U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

Not to be a downer, but commuting 30, even 45 minutes from a tree lined street to Millennium Park is going to intensely reduce your otherwise potentially great array of choices the burbs have to offer. In fact, it will be hard without a good hour. Many of the relatively close suburbs (west mainly) will give you both a more urban feel, and probably won't have the demographics your looking for.

Try this, go to google maps, set either Oak Park or Evanston as "from", and set your work address as a destination. Also specify public transportation as method (its a picture of a bus... speaking of which, don't even think about commuting with a car unless your work is providing you with parking, driving to and from that area might make you pull your hair out anyway). Try moving the "from" pin around.... see what I mean? You might be able to get around 30 minutes from Oak Park from the moment you step on the metra, but that won't include walking there/wait time.

You need to ask yourself why you want a 30 minute commute, and if it is more important than your other needs. It's why I attempt to live close to work..

Last edited by bro623; 10-09-2011 at 03:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 22,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Parts of the Far south west side and Far Northwest side kinda get burb like. Beverly to the south for instance. The trouble here is schools, but with that budget you could afford a private school and chicago's grade schools are not all bad(they vary).

The burbs of Oak park and Evanston are more urban. River forest is another.

The other burbs mentioned above also fit. Also making sure that you are working regular office hours(i.e. 9-5 or 8-4)ish. Cause you will be taking metra(or CTA) downtown rather than driving. If for some reason you are get off work like say at 1 am downtown then metra is either not a option or a very limited one.

In addition does anyone in your household need to be elsewhere other than downtown chicago(like other parts of the city or the burbs)? That also would make a difference as to where to live.
Great info, please keep the tips coming because I really don't know anything about the area.

Today I commute by car two hours a day and am missing out on some precious time with my toddler so 30 mins commute is my goal. I plan on taking the train and my spouse may have to commute to Hoffman Estates but we aren't sure about that so for now we are focusing on my commute.

I also looked into La Grange, but the taxes were incredible! More than my area today, which I was shocked at.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
Hear are some links for you:
Hyde Park Neighborhood Guide - Chicago.com (http://www.chicago.com/neighborhoods/Hyde_Park/ - broken link)
Beverly Neighborhood Guide - Chicago.com (http://www.chicago.com/neighborhoods/Beverly/ - broken link)
Galewood Neighborhood Guide - Chicago.com (http://www.chicago.com/neighborhoods/Galewood/ - broken link)
Oak Park—20 Best Towns and Neighborhoods in Chicago and the Suburbs - Chicago magazine - April 2010 - Chicago
Gold Coast Neighborhood Guide - Chicago.com (http://www.chicago.com/neighborhoods/gold_coast/ - broken link)
Magnificent Mile Condos, Single Family Homes, Townhomes, & Lofts|Magnificent Mile Neighborhood Description and Home Search

Old 10-09-2011, 03:35 PM

11,891 posts, read 14,359,727 times
Edgebrook Forest Glen, and Jefferson Park in the City are about 30 minutes from Millenium Park. Assume you don't care about the public schools.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM

2,883 posts, read 3,842,668 times
Ravenswood Manor is a city neighborhood that has a tree-lined, suburban feel and you're right on the river.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM

2,930 posts, read 3,687,646 times
Hoffman Estates is a far northwest burb it is like at least 1:00 to 1:30 commute from Chicago worse if there is foul weather. If he is working out that way there is no way the both of you can have a short commute if one of you is working downtown.

That being said I would go for something along the Metra Northwest line or along Metra Milwaukee west line if you like the burbs. It would be a shorter commute than living in the city to Hoffman Estates and you might find something around 45 mins or so for both.

If you are sure he won’t be working that way go for the city or the near burbs (esp. the west ones) for a shorter commute.

Last edited by chirack; 10-09-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,055,514 times
Perhaps Park Ridge. Reasonable commute downtown via Metra, tolerable on days when going by car. Puts spouse closer to Hoffman Estates also and provides some alternate routes besides I-90. Very tree-lined, good schools.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac521 View Post
Hello I'm moving from Fairfield County CT to a job in downtown Chicago (a few blocks from Millenium Park). We are college educated and Caucasian family, we have a 1 1/2 year old and a dog. We are looking for a nice community that is safe, has great schools, parks and most importantly the commute into the job can't be more than 30 minutes (door-to-door). Looking to spend between $500k-$800K to buy a house.

Any advice of towns to look into would be SO appreciated!!
My first piece of advice: expand your commute timeline. I went to school about 3 blocks from Millenium Park. My 7 mile commute -- from well inside the city limits, never mind a cozy tree-lined suburb -- was over half a hour from door to door. That was often true even if I drove, which wasn't often because I don't have the means to live in an $800,000 house and therefore I also don't have the means to pay for parking on a daily basis.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,055,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
* Evanston near Central Street Metra stop (might have to seriously consider private school if living here for reasons that might become obvious upon moving here)
Why? What do you mean? From what I gather Evanston schools are diverse, but still good. Heck, my reason for avoiding Evanston would be high taxes, not the schools. But then again, I think diversity is part of a well rounded education and teaches kids how to navigate the "real world" better.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Why? What do you mean? From what I gather Evanston schools are diverse, but still good. Heck, my reason for avoiding Evanston would be high taxes, not the schools. But then again, I think diversity is part of a well rounded education and teaches kids how to navigate the "real world" better.
The Evanston schools have recently eliminated some tracking and there is a good deal of controversy about it. That, however, applies to the high school and not to the elementary and middle schools.

Evanston Drops Top-Tier High School Course CBS Chicago

Imo, there is no question that tracking has been a problem and that it has not worked for minority kids. Their will still be honors credit, just not honors only classes in humanities in the freshman year. I am a bit worried about how the elimination of the honors biology will play out, but.... my son took the chem-phys program and did not do the honors bio first (he took bio in summer school which was kind of a joke). He did well in the chem-phys program and also in AP biology, so it didn't seem to make a big difference for him as a talented math-science student.

I would not avoid Evanston for this reason. The schools were definitely a plus for my kids (though they are quite a bit older and I can't speak to the changes). When we moved to Evanston, we were warned about the schools. Turned out the warnings were pretty much racist really and the schools, including the high school gave my kids a very good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs