Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times

Advertisements

I've looked through apartments.com and rent.com, but I'm afraid of what I'm missing. This is a second residence (my family will be staying in Ohio), so I'm looking for something pretty cheap. Not so cheap that I'd have to move passed-out meth-heads out of my parking spot everyday, but cheap: $500 - $700 a month for a studio or 1 bedroom.

Thanks for any help you can give me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are not a whole lot of run down area near the Sears offices in Hoffman Estates. Towns like Barrington have mostly resisted large rental complexes. If you look in Palatine there is ample evidence of the sort of low income crowding that often happens in such developments.

If you just need a studio I would suggest using the local newspapers. There are a handful of older building in-town Barrington that might work well, but those landlords typically don't much more than hang a sign in the window...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are not a whole lot of run down area near the Sears offices in Hoffman Estates. Towns like Barrington have mostly resisted large rental complexes. If you look in Palatine there is ample evidence of the sort of low income crowding that often happens in such developments.

If you just need a studio I would suggest using the local newspapers. There are a handful of older building in-town Barrington that might work well, but those landlords typically don't much more than hang a sign in the window...
Yet you can find nice apartments in Palatine. Avoid the large complexes along Rand Rd. and Dundee as a general rule of thumb.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
That's a pretty low price range for the area, but there are fairly nice areas of Elgin that would have apartments that might work for you. You might have the best luck looking on craigslist. For example, I have a 3-flat built in 1880. We rent our 1 bedroom for $650. It's not fancy, but it's clean and has all the basics. I'm not looking for a new tenant, we're full, but there are similar buildings on the northeast side that would be pretty close to Sears. An owner occupied property is a good choice because they will be picky about their tenants. Apartment complexes in that price range are a little scary to me.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM

41 posts, read 81,978 times
I agree with pp.

Try apartments in converted houses in East Elgin. Avoid the big complexes in Elgin, but there are some decent small buildings with 2-5 apartments each.

I lived in Hunter's Ridge complex in west Elgin. Studios are $650-800. It's about 15, maybe 20 minutes from the sears building. I recommend it if you don't mind the drive. It's right on I-90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs