Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 23,240 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks!

DH and I are looking to buy our first home. We are looking for a nice tree lined street in a safe burb of chicago, with good schools not far from the train. Somewhere that our lil sprog can trick or treat at halloween and be safe.

We've been looking around Plainfield, but since they have no metra station .. (My husband works dowtown) we are looking for other alternatives.. We currently live in Lisle, and we are looking for a change in scenery (likewise, no Naperville).

Our budget for homes is from 175-260k. Which means that places like Lincolnshire, Winnetka, and all those expensive northern burbs are out.

Can anyone help us out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 04:38 PM

44 posts, read 232,661 times
Hi,

We've lived in Antioch for about 12 year, and in that time it's grown from a sleepy vacation town into a very nice suburb with a thriving downtown and big box stores knocking down the door trying to get in. Downtown Chicago is a pleasant 90 minutes via Metra, and 294 is easily accessible. We're right between O'Hare and Mitchell airport in Milwaukee if you need to travel. The schools are great, and my boys (ages 10 and 8) can ride their bikes around the block without me. The township always has something going on for the kids, and the schools are very highly rated. Their pre-k and early intervention programs are, in my opinion, the best around (best free preschool evah!!). 260k will buy you a nice house here. It may not be brand new, but tree-lined streets are in abundance. I don't prefer the newer subdivions because, like you, I really like trees and homes with character.

I don't mean to gush about my town, but PM me if you'd like more information. Lake Villa and Lindenhurst are other good areas to check out.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:52 AM

404 posts, read 710,979 times
River Forest is a very nice neighbor to Oak Park.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
You should know that your price range is pretty restrictive for any safe decent 'burb with good schools; nonetheless, try Homewood/Flossmoor. One of the better "nice-neighborhoods-and-good-schools-for-the-money" areas, plus a Metra line runs right through both.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:47 AM

24 posts, read 141,710 times
Joliet's Cathedral Area is nice. I live here now and I LOVE my tree lined street. We're about 5 minutes from the train station and there's a public school in the neighborhood, although I'd reccomend sending your kids to one of the nearby private schools, which are also within walking distance. The neighborhood is safe, the people are friendly, and the prices are reasonable. This is a very old neighborhoood but people really take care of their homes and yards. It's a beautiful neighborhood. Check out CAPA Joliet Home Page
This is our neighborhood association website.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You should know that your price range is pretty restrictive for any safe decent 'burb with good schools; nonetheless, try Homewood/Flossmoor. One of the better "nice-neighborhoods-and-good-schools-for-the-money" areas, plus a Metra line runs right through both.

Ditto Space Moose.
Homewood might be right for you and its a lot closer than Lake County 'burbs.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 PM

r.

I don't mean to gush about my town, but PM me if you'd like more information. Lake Villa and Lindenhurst are other good areas to check out.[/quote]

Thanks so much for your advise!

I always like to hear that people love where they live. That usually speaks good about the area. Really, we are looking to not move for 10 plus years if we ca help it, so we really need to fall in love with a town!

Thank you again for your suggestions. We will be looking into it.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Unfortunately, Homewood and those areas near the south are out.
My girlfriend lives down there and traffic is always a heck of a nightmare. My husband has to drive into work for an event a few times a month, and all of our family and friends are Chicago and northwards.
I really wouldn't wish that traffic on anyone.. especially not with a toddler and a newborn in the car.

Plus my girlfriends parents are teachers, and they aren't really crazy about the system down there.

I really don't think 260k is all *that* restrictive . We aren't talking Highland Park , or Hinsdale . But there are places that we could well afford such as Plainfield, Barlette, Palatine, Streamwood.. that I know are pretty safe.. however they aren't near the train, or they aren't what we are looking for.

I was just hoping for perhaps a few people would have suggestions we had not yet considered. Some place we had never been that would be good. I think we have some solid leads here. Or maybe we just need to find what we value most in a place and stick to that.

Thank you much for the suggestion.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:44 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Not to gush about my town either but Berwyn is worth checking out given your criteria. The Metra runs right through it and it's about an 15-18 minute trip to Union Station depending on which stop you live by. And I-55 and I-290 are very close. It's right next to Oak Park and Riverside. There are houses in your price range, usually Chicago Bungalows.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,157 times
We live in Round Lake Heights. I know everyone balks at the sound of Round Lake but our development is pretty new within the last 5 years and it has a homey feel. My husband takes the metra everyday and it is only a 5minute drive. Our schools are Lake Villa which are pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs