U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,609,706 times

Advertisements

New list, updated with AP participant passing rate and % low income enrollment. Sorted by AP participant passing rate.

A lot of the variation in PSAE and AP scores can be chalked up to low income enrollment skewing the data. If you're a non-low income family, your child will largely have the same opportunity for success at any of the schools below. Clearly all these schools are preparing their AP students for success in college and beyond.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 05-06-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:47 PM

28,384 posts, read 68,011,584 times
Default Can you add data for the various categories of students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
New list, updated with AP participant passing rate and % low income enrollment. Sorted by AP participant passing rate.

A lot of the variation in PSAE and AP scores can be chalked up to low income enrollment skewing the data. If you're a non-low income family, your child will largely have the same opportunity for success at any of the schools below. Clearly all these schools are preparing their AP students for success in college and beyond.
Not sure what your data source is but if you could share it that would be helpful.

Similarly, I do believe that AP participation rates are important in both the US News methodology as well that of the Washington Post -- ideally it would be great to see a very high percentage of students take at least one AP test and get at least a 3 (which is considered minimal passing score.

When folks ask for "best high school" it would be helpful if they specified some additional context, like "academically well regarded" but I have to say in my experience it is rare to have a school that is not just academically superior but also offers nice range of extracurriculars and other positives...

Old 05-06-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not sure what your data source is but if you could share it that would be helpful.

Similarly, I do believe that AP participation rates are important in both the US News methodology as well that of the Washington Post -- ideally it would be great to see a very high percentage of students take at least one AP test and get at least a 3 (which is considered minimal passing score.

When folks ask for "best high school" it would be helpful if they specified some additional context, like "academically well regarded" but I have to say in my experience it is rare to have a school that is not just academically superior but also offers nice range of extracurriculars and other positives...
The most effective way to compare how well AP students are prepared for college is to look at how many of them are actually passing exams. In other words, we want the percentage of exam takers who passed at least one test. That's what the image above shows.

Passing not taking. I'm not concerned with the percentage of total students taking exams for three reasons:

- Because the figures can be easily skewed by low income students, who are less likely to end up in AP courses
- Because the figures can be easily skewed by administrators sitting ill-prepared kids for exams
- Because taking does not equate to passing

Nearly all of the schools listed have wide-ranging AP offerings. That's not the issue. The only question I have as a parent is, of the students taking AP exams, what percentage were well prepared by the school and actually passed?

I got the figures from US News: Hinsdale Central High School in HINSDALE, IL | Test Scores | US News (See: Participant Passing Rate)

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 05-06-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,872,136 times
I would also like to see data broken up for larger schools that take kids from very different elementary districts. OPRF doesn't count, since it only takes kids from two districts--both of which are somewhat good (Oak Park and River Forest Elementary districts). Education occurs Kindergarten through 12th Grade, and the foundation you get from your K-8 district is vitally important. Some might say it's more important than the high school you attend.

For instance, what is the average ACT score and AP pass rate for Lyons Township High School students who came up through different elementary school systems? I'm guessing the scores are very different for kids who came up through Western Springs or La Grange Schools compared to those who came up through Hodgkins or Countryside schools.

Or for Glenbard West, how do those who came up through Glen Ellyn D41 schools compare to those who had K-8 in Glendale Heights Schools? We know intuitively that there is a large difference, but the Illinois School Report Card site doesn't break up data this way.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:18 PM

Two AP students, one at Wheaton North and one at Hinsdale Central. What do we know about them?

Based on US News data:

The Hinsdale Central AP student will take 4.6 exams and has a 93% chance of passing at least one. (source: http://www.usnews.com/education/best...nt_performance)
The Wheaton North AP student will take 4.2 exams and has a 89% change of passing at least one. (source: http://www.usnews.com/education/best...nt_performance)

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 05-06-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 02:20 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,872,136 times
Quote:
Two AP students, one at Wheaton North and one at Hinsdale Central. What do we know about them?

Based on US News data:

The Hinsdale Central student will take 4.6 exams and has a 93% chance of passing at least one.
The Wheaton North student will take 4.2 exams and has a 89% change of passing at least one.
AND the Hinsdale Central student's parents will have paid twice as much for their house for that small incremental improvement, which may or may not have ANY effect on their own offspring's chances for success.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 PM

848 posts, read 641,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
AND the Hinsdale Central student's parents will have paid twice as much for their house for that small incremental improvement, which may or may not have ANY effect on their own offspring's chances for success.
I think this has been said before but Hinsdale buyers are not just paying for the schools. It certainly was one of the factors in our decision but an even bigger factor for us, and I'm certain many others, was location and Metra access (3 stations). I also like being surrounded by people that take care of their property (or hire someone to take care of their property ).

Old 05-06-2015, 02:34 PM

3,680 posts, read 6,841,087 times
Quote:
This is an outstanding value in a walk-to-everything (including high school) location in a beautiful north Glen Ellyn neighborhood:

593 Prairie Avenue GLEN ELLYN, IL 60137 | Redfin
It's nice indeed. So nice, in fact, that the house next door decided to come on over and give it a big hug! Oh, wait, are the brown house and tan house suppose to be one single house??

Old 05-06-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's a great point. Although I'm more concerned about the folks who threw down enough money to get into either Wheaton or Hinsdale, but did so in a town like Westmont, where there is a considerable drop-off in performance among AP students...

Based on US News data:

The Westmont AP student will take just 2.4 exams and only has a 67% chance of passing at least one.

207 N. Grant Street WESTMONT, IL 60559 | Redfin

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 05-06-2015 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 02:47 PM

28,384 posts, read 68,011,584 times
Default You know that ain't true...

Quote:
There are LOTS of homes in the nice parts of Western Springs or LaGrange that are every bit as costly on either a sq ft basis or total purchase price as any in similarly desirable parts of Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Clarendon Hills, or Burr Ridge. Similarly the bargain hunters that are willing to accept a house that needs some TLC in Hinsdale are likely to end up with a home that is no more costly than something a little more spiffy than in a less desirable part of Countryside or LaGrange Highlands...

All about what is one's real priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or