U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 PM

15,307 posts, read 16,867,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihochicago View Post
Wow, what a wealth of info! I am going to print this thread out for future reference.

Nana, Evanston sounds *great*, don't get me wrong - my concern is that we will not be able to afford to rent a house there. I'm kind of set on having 3 bedrooms and at least 1.5 bathrooms and a yard. That's what we have now in CA (about 1600 sq. ft.) and it is perfect and I don't want less space especially since we will be inside more in the winter.

We used to live in a condo, and before that an apartment (when dd was a baby) and while it was OK when she was a tiny kid, it wouldn't suit me now. Our neighbors in the condo complex about drove me crazy and I vowed NEVER to live with shared walls again!!

So anyway, when I look at Craigslist, 95% of what is listed in Evanston is apartments, and $2000 does not look like it goes very far. Skokie seems much cheaper and Morton Grove/Niles about the same as Skokie. Glenview and Deerfield look more expensive. But this is all from my very unscientific attempts to find rental homes online. If anyone wants to correct my perceptions, PLEASE do!!

Skokie is less expensive, but I wouldn't think a house there would work for you as most are not going to have much of a yard. I loved Skokie too, but we bought, we did not rent there. It is a nice town, but not as walkable as Evanston. They do have great cultural affairs through their park district. There is a large Indian community and many cultural festivals. (We bought in Evanston too, but when we bought, things were a lot less expensive than they are now). Morton Grove might be a nice compromise if you find the right house for rent. I think there would be more likelihood of a yard there. Not sure about Niles. Glenview and Deerfield are more expensive. Both feed into New Trier for High School, I think and that is a very good school too, but more competitive in atmosphere than I liked.

One thing to think about: In Evanston, we got away with one car. In most places, you will not be able to do that. That made Evanston much more affordable because we walked, biked, used the CTA trains and buses instead of having to pay for gas and maintenance on the second car.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 PM

41,984 posts, read 31,779,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We LOVED living in Evanston with kids.
I love Evanston, too.

I do not get the sense the OP can rent a decent house in Evanston for $2K a month.

The OP also has to take into consideration that heating and cooling the house will also impact how much they can afford to pay in rent.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM

15,307 posts, read 16,867,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I love Evanston, too.

I do not get the sense the OP can rent a decent house in Evanston for $2K a month.

The OP also has to take into consideration that heating and cooling the house will also impact how much they can afford to pay in rent.
You may be right. In point of fact, I don't know that many *houses* in Evanston are for rent at all. A condo might be doable, but even those might be over $2k/month.

I did find one condo at close to 2k

Evanston, Il - Condo - $1,975 00 Available September 2011 - 612 Mulford St #502 | RentalHomesPlus.com

However, as I noted before, what we did to make ends meet was to sell the 2nd car. Savings in gas, insurance, car payment, etc. might be enough to make up the difference.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM

12 posts, read 18,113 times
I am wondering how the commute to Evanston is from Deerfield and what people think of that town, or nearby towns.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 PM

10,293 posts, read 12,421,963 times
Quote:
I am wondering how the commute to Evanston is from Deerfield and what people think of that town, or nearby towns.
Evanston is very nice. Better than 95% of suburbs. If I was forced to live in a suburb, it would probably be Evanston.

It can be expensive though.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Yeah, the 'expensive' part is what's getting me. Realistically we just can't afford to live in a SFH in Evanston, and I'm not willing (yet) to consider living in an apartment. I also don't want to spend every possible cent of our housing budget for something that I won't want to stay in on the long term. I'm not fond of moving so I want to rent a house I can be happy in for several years, until we have saved enough to buy.

Evanston just doesn't seem to be on the table. I'm trying to compile a list of possible suburbs so that when we visit in Nov. I can check them all out.

There is also a Greek cultural center in Deerfield that looks intriguing, as far as Greek dance and language lessons for our daughter. Plus Deerfield schools seem to be good. Thoughts on Deerfield and surrounding areas? How hard would it be for me to drive DH to the Metra station in Highland Park so he can take the Metra down to Evanston? on Google Maps it looks like a quick drive.

We will have 1 car at first so it'd be great if he could take the train...

Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 PM

Just bumping...hoping to hear what people think about commuting to Evanston from as far north as Vernon Hills, as far west as Des Plaines, or anything in that general area...

Old 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM

10,293 posts, read 12,421,963 times
Can't help you with the commute, but St. Andrews Greek Orthodox Church is in Edgewater in the City. Very close to Evanston and a great church!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM

57 posts, read 89,889 times
Quote:
Just bumping...hoping to hear what people think about commuting to Evanston from as far north as Vernon Hills, as far west as Des Plaines, or anything in that general area...
I think Des Plaines wouldn't work because of traffic--it would be too rough.

Vernon Hills, you might be able to make it work by driving directly east from there to a Metra station on the UP-North line (Highwood or Highland Park stations look like the closest) and then taking the commuter train southbound into Evanston (stops at Central, Davis, and Main streets in Evanston). Or maybe driving the whole way would be okay. To tell you the truth I don't know much about the traffic patterns in Chicago.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm23 View Post
I think Des Plaines wouldn't work because of traffic--it would be too rough.

Vernon Hills, you might be able to make it work by driving directly east from there to a Metra station on the UP-North line (Highwood or Highland Park stations look like the closest) and then taking the commuter train southbound into Evanston (stops at Central, Davis, and Main streets in Evanston). Or maybe driving the whole way would be okay. To tell you the truth I don't know much about the traffic patterns in Chicago.
That was one thought I had. It's too bad that dh isn't working in the Loop - there are much better transit options from the NW suburbs to the Loop as compared to Evanston. DH also does not believe that the traffic will really be as bad as I think it will be. He has the insane idea that he will be able to take the *bus*, too. That seems...unlikely, to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or