Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 19,788 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm going to be moving to Chicago and I need some suggestions on where to live and specifically any good deals on properties or areas being developed. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. Looking to live only in the suburbs of Chicago.
2. Should be close to a Metra train station. I'll be commuting to downtown everyday so the closer east would be best (something like Wood Dale).
3. Looking for a town home, less than 10 years old under 100K. (That is what I'm shooting for, hopefully). The newer the better. I see lots of deals out there, but it is overwhelming when you don't know the area.
4. Safe area and neighborhood.

Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
Wooddale is poorly served by metra and not really laid out to take advantage of location close to O'Hare.

There might be some condos that are under 10 years old and under $100K but I doubt that you will find a great abundance of these near any train station.

I would concentrate on the train lines that have the best service and largest numbers of newer condos.

The BNSF line is very well served and has many towns with a good mix of condos -- start looking around Berwynn and let the train schedule be your guide, but I think you can get expresses out as far as Lisle that are still right around 35 minutes or so.

Similarly you can get good service along the UP-West line, Oak Park might have some bargains, and you can get speedy service in Elmhurst through Glen Ellyn / Wheaton.

UP-NW line has good service and condos close to station from park Ridge through Palatine, though sub $100k is going to mean a "cash only" development...

UP-North has good service, but no way you are going to hit your price point in Lincolnwood through Glencoe...

If you venture out to the less well served line, like Milwaukee District, North Central Service, Southwest Servce,Heritage Corridor, Rock Island or Metra Electric you might find some lower priced units, but the trade offs in service and lack of any kind of "rail centric" development make for less than stellar options...

Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Hi Chet,

Thanks for your insight!

I will look at areas around the BNSF line.

Thanks again!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,068,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnoodle View Post
Hi,

I'm going to be moving to Chicago and I need some suggestions on where to live and specifically any good deals on properties or areas being developed. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. Looking to live only in the suburbs of Chicago.
2. Should be close to a Metra train station. I'll be commuting to downtown everyday so the closer east would be best (something like Wood Dale).
3. Looking for a town home, less than 10 years old under 100K. (That is what I'm shooting for, hopefully). The newer the better. I see lots of deals out there, but it is overwhelming when you don't know the area.
4. Safe area and neighborhood.

Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!
Okay so I am partial to Tinely Park but Elmhurst is very nice
Tinley is a nice community and is worth taking a look. Easy access to Metra
Great supply of housing stock so it seems , not a realtor but it seems to fit your criteria

Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM

427 posts, read 459,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wooddale is poorly served by metra
Huh? What in the world are you talking about?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM

818 posts, read 2,160,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
Huh? What in the world are you talking about?
I think the truth lies somewhere between. Wood Dale is served by the MD-W line, and there are decent train options. However, the BNSF and UP-W line do have more trains and more express trains. So, I would say Wood Dale is better served by METRA than towns like Carpentersville that have no METRA line nearby. However, it is not as well served as towns like Downers Grove, or Arlington Heights with good train schedules, and a lot of good express trains.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

Wood Dale does have its own Metra stop.

I did see properties in Carpenterville at very good prices, but the commute would be killer. Also there is not Metra stop close by.

I also see great properties in Glendale Heights (townhomes and condos), but the closest Metra stop would put me at Glen Ellyn station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs