U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,559,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I disagree. The suburbs have plenty of bike trails, forest preserves, ect. that the city doesn't offer -
Bike trails are one thing, busy roads are another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,104,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Suburbs, vehicles, and bicycles do not mix.
When people have that attitude, problems often arise.
On certain roads I agree with your observation. Rte 12, rte 59, Barrington Rd would be unwise to ride on. There is a very small section of Rte 53 through Long Grove we ride on to connect mellower roads and it is very unpleasant.
But, seemingly, roads like Gilmer, Cuba, Kelsey, Old McHenry and Miller are Ok to ride on and drivers seem to be pretty observant. Then there are really nice roads with less traffic like, Old Barrington, Otis, Ivanhoe, Plum Tree Hill?, Signal Hill and River(north of Algonquin/east side of river).
I wish more roads had the yellow share the road bicycle signs to remind drivers. I think drivers are more patient on roads with these signs because some think it is a de facto bike route sign. When I travel out of the area, I appreciate the signs, it raises my alertness level and is a beneficial reminder.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,390,448 times
Riding into Cook County from Monee or University Park is ridiculous. I've found that the only safe and pleasent way to do it is to cut through the industrial park (ie: Central Avenue). Governors Highway needs a side of the road!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,280,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
When people have that attitude, problems often arise.
On certain roads I agree with your observation. Rte 12, rte 59, Barrington Rd would be unwise to ride on. There is a very small section of Rte 53 through Long Grove we ride on to connect mellower roads and it is very unpleasant.
But, seemingly, roads like Gilmer, Cuba, Kelsey, Old McHenry and Miller are Ok to ride on and drivers seem to be pretty observant. Then there are really nice roads with less traffic like, Old Barrington, Otis, Ivanhoe, Plum Tree Hill?, Signal Hill and River(north of Algonquin/east side of river).
I wish more roads had the yellow share the road bicycle signs to remind drivers. I think drivers are more patient on roads with these signs because some think it is a de facto bike route sign. When I travel out of the area, I appreciate the signs, it raises my alertness level and is a beneficial reminder.
I hate riding on sidewalks and think adults riding bikes should be one the road, I believe it is safer and better for all bikers....but, when my teenage nephew stayed with us for a couples of weeks to attend a summer camp, I advised him to ride on the sidewalk when on Rt 34 (Ogden) through Naperville...and I would never ride on Rt 59. It is scary enough crossing that road.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I hate riding on sidewalks and think adults riding bikes should be one the road, I believe it is safer and better for all bikers....but, when my teenage nephew stayed with us for a couples of weeks to attend a summer camp, I advised him to ride on the sidewalk when on Rt 34 (Ogden) through Naperville...and I would never ride on Rt 59. It is scary enough crossing that road.
Good advice. Better yet, perhaps an alternate route?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,781,603 times
I have yet to see a cyclist stop for a stop sign. I have one right at the end of my driveway and in 2 years not ONE has stopped for it. I have seen cyclist cross Rt.59 against traffic signals with no regard for the law. The laws work both ways, but 2 wheelers seem to think that they're above the law. Plus they sound like a flock of geese going through the neigborhood, 5\6 abreast. Stick to the bike paths where you knock the walkers out of the way because you own those too.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,559,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I have yet to see a cyclist stop for a stop sign.
Exactly. Law enforcement needs to write tickets for bikers who break the law. They also need to publicize the fact that people on bikes who ride on the roads must obey the same rules as drivers.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I have yet to see a cyclist stop for a stop sign. I have one right at the end of my driveway and in 2 years not ONE has stopped for it. I have seen cyclist cross Rt.59 against traffic signals with no regard for the law. The laws work both ways, but 2 wheelers seem to think that they're above the law. Plus they sound like a flock of geese going through the neigborhood, 5\6 abreast. Stick to the bike paths where you knock the walkers out of the way because you own those too.
Pete, being candid- at stop signs sometimes I stop, sometimes I don't. If there is traffic or approaching traffic, I treat it the way I would if driving and stop properly. If it is empty with no approaching traffic, I cautiously go through. On group rides we are always communicating about cross-traffic, cars from behind, cars approaching we do not want to cause an accident because chances are we get injured or killed. Stop lights are always stopped at even when no traffic is around. So I don't feel I am "above the law", but I see some cyclists who seemingly do I do understand the 5/6 abreast and that is a problem. The law states no more than 2 abreast and some municipalities have rules for single file. At the beginning of group rides it does get 5/6 wide as different groups seperate, but after 2-3 miles it goes down to 2 abreast and we do move single file when we see cars coming from behind.
Just like there are bad drivers, there are bad cyclists. Please don't lump us all into one group, unless you always: drive the speed limit, use your turn signals, come to a complete stop before turning on red and follow all the other rules of the road perfectly. Because then you are just being a hypocrite.
And riding at training speeds on paths is dangerous and irresponsible, we will ride on the streets and roads even though we put ourselves at greater risk by doing so. We will try to stay off the busy roads, but occasionally will need to use them for short stretches. Please be patient, give us our 3 feet and remember your in a 2 ton car we are on a 20# bike.
And I do get p***ed at some cyclists. I shouted at a bonehead Sunday who came down our street, wrong side of street, no helmet, talking on a cell phone-idiot! And then there was the blader going down the center of the street as though it was closed to traffic. And then there are the walkers with strollers using the street even though there is a wide smooth asphalt path on one side and sidewalks with cut-outs on the other. And then there are the drivers who zoom down the street at 40 even though the limit is 25 and there are curves. And the latest club member who got run over by a car due to incompetence after the cyclist stopped completely and treated the intersection like an automobile(can share the story if interested)....................................... ......

Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,781,603 times
I can see that you are a responsible biker, and I appreciate that, but I think that the majority are not. I think the problem is probably the occasional weekend riders. And strangely enough, I do drive the limit (usually under) and do follow the rules much to the anger of my wife who is always telling me to speed up or whatever. Hopefully, one of these days it will all work out.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 PM

8,214 posts, read 12,522,626 times
Quote:
I have yet to see a cyclist stop for a stop sign.
I have yet to see a motorist come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

It takes a fair amount of energy to stop at a stop sign. You bleed all your momentum away, have to unclip your feet so you don't fall over, often have to shift gears to be able to start up gain. Then you have to reclip your feet in overcome static friction to get going again get back up to speed shift back to a higher gear. It is a real pain and drains your energy fast. Also cyclists are often resigned to riding on secondary streets where there is less traffic and lets face it they put stop signs at every intersection which in the city and many inner suburbs is every hundred feet or so. Cars on the other hand can hop on the highways where there are no or much fewer stop signs.

What most cyclists do and which is very reasonable as most cars do as well is slow to the point where they can stop on a dime ~8 mph and of there is no cars with the right of way blow through and only stop if there is a vehicle with the right of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs