Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Really. There are gang presences in the Naperville high schools. Here's an example from a couple of years ago:

2 sought in killing of Naperville man - Chicago Tribune
Bad things happen in all places Naperville is no different.

Just to clarify thouggh the guy wasn't in high school he was out of school and owned a townhome in Naperville.

As for the guys who did it they were all from Aurora and Joliet and the guy was a drug dealer who was set up by his friends.

Drug dealers get robbed, thats part of the business. A normal citizen living in Naperville is very unlikely to be a victim of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Hello neighbor! I live in Briarcliffe. Its very safe and the homes are reasonable. There is an area just west of casa solina and 22nd called Holly Brook, which might be the tiniest bit sketchy, but I've never seen a lick of trouble there. Its just that the cars are a tad older and there is more street parking.

I've jogged here after dark and so have my roommates. Actually, this time of year, plenty of joggers and dog walkers are out after the sun sets.

College of DuPage is just behind Briarcliffe, so you get the occasional first year student driving too fast through your neighborhood, but its minimal.

Stay at least 1/2 mile south of Route 38. There are some low income rentals along 38 near the Jewel and that area can be a little more sketchy.

Brookdale is nice because you are very near McDowell Forrest Preserve which is a pretty place to walk and ride bikes. Briarcliffe also has some nice parks in the area and is 5 minutes from the Morton Arboretum.

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 08-02-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Sketchy and Naperville in the same sentence, really?

Yeah, when you head to the western border near East Aurora, things can get more colorful. Behind Fox Valley Mall area. But you are technically in Aurora at that point.

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 08-02-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Bad things happen in all places Naperville is no different.

Just to clarify thouggh the guy wasn't in high school he was out of school and owned a townhome in Naperville.

As for the guys who did it they were all from Aurora and Joliet and the guy was a drug dealer who was set up by his friends.

Drug dealers get robbed, thats part of the business. A normal citizen living in Naperville is very unlikely to be a victim of violence.
I wasn't providing the link to indicate the guy was in high school but as an example of the sort of crime that occasionally happens here ... the mention of high schools was intended to show that we have gangs in high schools just like all the other suburbs.

I'm sure the neighbors didn't care that the killers were from Aurora and Joliet ... just as I didn't appreciate that rape was attempted 30 feet from my door at my apartment complex pool by someone who knew the victim. I've lived by the way for the past eight years in one of the "sketchy" Naperville neighborhoods mentioned.

Again, if it were me I wouldn't want to invest my money in a home near these apartments even though I feel relatively safe here ... some of the other complexes down the street are much "sketchier" than mine. Crime rates affect property values.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I wasn't providing the link to indicate the guy was in high school but as an example of the sort of crime that occasionally happens here ... the mention of high schools was intended to show that we have gangs in high schools just like all the other suburbs.

I'm sure the neighbors didn't care that the killers were from Aurora and Joliet ... just as I didn't appreciate that rape was attempted 30 feet from my door at my apartment complex pool by someone who knew the victim. I've lived by the way for the past eight years in one of the "sketchy" Naperville neighborhoods mentioned.

Again, if it were me I wouldn't want to invest my money in a home near these apartments even though I feel relatively safe here ... some of the other complexes down the street are much "sketchier" than mine. Crime rates affect property values.
The area this drug dealer robbery happenned in is on the south side of Naperville probably about a half mile from Neuqua Valley High School, definately not a sketchy area. This area is right down the street from White Eagle and the neighorhood surrounding this area is all nicer homes that back up to Springbrook Golf Course. This isn't a sketchy area but I guess it does go to show bad stuff happens everywhere.

Obviously nobody wants to live around crime but personally targeted crime doesn't make me all that fearful. If someone were randomly going around stabbing people I'd be worried, if a guy assaults his ex wife that's terrible but I'm not in danger because of that happening, the crime or violence is targeted and in decent areas this is generally going to be the crime that happens.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:30 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
wheaton is not sketchy in the least. some people confuse modest with sketchy. yes there are some apts where poorer people live. wheaton is very very safe and so is naperville. personally briarcliffe is not my favorite subdivision but there is nothing wrong with it. Id expand looking at other areas of wheaton too and not just search in briarcliff.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Here are crime rate maps by neighborhood for Naperville and Wheaton that the OP might find interesting (map for Aurora included for comparison sake):

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs