U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:14 PM

650 posts, read 606,833 times

Advertisements

i believe the white sprayed basement on 220 e 58th pl might be a red flag - I believe that is a mold/flood remediation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:19 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,615,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trodgers View Post
Thank you for all of the in put. Where we move will highly reflect the school district. I been looking at Waubonise HS which received good reviews, Oswego HS, I haven't looked at reviews for West Aurora HS or S Elgin HS. Does anyone know about the HS? We are looking for 4 bedrooms, decent size yard we have a dog, would like 3,000 square feet or more, would like 5 year old house or new build might be willing to pay more.
Ok, scratch everything said to this point. I can't recommend taking that route. I would never extend my budget to buy new construction in an underdeveloped area. I would however extend my budget, within reason, to buy an updated home in an established neighborhood.

Where is work?

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 05-05-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM

504 posts, read 577,473 times
Quote:
Thank you for all of the in put. Where we move will highly reflect the school district. I been looking at Waubonise HS which received good reviews, Oswego HS, I haven't looked at reviews for West Aurora HS or S Elgin HS. Does anyone know about the HS? We are looking for 4 bedrooms, decent size yard we have a dog, would like 3,000 square feet or more, would like 5 year old house or new build might be willing to pay more.
If you're looking in those areas, you might as well be looking at Batavia/Geneva.

Oswego is alright, but Oswego's "new" construction isn't really that high of a quality. That is a community on the downturn. South Elgin is alright, nothing special. Probably the best of U-46, but even there is kind of a hike to I-90 or I-88. Don't even bother with West Aurora unless you were planning on sending your kids to private school. The older Kane County core of Aurora is not very desirable.

If you're looking in the Fox Valley area, concentrate on D204, D203 (bit of a stretch), Batavia or Geneva. If you want the primo expressway access, Batavia or D204.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:34 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,183,914 times
Default FIRST you need to get your info sources lined up!

Quote:
I give ZERO credibility to any of the "review sites"-- by allowing any shmoe to saw how "wonderful" or "awful" a school is it makes all comments suspect.

Use the rankings of US News & World Report for High Schools. If you want info about elementary schools use the Illinois Interactive Report Card.

I am familiar with Oswego HS -- for folks driven primarily by school quality it is NOT the most desirable. Even other schools nearby (like Nequa Valley) are far more desirable. There are lots of underwater home owners out there so your money goes farther but you are basically looking for something VERY different if that is really what you are looking at...

Illinois has a rather sharp fall off in housing prices based on school quality. I can post links to nearly identical homes across school boundaries that are literally SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars apart in value!

If your budget is $350K and you want a nearly new home of substantial size you will not find it a school district that is well regarded for its reputation of sending large percentage of graduates to highly rated colleges. If you want a school district that is well regarded you will not be able to find a home such as you've described for the amount you wish to spend.

Last edited by chet everett; 05-05-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 01:57 PM

You can use IIRC for high schools as well.

Also, I would say my assessments of the high schools you just mentioned were pretty accurate.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:25 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,914,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I was just reviewing some of these as potential "summer projects" for a pal that I used for fixing my rental homes -- now he thinks he and his adult daughter might be a good "fix & flip" or father & daughter landlord team and they are focused on Hinsdale Central (which is a much larger than just D181!) --

Somebody already lost their shirt on this place, their loss could be your gain -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Westmont/22.../home/14158344

Here is a nice example of an "after", would rent or sell much better if furnished /staged, CRAZY low taxes! -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Clarendon-H.../home/17129626

Nice and clean but a bit bland -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Westmont/11.../home/14176799

Classic "value in the land" (heart of Hinsdale!) but completely habitable -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/72.../home/14062045

Great location (inside D181!) and mostly well cared for, just dated as the day is long -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Burr-Ridge/.../home/18019582
None of these sound like what the OP is looking for, though a couple are intriguing as investment properties...

Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,183,914 times
Default Yes, that is true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
You can use IIRC for high schools as well.

Also, I would say my assessments of the high schools you just mentioned were pretty accurate.
The value of the US News & World Report Rankings is that they still have "tiers" so that schools in the top ranks are pretty clearly doing a better job of preparing kids to succeed in the kinds of colleges that folks consider competitive / selective. The methodology of US News relies heavily on the number of kids successfully completing AP tests which are essentially college level work. That work is NOT primarily as measure of "aptitude" but accurately reflects the influence of what is actually taught to kids.

The problem with using Illinois Interactive Report Card for selecting high schools is that the primary test used for high schools is a variant of the ACT, which is not the best measure of actual in school learning -- Test Descriptions | ACT Student

The variability noted in different part of the ACT are especially problematic -- https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...nappropriately

Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The value of the US News & World Report Rankings is that they still have "tiers" so that schools in the top ranks are pretty clearly doing a better job of preparing kids to succeed in the kinds of colleges that folks consider competitive / selective. The methodology of US News relies heavily on the number of kids successfully completing AP tests which are essentially college level work. That work is NOT primarily as measure of "aptitude" but accurately reflects the influence of what is actually taught to kids.
I still think that even this measure is of limited usefulness in terms of predicting student outcomes, and it tends to over-rate schools that have homogenously well-off student populations with college educated parents. So an excellent school like Lyons Township High School, which takes kids from several different elementary districts and backgrounds, is under-rated compared to a school like Hinsdale Central, which is much more homogenous in terms of family income and background

To elaborate on this, lets say you have kids from Western Springs who have been in excellent elementary schools from K-8 mixed in with kids from Hodgkins, who have not received the same level of elementary-level preparedness. The Western Springs kids more likely take advantage of the full-range of AP courses available at LTHS and may do quite well on average. The kids from Hodgkins may have lower levels of AP participation, though a few will still shine given the excellent and challenging course offerings at LTHS. Even so, fewer Hodgkins kids will take and pass AP tests in terms of averages and percentages, and this would bring down the US News Rankings.

Now tell me, if you live in Western Springs and have your kids in the public school system, which outcome will best predict the future high school perforance of your child? Are the children from Hodgkins and Western Springs still truly given equal opportunities to succeed from Kindergarten through 12th Grade, even though they roam the same high school hallways?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 PM

^ Awesome. I feel like this argument could be made for a plethora of school districts (i.e. Batavia, Indian Prairie (204), STC East, etc.). And it seems to take the whole picture into account, unlike US News.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 PM

I do like the "challenge index" that they incorporate at U.S. News. It seems to me that schools with a high "challenge index" have a critical mass of smart kids and great curriculum choices, along with highly-qualified teachers. But most of their other rating methodology seems demographics-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or