U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM

104 posts, read 190,306 times

Advertisements

Vernon Hills to Evanston is not a fun commute in the car, or via rail. The Metra lines are totally different and Highwood and Highland Park are not all that close by. Driving there and taking the train would be time consuming and a total hassle. I personally would not recommend that scenario. I know that you get a newer house for your money up there and it is a very nice community but I would prefer a closer location. It really will come down to how much time your husband is willing to commute and what you are willing to compromise on.

I think the Des Plaines commute would be better, but I think that there are more convenient options for you. I know someone that commutes daily to Evanston in the car from Mt. Prospect. You might want to check that out. It isn't totally close either, but you do get more for your money and the schools are supposed to be pretty good there. That would definitely be a car commute, though not train. I would only suggest a train commute from somewhere along the Metra UP- North Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM

12 posts, read 18,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 847mom View Post
Vernon Hills to Evanston is not a fun commute in the car, or via rail. The Metra lines are totally different and Highwood and Highland Park are not all that close by. Driving there and taking the train would be time consuming and a total hassle. I personally would not recommend that scenario. I know that you get a newer house for your money up there and it is a very nice community but I would prefer a closer location. It really will come down to how much time your husband is willing to commute and what you are willing to compromise on.

I think the Des Plaines commute would be better, but I think that there are more convenient options for you. I know someone that commutes daily to Evanston in the car from Mt. Prospect. You might want to check that out. It isn't totally close either, but you do get more for your money and the schools are supposed to be pretty good there. That would definitely be a car commute, though not train. I would only suggest a train commute from somewhere along the Metra UP- North Line.
That's interesting b/c on the map, it looks like Mt. Prospect is farther from Evanston than Vernon Hills.

Hmm. I wish I could be there and drive it. DH arrived today but he has to work and doesn't have a car there right now so I don't know how much neighborhood scoping he can do before we come to visit (and hopefully find a place) in a few weeks.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,089,359 times
If you don't mind a smaller, older house check out Glenview or Morton Grove. Glenview schools are good especially those feeding into Glenbrook HS or New Trier. Morton Grove, I like the sections that feed into Parkview or Golf school district. Western section of Wilmette may also fit budget and provide decent commute and excellent schools. The older sections of Glenview and Wilmette with smaller homes are often surprisingly affordable. It's the modest house in great neighborhood approach.
I am 2.5 miles from Randhurst shopping center in Mt. Prospect. Takes me about 50-ish minutes to downtown Evanston in heavy traffic, sometimes a few minutes less. Commuting suburb to suburb via Pace bus is doable, but I have read posts where it takes longer than driving.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM

104 posts, read 190,306 times
I totally agree with CubsSoxfan, that is what came to mind when I saw your original post. It does seem like you want a larger, newer home, from your follow-up posts. That of course, will add to your commute time to Evanston. I myself did the smaller, older good location with great schools, but everyone has different priorities and tastes. I am sure that you will figure it all out when you visit and check out your potentials list. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM

15,341 posts, read 16,930,433 times
There are buses from some places into Evanston. You would have to work out where you would be living if you wanted that option.

Pace Bus - Search Results

Pace Bus - Search Results

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM

1,375 posts, read 433,148 times
Congratulations on your husband's new job! The Chicago area has so many things to do. You will always be busy exploring and you will likely be meeting people at your new church.

Have you considered renting an old-fashioned 1920's duplex or two-flat? We lived in one and loved it. It was two "houses" right on top of each other. We lived on the first floor. We had windows on all four sides, including a bay window in both the living room and dining room. We had a basement, which was divided in half, one half for each tenant. We had a washer and dryer down there, and a room where we kept a ping pong table. There was a front porch, and you had to walk up about six steps to the entrance. The higher first floor also allowed for windows in the basement. There was a huge attic on the third floor where we stored lots of things. We had a front yard and fenced back yard and half of the garage [for one car]. This is a housing option that is not built as frequently now as in the past; Evanston has many of them. Some have fireplaces, pantries, and sun rooms, as well as original woodwork. When you are here, you could take a look at one or two. They are a nice option. I agree with some of the earlier posters that say "save money by living close to work". Sometimes a walkable, transit-oriented location is worth the extra money. Good luck with your move!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM

12 posts, read 18,155 times
Well...I am pretty set on sending dd to a Greek day school in Deerfield, so we have been looking for places in that general area. We found a great condo that is perfect for us and although it's not finalized, I think we are going to go with that. DH drove between his job and Deerfield during rush hour to "test" it and he didn't think it was bad at all. California traffic is the worst, so we are already used to commutes etc. And the commute for dd to school will be short which is what we were more concerned about. I'm just itching to get there and see the area. I've seen pictures of the house, and google street view'd the immediately surrounding area, and looked up what stores are close, but nothing compares to getting there and driving around!

Thanks for everyone's help in this thread!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,089,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihochicago View Post
Well...I am pretty set on sending dd to a Greek day school in Deerfield, so we have been looking for places in that general area. We found a great condo that is perfect for us and although it's not finalized, I think we are going to go with that. DH drove between his job and Deerfield during rush hour to "test" it and he didn't think it was bad at all. California traffic is the worst, so we are already used to commutes etc. And the commute for dd to school will be short which is what we were more concerned about. I'm just itching to get there and see the area. I've seen pictures of the house, and google street view'd the immediately surrounding area, and looked up what stores are close, but nothing compares to getting there and driving around!

Thanks for everyone's help in this thread!
Congrats! Nice area, excellent public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or