Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 26,553 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm moving from Fairfield County CT to a job in downtown Chicago (a few blocks from Millenium Park). We are college educated and Caucasian family, we have a 1 1/2 year old and a dog. We are looking for a nice community that is safe, has great schools, parks and most importantly the commute into the job can't be more than 30 minutes (door-to-door). Looking to spend between $500k-$800K to buy a house.

Any advice of towns to look into would be SO appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac521 View Post
Hello I'm moving from Fairfield County CT to a job in downtown Chicago (a few blocks from Millenium Park). We are college educated and Caucasian family, we have a 1 1/2 year old and a dog. We are looking for a nice community that is safe, has great schools, parks and most importantly the commute into the job can't be more than 30 minutes (door-to-door). Looking to spend between $500k-$800K to buy a house.

It is probably going to take more than 30 mins door to door from any burb of chicago. More like 45 mins to an hour. What sort of burb are you looking for(more urban or rural)?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:23 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
With your relatively generous budget, desire for a quick commute, other mentioned amenities, and the affluent bedroom county of NYC that you hail from, I suggest the following towns (there could be more that I haven't mentioned):

* Wilmette
* Glenview
* Winnetka (might have to settle for a small home here, but the community is old $$$ like a Greenwich or Darien in CT)
* Northfield
* Hinsdale
* Evanston near Central Street Metra stop (might have to seriously consider private school if living here for reasons that might become obvious upon moving here)

Clearly there are more towns that I can suggest, particularly in the west burbs which I'm not as familiar with. It would help to also know where exactly in CT you are moving from. Also, the towns I mentioned can only get you to downtown during rush hour in 30 minutes if you utilize the Metra train, and probably a rush hour express at that. Best of luck!

Quote:

Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
You probably have a good 10 minute walk just to get from either of the train stations to work, so I doubt 30 minutes is doable, 45 is much more realistic. I'm sure Chet will chime in, look at the various Metra lines and check out train schedules, some of the western suburbs might have what you're looking for.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
BNSF has a few trains to and from Hinsdale that cover it in 20 minutes. If you can find a place within two minutes of Hinsdale station and can sprint from Union Station to the office in eight, you got it. Otherwise, strictly adhering to the 30:00 time will be very difficult.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
How long you are actually willing to commute will dictate where you live. Not everyone enjoys the hour ride on the train to work and back home; but a few do. I would because I would use the time to unwind before I went home. Diversity, architecture, entertainment also play a part. If you want to be nearby then you might like historic, stately Streeterville, or Lincoln Park in the Near North Side.

Oak Park is 8-9 miles from the train station. But. This where you find many conveniences: Good K-8 schools, parks, history, architecture, restaurants, Trader Joe's, and transportation. Trains, Metro, buses, taxi, limo and zip cars are available in OP. The Village of Oak Park is about 60K population. it's very diverse and very pretty with its mature trees and green yards. The regional housing center could possibly find a place with a short lease for you while you look for property.

It is buyers market and with your budget you can afford to be a wee bit picky. Chicago has a lot of surprises and a thousand neighborhoods to investigate.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
You probably have a good 10 minute walk just to get from either of the train stations to work, so I doubt 30 minutes is doable, 45 is much more realistic. I'm sure Chet will chime in, look at the various Metra lines and check out train schedules, some of the western suburbs might have what you're looking for.
30 minutes door to door includes time spent:

1) walking/driving to train station
2) waiting for a train (don't want to cut it too close, right?)
3) actual transit time on train
4) exiting train and walking/cab/bus to office

At a bare minimum, 1, 2, and 4 will likely be 15 minutes if not significantly more.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
It is probably going to take more than 30 mins door to door from any burb of chicago. More like 45 mins to an hour. What sort of burb are you looking for(more urban or rural)?

I'm looking for more of the green grass/tree lined street feel. The commute and good/safe schools are top priority. I would love a subdivision.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
With your relatively generous budget, desire for a quick commute, other mentioned amenities, and the affluent bedroom county of NYC that you hail from, I suggest the following towns (there could be more that I haven't mentioned):

* Wilmette
* Glenview
* Winnetka (might have to settle for a small home here, but the community is old $$$ like a Greenwich or Darien in CT)
* Northfield
* Hinsdale
* Evanston near Central Street Metra stop (might have to seriously consider private school if living here for reasons that might become obvious upon moving here)

Clearly there are more towns that I can suggest, particularly in the west burbs which I'm not as familiar with. It would help to also know where exactly in CT you are moving from. Also, the towns I mentioned can only get you to downtown during rush hour in 30 minutes if you utilize the Metra train, and probably a rush hour express at that. Best of luck!
Great info! Thank you. I'm coming from Fairfield and live in a subdivision so I'm ok with small lots (.15 acres). I would even consider Chicago itself if there were areas that "felt" like a suburb...I know it sounds crazy....but I love the green grass/tree lined street feel. :-)

Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Great info! Thank you. I'm coming from Fairfield and live in a subdivision so I'm ok with small lots (.15 acres). I would even consider Chicago itself if there were areas that "felt" like a suburb...I know it sounds crazy....but I love the green grass/tree lined street feel. :-)
Parts of the Far south west side and Far Northwest side kinda get burb like. Beverly to the south for instance. The trouble here is schools, but with that budget you could afford a private school and chicago's grade schools are not all bad(they vary).

The burbs of Oak park and Evanston are more urban. River forest is another.

The other burbs mentioned above also fit. Also making sure that you are working regular office hours(i.e. 9-5 or 8-4)ish. Cause you will be taking metra(or CTA) downtown rather than driving. If for some reason you are get off work like say at 1 am downtown then metra is either not a option or a very limited one.

In addition does anyone in your household need to be elsewhere other than downtown chicago(like other parts of the city or the burbs)? That also would make a difference as to where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs