Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times

Advertisements

Most cyclist go full speed through stop signs. As far as losing momentum, that's why they put motors on bikes, much better !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
I think it takes balls and stupidity to go full speed through a stop sign/stop light. Culling of the herd occurs naturally, in any case. I just feel bad for the driver who makes hamburger meat of the crazy cyclist they just pummeled.

I ALWAYS *yield* to any motorized vehicle at stop signs, and STOP COMPLETELY at lights. You wouldn't run through flowing traffic in a car, so why would you do it on a bike? That's what completely baffles me.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I stop completely at red lights too. However they have these darn demand actuated lights that will never turn green for a bicycle because there is not enough mass of metal to trigger the sensors in the pavement. I cautiously proceeded through one in Gurnee after waiting a reasonable amount of time and a cop pulled me over and lectured me said I should wait for a car to come along and trigger it. If you can't make a stoplight that functions correctly don't expect me to obey it.

As for stop signs I treat them as yields. My commute to work in Chicago consisted of 41 stop signs and 23 stop lights (I counted) over 15 miles.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
I love to bike, but the Chicago Suburbs have to be some of the least bike friendly places I have ever seen in my life.

If you stay on bike paths, the forest preserve and the side walk its fine, but bikes on the street? Forget it.

I still ride my bike on the sidewalk when I visit my mom in Wheaton. It like a totally different world compared to where I live, where it is extremely bike friendly. I want to say they need more bike lanes, but I'm just not sure if it could work out there.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you can't make a stoplight that functions correctly don't expect me to obey it.

Why not ? We have a government that doesn't function properly, but we still have to obey it !

Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Why not ? We have a government that doesn't function properly, but we still have to obey it !
Well they are working on a law that will allow cyclists and motorcyclists to do what I and most cyclists already do and that is cautiously proceed through sensored lights. However if anyone ever got a ticket for it it would probably be tossed out on the grounds of entrapment. You cannot pass a law that is impossible to follow.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Been watching some very idiotic car drivers lately, using entrance ramps to pass on the right, tail-gating, weaving through traffic to only arrive at the same destination 2 cars lengths farther ahead, no turn signals, etc. Same people must be cycling, bringing the same bad habits!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
I have yet to see a motorist come to a complete stop at a stop sign. .

You are a liar.

Quote:
It takes a fair amount of energy to stop at a stop sign. You bleed all your momentum away, have to unclip your feet so you don't fall over, often have to shift gears to be able to start up gain.

So what? Wear regular shoes then. Coming to a full stop gives you more exercise. That said, to come to an "almost" dead stop is a reasonable way to do it.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM

172 posts, read 438,363 times
I have seen a biker come to a complete stop at a stop sign once. Most of the time bikers don't even slow down and then give you a dirty look because you dare to stop and then cross when it is your turn. I fully support bikers but they really need to follow the rules of the road. I have almost been hit (while walking) by bikers several times because they weren't looking where they were going.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsessa View Post
I have seen a biker come to a complete stop at a stop sign once. Most of the time bikers don't even slow down and then give you a dirty look because you dare to stop and then cross when it is your turn. I fully support bikers but they really need to follow the rules of the road. I have almost been hit (while walking) by bikers several times because they weren't looking where they were going.
Bikers drive motorcycles. Those of us riding a bicycle are cyclists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs