Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,973,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Suburban apartments are significantly cheaper than "hip" neighorhoods in the city. And it's nice to actually have expendiple income. What's the point of urban entertainment and resturants if you can barely afford groceries and rent? I'd suggest southewst suburban Oak Forest or Tinley Park. Metra is local if you want to catch the train to the city. Weekend passes are six bucks these days.

That said, there are pleanty of North Side neighorhoods in areas like Lakeview where you can be surrounded by young professionals such as yourself. Young professionals aren't usually big on commiting crimes. They're often big on being afraid of crime but not commiting crime.

My two cents. :-)
The OP is commuting to Lisle, the girlfriend to Palatine! South suburbs aren't gonna work for that. Schaumburg is boring and generic, but not every 20 something ends up living in the city. I did at that age, but I know tons of 20 somethings who haven't. Locationally Schaumburg probably works best if you want reasonably equal commutes. Palatine and Arlington Hts have nice downtowns. I even knew a cool young couple who enjoyed Wheaton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,040,296 times
Whoops, didn't catch where the OP or his girlfriend were working..

Of course there are twenty somethings like myself in the suburbs.. I have a few old friends who moved to the city and we drifted apart.

Last edited by urza216; 05-05-2011 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: The real question is: What reason do I have to tell you why I made an edit?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
One more thing: In spite of my recomendation, I'm not so sure you're any less likely to have your apartment broken into in Tinley Park, IL than Lakeview, Chicago. Crime is very real in the suburbs and I seriously hope you don't believe otherwise. Welcome to the 3rd largest metro area in the country my friend. ;-)
I realize that, I've just had some bad experiences. Last summer I lived in on the west side of indy and my car got broken into the 3rd night i was there. It sucked, just want to avoid any situation like that if at all possible.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 8,332 times
Would anyone call naperville..... naperthrill? or is it boring too?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,973,602 times
I think Naperville and Schaumburg have the biggest nightlifes in the suburbs. The nice thing about Naperville is it has a real downtown. It would be a hellish commute for the gf though.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
Naperville does have a nice downtown. It's still relatively boring though. Avoid Schaumburg at almost any cost.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:13 PM

363 posts, read 437,707 times
This may be going out on a limb, but what about living in Lisle itself, or Wheaton? When I was a student in Joliet, we took a trip to the Morton Arboretum in Lisle and nearby Cantigny Gardens in Wheaton and I was really impressed by the area, it had lots of woods and people actually smiled at you in the McDonalds. Seemed like a safe area, but I have no actual experience.

I have been burgled before, it sucks! Until it happens to you, you don't realize how violated it makes you feel, and how cautious you are afterward.

No, it can't get much more boring than Lafayette, Indiana, lol. But "excitement" may be over-rated!!

Last edited by PrairieGirl; 05-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: To add a line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs