U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 11,744 times

Advertisements

I've searched on here on attempting to lower my property taxes in DuPage County, iL. this will be the year where notices will be sent out in august/september on the new assessments of homes. I called around to see if I can hire a lawyer, but was intimidated that she would take 50% of what she would save us, if she does save us anything. I already saved the document i have to fill out. It requires i put down 3 houses that are similar to mine. I need sq. footage info, price sold, and all that stuff. My house was assessed by bloomingdale twnship for $130,000 more than what the house was just appraised for.

Any opinions on where i can obtain this info? I was told to use zillow.com. Is there anywhere else i can find info on houses i can compare my house to? Greatly appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM

21,804 posts, read 37,414,092 times
There is almost no chance that the valuations from zillow are useful for this purpose.

I would suggest you first "scope out" a large number of homes near yours that appear to be similar. Once you have the addresses the DuPage County web site has some useful tools to turn those addresses into PIN (property identification numbers). You can then use the pretty decent tools to determine the taxes paid / assessed valuation. If you find three properties that are much lower than yours that is your best plan of attack. You have to get the info from your township assessor about the details of those homes (like number of beds / baths, age, etc). If it turns out that all things make your home look over assessed they will probably lower assessed valuation to something more inline with neighbors.

No need for an attorney.

The odds of you finding that other homes are even more over assessed is great, if you go through the process and find that out the only thing you've wasted is time...

Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 AM

1,910 posts, read 1,975,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter4483 View Post
It requires i put down 3 houses that are similar to mine. I need sq. footage info, price sold, and all that stuff. My house was assessed by bloomingdale twnship for $130,000 more than what the house was just appraised for.
You said your house was just appraised for lower than the assessment - all the info you need is right there! I'm assuming you used a lender. The lender is required to give you a copy of your appraisal.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 11,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
You said your house was just appraised for lower than the assessment - all the info you need is right there! I'm assuming you used a lender. The lender is required to give you a copy of your appraisal.
yes, i did use my new lender and the new appraisal will be an attachment to the forms i have to fill out and first thing they want to have filled out in that form, are three other homes and i can paperclip the new appraisal as more evidence in addition to the three other homes i will find.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM

355 posts, read 398,772 times
I'm pretty sure they appeals process is the same throughout Dupage....not sure about other counties. Each township should have this on their site....Step by step appeal process here:
York Township Assessor's Office
Good luck

Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,972,100 times
The appeals process is like trying to put a fire out in hell
good luck

Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 PM

6 posts, read 14,967 times
If you have/know a realtor, ask them to give you some "comps," or just ask a local realtor to do a cma for you, which should give you several similar homes, amounts they sold for, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs