U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,065,328 times

Advertisements

All we cyclists want to do is get a good workout in and return home in one piece! Illinois LAW is motorists must give cyclists 3 FEET minimum distance when passing; and cyclists need to follow rules of the road.

This happened in Elk Grove Village a few weeks ago. Around 8 AM, a clear summer morning.
From a fellow cyclist:My partner Dan (WW rider on BH) was riding another bike of his with front and rear lights on, close to the shoulder of wide 2 lane road. A motorist swept Dan so close within a touching distance and made an immediate right turn in front of him w/o a turning signal.
(well, things like this happen everywhere and too often as we all know)

The window of the vehicle was down so he'd shouted “Use a blinker, please!” (Note: he always uses “please” to motorist and never swear)
Driver shouted back, “Get of the ****ing road!!”

Dan called EGV’s non-emergency police number so an officer could explain the importance of turning signal to the motorist.
Upon arrival of the officer, once the officer recognized that the driver was a firefighter in town (he was wearing the uniform), they immediately shook hands and greeted each other with smiles.
Then, they approached Dan; the driver said he rode crooked.
He denied it because he did not. He's an experienced cyclist with skills; it’s really hard for him to ride crooked.

The driver, then, stated Dan was on the cell phone while riding. What a lie! So Dan replied that it was not true and he made a phone call only after the confrontment from the driver.
Dan stated that he could not believe that the driver’s defense was accusing him of bad skills when it was the driver sweeping too close when no oncoming traffic was present, and turning in front of him without a turning signal.

The officer replied he was just oversensitive.
The driver was not to blame.

... OVERSENSITIVE?!!

The point was the motorist coming to close and not using the turning signal.
How could the driver’s reckless action be dismissed? How was he oversensitive when he was trying to protect himself from the careless driving when it could have resulted in an accident and injury?
It all happened within 1 mile from the High School.

Dan did not say anymore as the officer and the driver were already friends.
It's very frustrating to see things like this happen... !!

Thanks for reading all this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,241,035 times
Ah, the 'ol right hook.

Cycling on fairly busy suburban streets scares the hell out of me. People out there aren't used to seeing cyclists on the roads, therefore get angry and claim ownership of such transportation medium. Also, I find that most suburban dwellers see bicycling as a 'hobby' and the cycle itself is a 'toy'.

I think it also sucks that the 'good ol' boys' mentality is still around.

I think in any case, making the call to the police was probably a futile move. From what I understand, most police don't really care to side with cyclists.

BTW, I am a cyclist too. I ride between 100-125 miles a week between commuting and other errands as well, so I am VERY pro-cyclist.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,548,473 times
Suburbs, vehicles, and bicycles do not mix.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 PM

11,904 posts, read 14,382,431 times
Elk Grove, of all places? Don't they host a couple of bicycle races each year?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
They do and there is a regular Thursday evening ride from a local bike shop as well. It's not like they're cycling down Rte 83, Arlington Heights Rd or Biesterfield.

Quote:
MannheimMadman Ah, the 'ol right hook.

Cycling on fairly busy suburban streets scares the hell out of me. People out there aren't used to seeing cyclists on the roads, therefore get angry and claim ownership of such transportation medium. Also, I find that most suburban dwellers see bicycling as a 'hobby' and the cycle itself is a 'toy'.

I think it also sucks that the 'good ol' boys' mentality is still around.

I think in any case, making the call to the police was probably a futile move. From what I understand, most police don't really care to side with cyclists.

BTW, I am a cyclist too. I ride between 100-125 miles a week between commuting and other errands as well, so I am VERY pro-cyclist.
True, but this needs to change. 50 years ago a drunk driver would be driven home by the local cops or had his keys locked in the trunk, it is now taken very seriously because of the death and injury it causes. The same thing needs to happen with irresponsible drivers blaming cyclists for using the roads. It has to stop and vehicle drivers held accountable! Yes I know there are cyclists who are real jerks when on the saddle. And if a cyclist goes wrong way down a one way street or blows through a red light, most likely s/he is at faul and should be cited and held responsible. But "buzzing" a cyclist or hitting a cyclist for failure to stop or yield should be cited and punished. The cop could have/should have written his buddy a warning at least. Maybe all cops should be required to cycle on the road in civilian clothing so they get a better perspective! Wonder if a close family member were "buzzed" if he would have been so dismissive and jovial.

I just want to say, thanks for sharing the road and being patient. I know drivers have places to go and schedules to keep, but losing 60-90 seconds is FAR less consequential than causing an accident with a cyclist. AND please don't go into the oncoming traffic lane with a double yellow to pass us-wait until it is safe to pass-like passing a car! If we don't notice you, please tap the horn instead of laying into it. Less experienced riders have been known to make sudden, unsafe moves when blasted.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
In some areas I agree. Riding down Rand Rd or Rte 59 is dangerous. But is your comment an observation or an attitude?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,548,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
But is your comment an observation or an attitude?
Observation.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,241,035 times
Quote:
In some areas I agree. Riding down Rand Rd or Rte 59 is dangerous. But is your comment an observation or an attitude?
I'm guessing it's an observation. I lived in Naperville for about 8 years and noticed that I was fine cycling on paths and such, but Lord help you if the desire to cycle on even semi-busy streets arised. The streets are wide enough, but people just don't care and will buzz you, regardless. I remember getting buzzed and the driver looking at me like *I* was a freak for even attempting to be on the streets.

I'll taking riding on Lincoln or Milwaukee at rush hour ANY day of the week versus riding in the suburbs on streets.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,261,072 times
I ride in Naperville 4-5 times a week, year round, but only about 3.5 miles one way to the train. I used to ride up to Rte 59, because it was a bit closer, but I decided to switch to the downtown station because I almost got hit a few times...buzzing, right turns right in front of me, etc. It was scary. I decided that since there was more traffic, lots of stores, and business, that drivers are way too preoccupied...which is a scary thought even when driving.

My ride now is on less busy roads, and also through more residential areas. I find it immensely safer. I also ride right by the police station, which immediately gives people better manners in all aspects of driving.

In the end, we need better communication of road laws (for both drivers and riders) when it comes to cycling and better enforcement.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 AM

4,111 posts, read 7,360,275 times
Quote:
All we cyclists want to do is get a good workout in and return home in one piece! Illinois LAW is motorists must give cyclists 3 FEET minimum distance when passing; and cyclists need to follow rules of the road.

This happened in Elk Grove Village a few weeks ago. Around 8 AM, a clear summer morning.
From a fellow cyclist:My partner Dan (WW rider on BH) was riding another bike of his with front and rear lights on, close to the shoulder of wide 2 lane road. A motorist swept Dan so close within a touching distance and made an immediate right turn in front of him w/o a turning signal.
(well, things like this happen everywhere and too often as we all know)

The window of the vehicle was down so he'd shouted “Use a blinker, please!” (Note: he always uses “please” to motorist and never swear)
Driver shouted back, “Get of the ****ing road!!”

Dan called EGV’s non-emergency police number so an officer could explain the importance of turning signal to the motorist.
Upon arrival of the officer, once the officer recognized that the driver was a firefighter in town (he was wearing the uniform), they immediately shook hands and greeted each other with smiles.
Then, they approached Dan; the driver said he rode crooked.
He denied it because he did not. He's an experienced cyclist with skills; it’s really hard for him to ride crooked.

The driver, then, stated Dan was on the cell phone while riding. What a lie! So Dan replied that it was not true and he made a phone call only after the confrontment from the driver.
Dan stated that he could not believe that the driver’s defense was accusing him of bad skills when it was the driver sweeping too close when no oncoming traffic was present, and turning in front of him without a turning signal.

The officer replied he was just oversensitive.
The driver was not to blame.

... OVERSENSITIVE?!!

The point was the motorist coming to close and not using the turning signal.
How could the driver’s reckless action be dismissed? How was he oversensitive when he was trying to protect himself from the careless driving when it could have resulted in an accident and injury?
It all happened within 1 mile from the High School.

Dan did not say anymore as the officer and the driver were already friends.
It's very frustrating to see things like this happen... !!

Thanks for reading all this.
If I were in your friends shoes, calling the non-emergency police phone number would never occur to me. Depending on the department, I might even expect the officer to show up and look at me and think, "look at this broke crackhead riding a damn bicycle". lol

Good story though. And yeah, drivers need to know how to share the road. I don't know about riding in plain clothes but maybe more cops should should be on the beat riding bicycles (at least temporarily)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I guess that explains why the cyclist expected the cops to care! Although I do suspect the north and west suburbs are more bicycle friendly as a whole than the south suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I disagree. The suburbs have plenty of bike trails, forest preserves, ect. that the city doesn't offer - And routes you don't even have the option of taking in a car. Although I've ridden all around Hyde Park (my friend's neighborhood who is also a cyclist) and up and down Lake Michigan before and it's great. Both suburban and city cycling has its pros and cons.

Last edited by urza216; 10-07-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs