Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM

179 posts, read 486,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nonny_moose View Post
I will be working in Plainfield (at 59 & 30) for about 2 years. I'm moving from Dallas and have little knowledge of Chicago or the outlying areas. I've been told that Naperville is a nice area but that not much is happening in Plainfield. I'm a 23 y/o single young professional male. Where should I live? Cities, neighborhoods, and specific apartments, etc. would be appreciated. I don't mind commuting a few extra minutes if that location is advantageous.
Thanks in advance.
Oh dear God. Plainfield and Naperville are both nice cities. Yes, there is congestion, especially along Rt. 59 ... but many of the village/cities in the Chicagoland suffer the same. Ignore all the bashing here, set your priorities, and work on finding what's best for you.
I'm going to suggest this. Find a reputable, knowledgeable realtor and talk to them in depth about your housing needs and your quality of life desires. They'll have a very good idea of what fits your lifestyle and needs best. I especially recommend this given you're coming from our of the area. Also be willing to spend a little time researching the area a bit. It will payoff in the long run and you'll be much happier. There's a huge choice of style and location from which to choose. Everything from new and modern to more established, quaint, historical in this area. Decide what suits you best ... and work with a professional to find it. Overlook the naysayers. There's quality and a good life to be found, should you put a little effort into finding it for yourself. Best of luck, no matter what your final decision. And welcome to the area ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLover2 View Post
Yes, there is congestion, especially along Rt. 59 ... but many of the village/cities in the Chicagoland suffer the same. Ignore all the bashing here, set your priorities, and work on finding what's best for you.
I'm not quite sure who the "bashing" comment's directed toward, but I've lived in Naperville since January 1988 and have seen the gridlock predicted in the late 80s come to pass. For someone like myself who doesn't enjoy fighting the traffic during a commute, it's not pleasant. I personally find it a nightmare, whether or not the OP chooses to do so is his prerogative.

The good news for the OP is: there are always alternate routes. Folks I know who live south of 75th street will use Eola Road, for example, to avoid Route 59. And during holiday shopping season, everyone with good sense avoids the Aurora Avenue/Route 59 area. Just my opinion, which I don't think qualifies this comment as "bashing".

Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
I bashed Plainfield. Naperville is fine if you like that sort of thing.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,699,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLover2 View Post
Oh dear God. Plainfield and Naperville are both nice cities. Yes, there is congestion, especially along Rt. 59 ... but many of the village/cities in the Chicagoland suffer the same. Ignore all the bashing here, set your priorities, and work on finding what's best for you.
I'm going to suggest this. Find a reputable, knowledgeable realtor and talk to them in depth about your housing needs and your quality of life desires. They'll have a very good idea of what fits your lifestyle and needs best. I especially recommend this given you're coming from our of the area. Also be willing to spend a little time researching the area a bit. It will payoff in the long run and you'll be much happier. There's a huge choice of style and location from which to choose. Everything from new and modern to more established, quaint, historical in this area. Decide what suits you best ... and work with a professional to find it. Overlook the naysayers. There's quality and a good life to be found, should you put a little effort into finding it for yourself. Best of luck, no matter what your final decision. And welcome to the area ...
Plainfield is certainly not geared towards a young 23 year old male! Most of the comments aren't bashing anything but being honest...If I were a 23 year old I would want the truth. Truth is, you do not want to live in Plainfield. It is sprawling, and barely any nightlife what so ever. Plainfield is good for young families who want a house/yard etc.. A single 23 year old male would be bored out of his mind there.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My wife now only goes to Plainfield at most twice a week (usually once). Her company set her up with an office downtown. The company knows where people want to work.
A lot of companies in the news lately are putting up shop downtown
Your right companies know where the talent lives and where they want to work

your seeing more and more of this all the time now days

Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
I will be working in Plainfield (at 59 & 30) for about 2 years. I'm moving from Dallas and have little knowledge of Chicago or the outlying areas. I've been told that Naperville is a nice area but that not much is happening in Plainfield. I'm a 23 y/o single young professional male. Where should I live? Cities, neighborhoods, and specific apartments, etc. would be appreciated. I don't mind commuting a few extra minutes if that location is advantageous.
Thanks in advance.
If your working in Plainfield and looking for anykind of night life etc Naperville would be okay . If I was 23 again Naperville would be pretty cool

As long as you rent and then you are mobile if needed.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,010 times
Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Plainfield is a decent suburb and yes it has foreclosures but so does the rest of the country. It has a decent downtown and is still only a 10-15 minute drive to Naperville. Foreclosures aren't a bad thing, I mean you could get a house/condo for cheap now a days. You can find a condo for a good price anywhere within a 50 mile radius. If you want nightlife, Plainfield has some, Naperville has it to but you have to go downtown for both. Traffic on 59 is a nightmare, they are still finishing construction by 59 and downtown Plainfield which doesn't help. If you want more nightlife you can go to any number of suburbs and there is always Chicago. If those don't suit you then you can drive to St.Louis, Milwaukee, or Indianapolis...all within five hours. Downtown Naperville has a lot of nice historic houses too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs