U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 5,710 times
Thanks for the responses guys. Ill keep all of those in mind and look into it. Right now we live overseas, but my wife could do something tourism related. I think she will eventually go back to school though, so I cant offer any specifics, just that infrastructure access would be important to me...roads, rail. etc., so I like a lot of those recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM

20,757 posts, read 32,556,126 times
NIU has a neat little extension campus in Hofffman Estates -- good for MBA and other business related programs.

The majority of full time University options would be closer in, though with many schools being big on satellite campus, telelearning, web based courses I would not that drive your decision, how ever theoretical it might be...

I would think about work / life balance and if you have plans for kids how complicated that could be.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 AM

So I guess that firms up my criteria...

single family house for 380000 to 400000
within a 45 minute drive from elgin
east of elgin for semi closeness to city
close to highways
close to metra
good for familys, middle class, not too snobby
tight knit neighorhoods so kids can have friends in neighborhood to play with
good schools for kid(s)
within a 30 minute drive to college or university for wife

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 PM

5,386 posts, read 5,724,605 times
I like Palatine and Hoffman Estates north of I-90. Barrington is also worth looking into, you might find something modest but within your budget.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:40 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,344,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I like Palatine and Hoffman Estates north of I-90. Barrington is also worth looking into, you might find something modest but within your budget.
Definitely.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 PM

67 posts, read 83,501 times
Try the Tri-City Area. Geneva, St. Charles and Batavia are all very nice places to live, and that's a way easier commute to Elgin than from Barrington.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,718,427 times
not really closer than Barrington, and he can use 90 for the commute from Barrington. He'd have to use Randall, 31 or 25 from the areas to the south. Also not great for employment for her unless she gets a job in Naperville, Lisle, etc.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,817 times
Check out Knightsbridge/Churchill in Schaumburg. I grew up there. It is very safe and fairly affordable. The neighbors are great, and people tend to stick around. By the way, the taxes in Kane county in general are ridiculous (St. Charles, Elgin is even worse). Schaumburg has woodfield mall, which is huge, and keeps the taxes in Schaumburg in check to some extent.

BTW- I am not sure what the familylike atmosphere is now, but it is a safe neighborhood, no busy streets, and everyone is friendly. You won't have to worry about your kids in the neighborhood, as there are no busy streets running through it. The houses there are good size, so there are bound to still be plenty of kids around.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 AM

Wow, I can't believe I am still getting helpful responses to my inquiry. Since there seem to be some people looking at the thread, I think I would pick one of the "between" suburbs like AH or Schaumburg etc instead of living all the way in one of the extreme ends. Which one of those suburbs in that area have the best schools? I think that would be the deal maker. Thanks again for all the helpful responses.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:31 AM

Wow RWC....just checked zillow for homes in Churchhill and they are actually not that expensive. Looks like you can get a decent one there for about 350,000. Ive read on the forums that Sburg can be a strip mall black hole but that doesnt really bother me. The wife likes to shop!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs