U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 3,674,955 times
Reputation: 1174

Advertisements

I never said Chicago Ridge was 1/2 black, just 1/2 white. There's a noticeable number of black shoppers compared with even 5 or so years ago, but you're right about the predominant minority composition of CR shoppers. It's quite a change from a decade ago when it was overwhelmingly white, and a bit sleepy. Not only is it far more diverse, but far more crowded then ever before. There's also quite a bit of European diversity too, you hear a lot of Polish, etc. The typical, suburban WASP population is probably down to 25%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
1,070 posts, read 1,816,496 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Dechee: While we're talking about the area, what is your opinion of Evergreen (aka "Everblack") Plaza?
I'm not crazy about it, and if I can I avoid it. It's sometimes a pain to me...but now that I live further south () I go to Orland or River Oaks. Most of my shopping is done in Matteson for normal clothes shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Ford City
Ahhhhh! *runs out my house* Just kidding. It's too far away from me anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
When you stop and think, though, there is absolutely nothing happening there, nor have I heard of any violence or major problems since I've lived over this way.
Is there an applause icon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I been to the Evergreen Plaza and never had a problem there with anybody trying to mug me, but the mall is the most deserted mall I ever been in. It's weird that Evergreen Park residential area is like 60-70% white, but the Plaza is almost 100% black.

The Plaza is just...the Plaza...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 3,674,955 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
...
I been to the Evergreen Plaza and never had a problem there with anybody trying to mug me, but the mall is the most deserted mall I ever been in. It's weird that Evergreen Park residential area is like 60-70% white, but the Plaza is almost 100% black.
Up until about 5 years ago, EP was over 90% white. Despite that, it kind of makes sense. By the early 70's, white flight was largely complete on the south side, and so there was a huge black population in close proximity to the Plaza. With south side neighborhoods being decimated by white flight and rioting, residents had to go the suburbs for significant shopping, i.e. The Plaza. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing white people started thinking twice about shopping there in the '70's. At the end of the decade, a manager of the old movie theater (now gone) was murdered. If you want to drive away white people, a violent crime will combined with an increasing number of black shoppers will do it. A few years later Chicago Ridge Mall opened, plus there was still Ford City. The southwest side closest to Ford City was still all white then. By the mid 80's there was no reason for white people to set foot in the Plaza anymore. It is kind of funny to think that white people continued shopping at Ford City up until the late 90's or so. I think whites are even more scared of Ford City today then the Plaza, though not without reason. There have been gang shootings and other violent crime around Ford City. This is another mall I don't really visit because there is nothing to appeal to me, though I did stop in a year or so ago, and it seemed like there were actually more white people there, all recent immigrants judging from the fact that none of them spoke English. Aren't demographic trends fascinating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Florida
13 posts, read 12,504 times
Reputation: 14
I have read all of the above posts and it seems like it is a "black and white" themed conversation. What ever happened to people being people PERIOD! White, Black, Blue, Green, Beige, Magenta... does it really matter what color someone's skin is? I thought we were in 2011! Build a Bridge and Get over COLOR people!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 3,674,955 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelira View Post
I have read all of the above posts and it seems like it is a "black and white" themed conversation. What ever happened to people being people PERIOD! White, Black, Blue, Green, Beige, Magenta... does it really matter what color someone's skin is? I thought we were in 2011! Build a Bridge and Get over COLOR people!!!!!!
Just arrived in Chicago, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,270,111 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelira View Post
...I thought we were in 2011!...
Are we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 AM
 
335 posts, read 371,433 times
Reputation: 119
I was raised in Oak Lawn from 1961 to 1988. Moved to So Cal in 1988. Yes, Oak Lawn consisted of middle class white families. Typical suburbia with no crime. I visit the area every years since I've move away. I've found the homes are smaller in the area of 87th st to 95st and Ridgeland to Cicero. Of course, they looked bigger when you're a kid. There are young families still there but now mostly the parents of the kids when I was young. 95st traffic is too congested. I remember it being busy when we rode our bikes to the roller rink, prince castle ice cream, the rock (hang out) and the Oak Lawn lake. 95st traffic reminds me of LA traffic now. More non English speaking residents have moved in from the city. It's now an old city. I've not seen rundown houses. I'm planning to move back to IL. I priced some of those cute bungalows....holy ****. I can get a house built in the mid 90s in McHenry County for the price of those bungalows. I love the old feel to it, but I would not move back or raise a family. You can get more for your money else where. As a previous posted stated...Oak Lawn is a has been. It's an area I'd go back to visit my grandparents or relive child hood memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,615 times
Reputation: 10
I've lived in Oak Lawn for the past 15 years. Originally from Beverly, and before that South Shore.

I live south of 99th Street, in the 123/218 School District and my kids went to Kolmar and OLHMS. Two go to Richards now, one at OLHMS. One transferred from a Chicago Catholic high school because he thought he'd get a better education at Richards. Seriously. It wasn't because of bad grades or anything else. The great thing about it is he IS getting a better education.

Richards is a fine school, and its "rep" is very unjustified. We find the teachers and administrators caring and interested in student progress. My children love Richards and are doing well at the school.

Kolmar is an excellent school, highly rated, very strict. Very pleased with the school.

Oak Lawn is a good community, and it has its share of minor problems like any other suburb. However, most of these problems are due to the recession and local politics. It's not Tinley or Orland, and doesn't pretend to be, thank God.

Overall, I think Oak Lawn is in great shape for the next 15 years, easily. The area near 87th Street has older homes that need some work, but overall, as an inner-ring suburban community, Oak Lawn is great. Close to several Metra lines (SW in Oak Lawn and Rock in Beverly), close to Sox Park, and close to Chicago, which is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Location: On the road.
161 posts, read 201,364 times
Reputation: 77
Globe60, what do you mean when you say "It's not Tinley or Orland......thank God"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Chicago: Beverly, Woodlawn
1,967 posts, read 3,807,044 times
Reputation: 667
Definitely a has-been for what it was, but not clear that it doesn't have a solid future as something else. Has some nice upside and some downside as well -- not clear what will win out. For now though it is still pretty solid overall if dated in many of the main commercial strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
I was raised in Oak Lawn from 1961 to 1988. Moved to So Cal in 1988. Yes, Oak Lawn consisted of middle class white families. Typical suburbia with no crime. I visit the area every years since I've move away. I've found the homes are smaller in the area of 87th st to 95st and Ridgeland to Cicero. Of course, they looked bigger when you're a kid. There are young families still there but now mostly the parents of the kids when I was young. 95st traffic is too congested. I remember it being busy when we rode our bikes to the roller rink, prince castle ice cream, the rock (hang out) and the Oak Lawn lake. 95st traffic reminds me of LA traffic now. More non English speaking residents have moved in from the city. It's now an old city. I've not seen rundown houses. I'm planning to move back to IL. I priced some of those cute bungalows....holy ****. I can get a house built in the mid 90s in McHenry County for the price of those bungalows. I love the old feel to it, but I would not move back or raise a family. You can get more for your money else where. As a previous posted stated...Oak Lawn is a has been. It's an area I'd go back to visit my grandparents or relive child hood memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top