Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,504 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Aurora and want to move further north and closer to the city. I have children living in Elgin and Chicago. I like older homes and established communities. My house is from 1900's. My kids are grown, but I have two dogs and need an area where there is a dog park or forest area where they can run. My neighobrs in Aurora are too Republican and judgmental for my tastes. If possible I'd like to be near a Metra. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Des Plaines may work. They have older, established neighborhoods; Metra stop; a dog park near Oakton community College in the Cook County Forest Preserve by Central and 294; a decent (for suburb) downtown and a nice library.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Roselle would be fairly close to the middle. What's your price range?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Gee, I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Roselle would be fairly close to the middle. What's your price range?
If Aurora residents are "too Republican and judgmental" I would worry about folks in Roselle...

Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM

I had missed that point. I think DuPage in general is less Republican than it was back in the day. I grew up there and mom and dad are still Republicans as is one of my brothers, the rest of us (3) are pretty far to the left and one of those lives in Roselle.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,504 times
Well Aurora now is very diverse, but where I live they are still quite conservative- alot more like Dupage and Kendall county residents. The day the US started bombing Iraq every house in the neighborhood put a flag up. That's when I wanted to get out. I'd like an area where people are friendly and lean more liberal. I'd like if possible an area with a nice downtown like so many of the western suburburbs closer to the city have, but don't know if any of the northwest burbs are like that. They all seem to be just suburbs rather than towns. My price would only be up to 300,000. I will still be working in Elgin and part time in Aurora so I don't think I could go as far as Des plaines, but do like that area.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Palatine has a decent downtown. I don't know where it falls on the neighbors-that-are-patriotic vs neighbors-that-are-in-favor-of-big-government scale. On the one hand the town's leader's voiced their displeasure at Stroger's ridiculous taxes quite loudly while tearing down a K-Mart to build a huge new "governmental center"(with City Hall and all the trimmings) but they have lots of flags and nice parades. It is in Cook Co.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc527 View Post
Well Aurora now is very diverse, but where I live they are still quite conservative- alot more like Dupage and Kendall county residents. The day the US started bombing Iraq every house in the neighborhood put a flag up. That's when I wanted to get out. I'd like an area where people are friendly and lean more liberal. I'd like if possible an area with a nice downtown like so many of the western suburburbs closer to the city have, but don't know if any of the northwest burbs are like that. They all seem to be just suburbs rather than towns. My price would only be up to 300,000. I will still be working in Elgin and part time in Aurora so I don't think I could go as far as Des plaines, but do like that area.
Check with the library to see if they have maps from last few presidential elections to see what towns and neighborhoods fit your needs. Then drive around and see if you like the area and can afford it. Why not move into the older sections of Elgin or Aurora? Under 300K, check. OLder homes, check. Democratic, check.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM

393 posts, read 891,283 times
The North Shore would be your best bet for liberality, old homes, dog parks, and forests. They're on the pricey side, but they're very nice. They are well-served by Metra's Union Pacific-North line. Ideas include Lake Forest, Highland Park, Lake Bluff, and Northbrook. Highwood is sandwiched in there, it is a little more working-class with many nice Italian and Mexican restaurants and groceries, I personally like it down there very much. Highwood isn't really a "working-class" area, it's just kind of like that compared to the more upper-class areas that surround it.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM

But not if the OP is working in Elgin and Aurora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs