Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:56 PM

363 posts, read 435,826 times

Advertisements

If my understanding is correct, the new Metra SouthEast Line proposed to run from Crete in the southern suburbs to LaSalle Street Station in Chicago is proceeding as planned. Do you think this train will revitalize the areas it passes through? ie create new business opportunities, increase (or decrease?) property values for neighboring homes, provide revenue streams for towns, etc. ?

Not sure when construction will proceed on the train stations and parking lots, but the tracks already exist. Anyone with reliable, specific timeline information is encouraged to respond. Will it be in the next 4 years or so? Based on the process so far, that is my guess. I wonder if it will it be sooner?

Will you ride this train? Will you commute to Chicago or ride it south to visit the racetrack? If you will commute, where will you be coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 PM

829 posts, read 2,076,350 times
I would be shocked to see this project actually move forward, before the peotone airport goes forward. The new service would mostly benefit expanding rural suburbs in far south will county such as crete, monee, beecher, peotone, and farming communities far out that way. And towns in northwest indiana by locating a couple of stations further east. Not so much the already eestablished south suburbs. Because, majority of the south suburbs already have convenient access to the metra electric line that runs all of the way south to university park in will county. The new line will just give some more suburbs that it passes through there own metra stations, but there are already metra electric stations close to all of these suburbs. Why not just improve service and upgrade the nearby stations for the metra electric line?

Last edited by allen2323; 05-07-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 03:44 PM

Here is a recent article discussing this issue and the recent progress of the peotone airport which appears to be gaining momentum. South suburbs powering forward with airport project . So there may end up being another south suburban rail line built afterall. Not at all a bad thing. As long as it doesn't negatively affect service frequency on the metra electric. Established, further east southern burbs such as south holland, glenwood, and lansing should really benefit.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-07-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,791,353 times
It will have minimal benefit for anyone. While it would augment service in the southern suburbs, most are already a short drive from existing Metra stations. What we really need is the STAR line allowing efficient suburb-suburb rail travel. However, politics likely favors this line.

Last edited by pvande55; 05-07-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 05-07-2011, 04:00 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,066,481 times
Pretty familiar with the south suburbs and I do not see how this line would eventually not play out

Seems if you keep your attention focused on the next 10 years or so this area just might start to show areas of growth.

The Peotone airport - who knows where that thing is going to ever go probably nowhre. Look at the Gary airport that never gets any play
Problem there is no one wants to go into Gary.

The advantage the se line has is the tracks or remnants of an old line are existing.

I think your looking at a time table of 7 years or so- it will happen

Old 05-07-2011, 04:03 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,066,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It will have minimal benefit for anyone. While it would augment service in the southern suburbs, most are already a short drive from existing Metra stations. What we really need is the STAR line allowing efficient suburb-suburb rail travel. However, politics likely favors this line.
Star line would be awesome
i think the se line would serve the star line as it would intersect
this would be ideal suburb to suburb and would be so useful
it really would be great if the chicago area could put this together
many would benefit
reduced congestion
easy access to more shopping
easy access to medical facilities
easy access to jobs
conserve energy

Old 05-07-2011, 06:32 PM

While most of the south suburbs have good metra electric access. After thinking about it, I can definitely see the wisdom in a second south suburban metra line. With gas approaching $5 a gallon and high gas prices here to stay. The south suburbs without excellent metra train access are becoming a harder sell. High property taxes should come with all of the government services such as convenient public transit. With so many middle income south suburbs now attracting an entirely new demographic of minority middle income homeowners who are coming directly from chicago, it's important for the south suburbs to have good public transit to the city. In this tough economic environment, attracting middle class minority homeowners whose incomes are high enough to truly afford the high property taxes and appreciate these southern suburbs enough to pay the high property taxes is a hard sell. They are going to really have to roll out the red carpet to do so.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:43 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,838,830 times
Allen,

Your post seems to indicate that many south suburbs will be facing a number of challenges apart from whether or not they receive supplemental Metra service.

Do you still think the south suburbs are getting better or even maintaining?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 PM

363 posts, read 435,826 times
Due to stagnant/declining economic conditions, I know for a fact that where I live, in south suburban Thornton, homeowners are already paying higher taxes without any appreciable increase in government services.

I don't think more minority homeowners is anything "new" to this or any other south suburban area, unless you're talking glacial ages. The fact is there are minorities everywhere, so get over it.

I think there is an interesting dilemma couched in your reply allen. And that is the crux of the biscuit. Will there be enough amenities/value in the outlying suburbs, including the far south suburbs, to attract people from the city (not just minorities, but everyone) to live far from where they work, presumably in Chicago? Or is the trend to shrink the outlying 'burbs going to affect development in the near future, be it this rail line or another rail line, or an airport, etc.?

Old 05-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Allen,

Your post seems to indicate that many south suburbs will be facing a number of challenges apart from whether or not they receive supplemental Metra service.

Do you still think the south suburbs are getting better or even maintaining?
In my opinion, yes. People like me happen to prefer the south suburbs because it's suburban with suburban amenities, without being too suburban. A mixture of races and classes. The south suburbs will continue to remain economically viable as long as it continues to attract a dominant share of the middle income minority homeowners who are coming directly from chicago. And will remain the number one option for those homeowners as long as the south suburban towns continue to provide a safe environment. Also just as important, continues to provide the same level of services and amenities for the new demographic of residents moving to the south suburbs as were available to the previous demographic of residents. These are the kind of new residents who appreciate the south suburbs enough to pay the high property taxes which maintain them and fully appreciate living in this kind of area. It's safe, I believe there is exceptional value to be found in the south suburbs, some very unique neighborhoods. And most importantly, relatively low crime. As long as it stays this way the south suburbs will be fine, maintain, and continue to improve. Continued growth in new middle class residents, continued new retail growth, a fair share of public works projects, etc.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-07-2011 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs