Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,304 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good diner in the suburbs. I'm in Naperville, don't mind a bit of a drive but just figured I'd say where I'm at as hte less I have to travel the better.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for White Palace Grill on Canal & Roosevelt is one of my favorites.

Looking for a real diner that has a lot of scratch made food, not some greek restaurant or something that is sorta a diner.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
If you have something against Greek restaurant owners you are kinda limiting your options. There are probably a dozen or more places along Ogden with menus that are heavy on the "eggs any time" theme...

The first place that comes to mind with a non-Greek owner also does not have breakfast -- Chef's Corner: http://www.thechefscorner.com/Menu.html

The folks that started Egg Harbor look pretty WASPy to me, http://eggharborcafe.com/eggstras/about-us/, their Naperville location is nice.

Blueberry Hill's owners don't look too swarthy to me either: http://www.blueberrybreakfastcafe.com/directions.html

I think the Banos brothers are generally associated with a higher end establishment even though they are Greek, maybe that will give you the green light to head to Juicy-O http://www.juicyo.com/menus.html

Portillo's empire includes Honey Jam Cafe -- there is one in Batavia. He is Italian: http://www.portillos.com/assets/menu/HJMenu.pdf

Last edited by chet everett; 06-07-2011 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have something against Greek restaurant owners you are kinda limiting your options. There are probably a dozen or more places along Ogden with menus that are heavy on the "eggs any time" theme..
Your missing my point chet. I love the greek family restaurants have nothing against them but I'm looking for a true diner and not a greek breakfast/familyrestaurant.

I'm looking for a true diner. Seeing as how that type of place can be hard to find in the burbs I was anticipating having person after person suggesting some greek family breakfast restaurant and thats not what I'm looking for.

Looking for something somewhat similar to white palace grill but without the drive into the city.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:20 AM

I guess I'm not following you. I have been to the White Palace on way to / from Soldier Field. It you want a tiny little place with a blue collar dive type feel you might want to head to Lyons:

47th St Grill - Lyons | Urbanspoon

Darcy Lynn Restaurant - Lyons | Urbanspoon

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM

358 posts, read 847,333 times
It's a non starter OP. You're favorite diner is in Chicago and you're trying to recreate that experience in the suburbs. It just doesn't exist. The burbs are dominated by sameness. If you're in the city I recommend Depot American, Mannys deli, Lou Mitchell's and Nookie's.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Chumster needs to get out more. Each of the places I cited is locally owned, unique and overall too nice to dismiss.

Anybody that has been to those places would be hard pressed to say that Lou Mitchells or Nookies is not in the same pack.

Again, if you are looking for a hard scrapple scene the landlords in the 'burbs are not going to been keen on delivering that...

Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I guess I'm not following you. I have been to the White Palace on way to / from Soldier Field. It you want a tiny little place with a blue collar dive type feel you might want to head to Lyons:

47th St Grill - Lyons | Urbanspoon

Darcy Lynn Restaurant - Lyons | Urbanspoon
Thanks for the suggestions Chet, both those sound good although I was surprised 47th st didnt have a single review I could find on the net, Darcy Lynn had a few.

I have nothing against greek restaurant owners the guy who owns white palace is greek and I actually like family restaurants but wanted a true diner and seenig as how there are not a whole lot in the suburbs just wanted to be clear I wanted a real diner and not a family breakfast spot.

Like the feel of a diner but also the pretty diverse menu of choices, mexican, italian, breakfast, etc and also like scratch made food not frozen hash browns, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
It's a non starter OP. You're favorite diner is in Chicago and you're trying to recreate that experience in the suburbs. It just doesn't exist. The burbs are dominated by sameness. If you're in the city I recommend Depot American, Mannys deli, Lou Mitchell's and Nookie's.
Obviously you can't recreate white palace in the burbs but I iamgine there has to be a diner closer than white palace.

I normally hit up white palace at least once or twice a month but figured it would be nice to find a nice little diner a little closer, no fun trying to drive into the city at 530 on a weeknite.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
There is Egglectic Cafe in Wheaton on Hale. Its a breakfast lunch type of place (it closes at three pm). Its kind of dinerish but won't have the true grit style of the White Palace. It is housed in a building that had an old fashion diner and it was sold to someone else who established the current place. There is also the Seven Dwarfs on Roosevelt in Wheaton and The Verdict on County Farm. These are all independently owned non chain type restaurants. Hard to find a true grit type diner in the suburbs. Most are not open late at night or might have limited hours. Also Colonial Cafe in Naperville, maybe something on Ogden that might fit the bill.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,808,411 times
Seven dwarfs in wheaton is a good one, also grandma sally's in naperville. That's about as good as it's going to get in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs