Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM

27 posts, read 81,432 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the input. Now the fancy trick is actually finding a rental property in these nice areas that's affordable with a single income lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,075,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
It was the US Bank branch on kedzie. A Chase Bank branch in orland park was also recently robbed. I don't see how that makes it a bad area. The only difference is with the US Bank robbery in homewood the suspects were surrounded by the police and the incident ended in a shootout with police. In orland park the bank robber got away without incident. Bank robberies aside, homewood is very safe. The area of homewood around kedzie and halsted is in fact the highest income area in homewood with the most expensive houses and no apartments. The neighborhood behind the Jewel grocery store is very nice. Most of the homes in the mostly newer subdivisions along kedzie cost way more than the average homewood house.

Oak Forest is nice and as you pointed out very safe. But at no detriment to Homewood which also has a crime rate below the national average and well below chicagolands average. Neither area has a serious crime problem at all. My personal choice would be homewood just because I feel the overall aesthetics of homewood is alot better than oak forest. In my opinion homewood just looks alot better than oak forest does. But, the biggest differences as with most of chicagoland is related to the demographics of the people who choose to live in the different communities. Homewood is a mixed race community of mostly college educated middle class professionals, young couples, and older empty nesters. As of the last census, 43.3 percent of adult residents living in homewood have a bachelors degree or higher. Compared to only 19.2 percent of residents living in oak forest with a bachelors degree or higher. I am not saying that on average the people who choose to live in homewood are smarter than the people who choose to live in oak forest. But, neighborhoods that attract residents who have higher education attainment levels are generally the better neighborhoods.
I really dont think oak forest is that bad its mainly just subdivisions no core downtown except if you count 159th street
Oak Forest is close to alot of nice areas too Tinley, Palos, Orland, Homewood, crestwood. all good places

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,025,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
But, the biggest differences as with most of chicagoland is related to the demographics of the people who choose to live in the different communities. Homewood is a mixed race community
Actually, I don't think the racial demographics of Homewood apartments and Oak Forest apartments are that different. In my experience, both are predominately white but with a prevalent black population. I actually know more black people who live in Oak Forest than white people and I'm white..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTango View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the input. Now the fancy trick is actually finding a rental property in these nice areas that's affordable with a single income lol
Then I would highly recommend looking into an apartment in Park Forest, Richton Park (case out the neighborhood first) or Matteson. All are perfectly safe - especially if kids are a non-issue. This thread isn't so bad but it's funny how in the Chicago city-data forum, people are adamantly directed away from the areas they can actually afford..

Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM

I hear you everything seems to be defaulted- on a few select suburbs.........

Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Then I would highly recommend looking into an apartment in Park Forest, Richton Park (case out the neighborhood first) or Matteson. All are perfectly safe - especially if kids are a non-issue. This thread isn't so bad but it's funny how in the Chicago city-data forum, people are adamantly directed away from the areas they can actually afford..
that part actually is kind of frustrating. i scoured homewood and flossmoor and the few listings i found are more than i'm paying now which is not exactly motivating me to move down here. and the gas is killing me. plus my poor car is twelve years old with 140,000 miles. we're both very tired of driving for an hour and a half everyday.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,823,048 times
Probably Tinley Park, just a train ride to Blue Island.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:34 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,025,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Probably Tinley Park, just a train ride to Blue Island.
I live very far south and even for me a car ride to blue Island is less than half the amount of time that the OP is currently driving.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:15 PM

yeah it's the downtown driving that gets you. i was hoping for south east so i was closer to 94 and michigan but everything that i have found in my price range has awful awful reviews

Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTango View Post
yeah it's the downtown driving that gets you. i was hoping for south east so i was closer to 94 and michigan but everything that i have found in my price range has awful awful reviews
Have you looked in Crete, Beecher, Monee, far south burbs but close to 94 and Illinois 394. I know its kind of far but with the highway nothing is too far away in those areas

Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 PM

I haven't but I'll take a look, thanks. Hopefully distance from the city will make the desirable apartments more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs