U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2012, 12:05 PM

3,967 posts, read 3,850,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The North Shore communities, by and large, are: uber-conservative, Christian, large majority white, very small, ultra wealthy enclaves that form some of the wealthiest suburbs in America. You are more likely to find a non-reciprocal country club than a 24-coffee shop.

While you are poking around do take a look at Oak Park. It shares its western border with Chicago, and feels more like Chicago than any other suburb as it has many of the same Chicago amenities. There is crime in every town even if it is carefully hidden. But, when crime is out of control families move. It is not the case with Oak Park. The fund managers and the monied are not fleeing. http://www.city-data.com/forum/24821605-post55.html
This is an opinion and and it shouldn't be stated like a fact. Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park are almost indisguishable from the city neighborhood near Midway. People are always talking about how suburbs like Harvey and Dolton are "extensions of the south side" (and they don't mean that in the positive way you are talking about Oak Park). And Evanston on the north shore is a very "urban" suburb with mid rise apartment buildings and 24 hour coffee shops.. This is to say nothing about how "urban" Cicero and Berwyn feels.. Right by Oak Park. But then again.. What makes a subub "like the city" anyway? Different people see that differently..

Last edited by urza216; 06-30-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:36 AM

708 posts, read 1,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Upthread someone said I seem to seek the elusive combo of quiet upscale living and city action and nightlife. They have a point since I come from a mid-sized city big enough to have solid amenities (Three pro sports teams, numerous nightlife zones, nationally-ranked steakhouse, museum with the most Dali art, etc...) but small enough to be quiet and have lots of greenspace.
I'll suggest something from another point of view, just to give you another option.

I lived in Oak Lawn for about half of my twenties. Oak Lawn, Orland Park, and the southwest suburbs have a number of bars and nightspots. Look up 115 Bourbon Street and also look up some of the other night spots in Orland Park, Tinley Park, or the Irish pubs on Western Avenue in Chicago between 95th and 111th Street.

Just about every Southwest Suburb has a bowling alley, pool hall, 24-hour Denny's, a 24-hour Greek restaurant, a White Castle, and a Steak-and-Shake, as well as a 24-hour Jewel. You will find like-minded souls at the 24-hour food places. There's a surprising number of 20-somethings who have stayed in the SW burbs, returned home after college or for summer breaks, or just consider the area home.

It is not a "strict family values" WASP-ish place. South siders can be boorish, loud, outspoken, and its not uncommon for the 20-somethings to be sharing some beer or shots of vodka on a summer night with the extended family. Nice, friendly, down-to-earth people, all Sox fans. Lots of families have decks and pools.

I had friends who were from Polish ancestry, Greek, Italian, and just plain American (white and black.) Made friends with all the neighbors. Drove into the city whenever I wanted. It was an interesting place to spend a few years.

The south siders I know are union people who vote democrat, mostly.

You'll also find the quiet you're looking for. Upscale shopping is available in Orland Park. For art, you'll have to go to the city.

From Oak Lawn you are about a 45 minute drive to the Lincoln Park city life (Cicero to I-55 to I-94 or LSD.) Easiest beach to get to would be 31st Street (Cicero to I-55 to LSD to 31st) or add fifteen minutes to half-an hour to go further north where the people are.

Another thought if you really love beaches is Northwest Indiana, but Porter County is a very boring and more WASP-ish uptight place. Lake County has Miller Beach which is eclectic and diverse, but not thriving like it could be.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 867,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The North Shore communities, by and large, are: uber-conservative, Christian, large majority white, very small, ultra wealthy enclaves that form some of the wealthiest suburbs in America. http://www.city-data.com/forum/24821605-post55.html
That might have been true in 1952 but this is 2012.

Conservatism is not only about politics, but the OP might be better informed if he knew that Barack Obama, that uber-conservative paragon of whiteness, carried Wilmette and Highland Park, which are the two largest population centers on the North Shore outside of Evanston (which went about 80% for Obama).

Wilmette, where I live, has large Asian and Jewish populations. Highland Park is close to majority Jewish.

As far as ultra wealthy, some of them do live here, but according to the Trulia real estate site, the median home listing price in Wilmette in the second quarter of 2012 was $717,079, and the median sales prices was much lower (under $500,000). That's not chicken feed, but it doesn't match up with ultra wealthy either.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 AM

20,749 posts, read 32,523,550 times
I beleive Linicx has not lived the Chicago region for many decades. Times change. Politically, the support our current president received from the North Shore both for his current post as well as prior role as Senator was anything but "über conservative". Larry's comments about housing prices are spot on too -- far more homes change hands that are actually relatively modest in size by current standards. The value is driven by demand for the superior schools and quality of life issues -- a fairly pleasant commute to either the employment centers in the Loop or those in Lake Co / NW suburbs where the majority of North Shore residents work at pretty mundane jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs