Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Problem w/Gary over the years has always been near bankrupt airlines starting service to destination city smaller airports and then going under. There aren't any other amenities around to warrant the big boys as it sits in the middle of protected lands. The service itself for each airline that was there was outstanding. Quick in and out, cheap parking, easy train and bus access and people used it. Plus low takeoff/landing fees compared to midway and O'Hare.

The deal with Daley was never to actually bring passenger service. It was to hold off peotone mega airport. Let one of the mains start regular service out of Gary to your daily destinations and it would pull all of nwi and the south suburbs esp if it meant not going to O'Hare.
One airline that did fly out of Gary for a little while was Hooters Air, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 04:12 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Absolutely agree...just need a couple flights a day to a hub like Detroit. The emphasis from previous airlines was myopic, focusing on taking region residents to Florida/Las Vegas. What really will get Gary Airport thumping is selling it as a stress free easy way to visit Chicago. The train service at Gary is a hell of a lot nicer than the CTA and has stops at Museum of Science and Industry/UC, McCormick Place, Museum Campus and finishing right smack under the bean. In fact, the combo of the Gary Airport and the South Shore line could really have a positive effect on Chicago's tourist appeal.
Wow, it sounds like it's even easier to get to the city and see its tourist attractions from Indiana and visiting it than it is if you live in the western burbs...

Old 08-13-2015, 05:14 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Wow, it sounds like it's even easier to get to the city and see its tourist attractions from Indiana and visiting it than it is if you live in the western burbs...
Take this with a grain of salt though. Gary is still a highly undesirable area although the Gary Airport stop might be "ok" in terms of safety. I don't know for sure since I do not live in that area or frequent the area. Also, the South Shore Line is not as frequent or reliable a rail line as the METRA lines going to the Chicago suburbs in Illinois.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Take this with a grain of salt though. Gary is still a highly undesirable area although the Gary Airport stop might be "ok" in terms of safety. I don't know for sure since I do not live in that area or frequent the area. Also, the South Shore Line is not as frequent or reliable a rail line as the METRA lines going to the Chicago suburbs in Illinois.
The Gary airport is literally in the middle of nowhere. And the city of Gary is on the other side of a busy interstate highway. I'd be more concerned about a Wrong Turn horror movie monster near the Gary airport than gangbangers.

On a related note, there's tons of space for the Gary airport to be expanded.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:16 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
Is this a new rail line being built, or an already established rail track? I always thought the SS extension would run along the rail tracks adjacent to Sheffield Ave until you said a station would be at Ridge. Also, Lynwood is starting their second phase extension of Joe Orr Rd on the 17th.
It will run along the track that cross sheffield and go north where it crosses 45th by Family Christian Center. There had been additional track along the Monon Corridor that used to go all the way into Hammond, but the line had been long abandoned and the rail was replaced with a trail. With this project, the trail would once again go back to rail; however, there had always only been one track and the project would include building a second track as well as possible overhead wires (although I wish they would use a hybrid diesel/electric service so that additional overhead wiring did not have to be used).

Old 10-07-2015, 12:29 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post

Well I love living in Gary. And in my area of Gary there are lots of people who have moved to here in the last few years from allover the place who agree.

People really don't realize just how big Gary is....my area of the city is literally as far from the rough areas of Gary as Lincoln Park is to the West Side.

It's just a matter of time before Gary is recognized as a sort of Beachside Detroit meets Chicago..it's friggin awesome.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
The South Shore now has funding to build a branch line to Dyer. The new line run parallel to the Southeast service, within ten miles. Patronage of the two would largely overlap. This means that construction of the Southeast service is highly unlikely.

Old 11-03-2020, 05:28 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
I know somebody that lives in Gary who claims that there are 'pioneers' moving to Gary. I don't go there, but it seems hard to believe. Why would anyone who can afford to live in a more vibrant and healthy area move there (Miller Beach, aside)? Gary is far out and Chicagoland has plenty of areas that are closer that are affordable as well.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:23 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Those pioneers are dealing in speculation like many have done in areas of Chicago. Some successful, some not.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:56 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I know somebody that lives in Gary who claims that there are 'pioneers' moving to Gary. I don't go there, but it seems hard to believe. Why would anyone who can afford to live in a more vibrant and healthy area move there (Miller Beach, aside)? Gary is far out and Chicagoland has plenty of areas that are closer that are affordable as well.
Highly speculative, buying at the bottom. But the "West Lake Corridor" would have a minimal effect on Gary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs