Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 20,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The numbers are USELESS
Really. I can't know every neighborhood where I look for houses so I rely a lot on school ratings and crime index. How can you tell about a neighborhood if you are not living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The problem with the other site is any jamoke can say their school is gr8 when the data says it has kids that are moving in and out three times a years, has poor parental involvement and chronic performance issues. At least get accurate data from the site run by NIU --http://iirc.niu.edu/SearchResult.asp...ext=$EVANSTON$ http://iirc.niu.edu/SearchResult.aspx?type=CITY&searchText=$EVANSTON$

I used to own rental houses and the best indication I had that a place was going to attract good tenants was how close to good jobs the place was , what kind of features their were for tenants with kids to stick around for an extended period , and how well maintained the neighbor places were. You still gotta screen your tenants, but if they do drive by and the whole block is commercial or gone to seed they are not going to be the kind of peole that take much pride in where they live which is never a good thing...

Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM

109 posts, read 352,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlandlord1 View Post
yeah, the crime index of that area is very low (19/100), but why all the schools surrounding the area have rating 8/10 (according to greatschools.net), which is pretty good?

There is no neighborhood school in the 5th ward, a majority minority neighborhood where (I believe) this home is located. Kids in this area are bused to one of three surrounding elementary schools -- Willard, Orrington, or Kingsley – all highly rated schools, with Willard being listed as one of the best in the state. Busing is an effort to ensure that Evanston schools are racially balanced.

Before buying a home in the 5th ward, especially if schools are a factor for you, you should know that there has been ongoing talk about building a new school in the 5th Ward since it’s the only neighborhood with no community school. The newly-elected school board here has already mentioned looking at this proposal as a priority. There is, of course, opposition to the idea, so who knows when or if the new school will actually be built.

A few articles if you are interested in reading about it further:

New school: Return to segregation? | Evanston Now

West side residents divided over 5th Ward school | Evanston Now

And here's a read about the history of segregation/desegregation in Evanston, particularly with regard to the 5th Ward:

A History of Foster School and Desegregation in School District 65 - Evanston RoundTable - Evanston, IL

Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Those are great links! The one dated Aug 26 sounds eerily like MANY meetings I have attended over the years -- things devolve into "old grudges" pretty quick over DOZENS of things, from zoning gripes and tax rates to lack of recognition for what others may have experienced...

I know that there are lots of these meeting that "in print" seem far more dramatic than in person AND the polarized groups that make time for MOST meetings are not really all that reflective of the bulk of residents who are much more willing to accept a compromise...

Thanks for filling in the details about this situation!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Evanston re-adopted a neighborhood school attendance policy many years ago...

Attendance Area Maps

Residents were not happy with efforts to achieve racial uniformity: Evanston School Desegregation Plan Unraveling - Chicago Tribune
The attendance zones are not strictly enforced. Evanston/Skokie 65 students can choose to enroll in any school if there is space regardless if they are zoned to it or not. I've known families zoned to Lincoln & Nichols whose kids end up at Willard & Haven. Simply look at the demographics of certain schools like Orrington or Lincoln, the demographics clearly do not reflect the neighborhoods.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 AM

12 posts, read 54,194 times
I would not consider buying in this area especially if you have kids. We live in Evanston around 5 minutes away and I definitely don't feel safe when we drive past that area. I imagine it would also be tough if you ever wanted to sell the house down the road. Evanston elementary and middle schools are decent but the high school certainly has problems. Here's a website that provides info on Evanston schools and you can also compare it with other schools in IL.

Illinois Interactive Report Card
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs