Oswegoland Park District - Oswego, Illinois

These are good resources to check out

Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 AM

thanks - have checked out the oswegoland park district already (that's how I found the little league & soccer camps!) Thanks for the Y link- very helpful.

Do camps like the one I nostalgically described above exist in IL?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 AM

7,526 posts, read 6,973,591 times
Most kids in Illinois who do sleep away camps go to YMCA camps in Wisconsin, Michigan, or Indiana. Lots of kids do them, but we don't tend to stay in-state. Off the top of my head there are Camp Tecumseh, Camp Duncan, Camp MacLean, Camp Crosley, Camp Eberhart just to name a few. They all have your typical camp stuff, hiking, crafts, swimming, fishing, campfires, etc.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM

619 posts, read 798,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
thanks - have checked out the oswegoland park district already (that's how I found the little league & soccer camps!) Thanks for the Y link- very helpful.

Do camps like the one I nostalgically described above exist in IL?

The camp I went to when I was young was Camp Shaw Wa Na See in Kankakee. It is an overnight camp for one week and is exactly as you describe.....campfires, organzied games, hiking, cabins, mess hall, etc. It is run by the 4H organization but you do not have to belong to 4H. I went for several years and next year i will be sending my daughter. It is a pretty short drive (about an hour) and is across from Kankakee State park. Here is the website if you are interested: Camp Shaw

Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM

THANK YOU! That's what I'm talkin' about! Excellent. Now I wish there website was a little more informative. I can tell how old the couselors in training are supposed to be but can't quite get my hands on the age of campers. (my son will be 8 in May - I assume he's the right age - it looks like it's all age-appropriate stuff!) THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM

619 posts, read 798,204 times
You are very welcome. I agree about the website...I found that calling and talking with someone was the best way to get information. My daughter is also 8 but we are waiting until next year because she probably isn't ready for a week away from home. INterestingly enough, they have a family camp that we considered but we haven't found the time to go there yet.

When I went to that camp the minimum age was 9 but I think that it might lower now. I have such good memories and I have visited in the last couple of years and it all looks the same. There is SO much to do...when I was there there were beads to collect for every activity, each a different color. There was a nature cabin, arts and crafts cabin, the pool, hiking, climbing, canoeing/stone walking in the river, dances, night walks, and of course, capture the flag.

Regardless, I hope that you find a camp that your kids love too. They are such great memories to have!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 AM

24 posts, read 63,869 times
Please check out YMCA Camp Duncan. My Daughter spent two weeks there last year and loved it. She's already signed up for this summer.

They have a website you can find by googling the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs