Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 PM

103 posts, read 200,251 times

Advertisements

I was a teacher here in Florida for a few years and was recently laid off. No luck so far in finding a job other than subbing(poverty wages).
The governor has really yanked teachers salaries around too. Now we have to contribute 3% to a pension fund and our pay hasn't improved.

My plan in 2003 was to move back to Illinois and find a job in Public Relations (or Hotel Sales) after I finished my BA degree in Florida in 2005.
But, I got greedy and bought some real estate properties during the real estate boom. The market took off like a rocket after I bought and I could have made some serious money if I sold, but I held on hoping the market would keep going up. Then the bad news hit. The market tanked. I lost everything.
I am filing bankcruptcy as my condo and land foreclose. Also, no employment means I can't pay the mortgages.

Anyway, I hoping to get a fresh start.

I want to move back to Illlinois and find a teaching job up there preferably around Naperville, Wheaton, or Glen Ellyn areas. I am not picky on where i live. Just some place in Dupage County. If I cannot find a teaching position I will try to land a job hotel sales or PR work.
My gut is telling me to go for it, but then I also am being pulled back to stay here in Florida because Illinois is going through some tough times(rumor has it).

I will be honest I do not like the people of Florida. It is a right-to-work state and many, many employers take advantage of that. Plus, there are many transients that live here. I do not feel a close connection anyone here nor care to associate with these people. Just not my type of culture here.

My other choice would be to find different work in Texas(obviously better employment). I just don't know anyone in Texas. I want to come back home to Illinois after being away for 20+ years. Maybe looking into Hotel sales, PR work, or teaching again.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
You're looking for work in some very desirable areas, branch out to places no IL teachers want to work.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Jobs are really scarce here in IL. Also it will be very hard to find one unless you come up here. The areas you mention are upscale and expensive. Teaching jobs are scarce or non existent. Eventually you can find your way back to IL but you will need to have a serious game plan.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 PM

103 posts, read 200,251 times
Default Any ideas?

Thanks.

Can you guys offer any ideas about what suburbs are ideal for setting up camp so to speak? Low cost, safe, nice areas of Chicagoland.

I have skills to use in the hotel industry, namely sales. I also have a teaching background.
If teachers are scarce in certain areas, can you give me some leads on suburbs or districts where there is a higher demand?

Hotels would be another choice. I have 15 years experience in the hotel industry. I could commute to downtown Chicago to work at the nicer hotels. I am sure there are plenty of entry level jobs in the hotel industry to get my feet wet: such as bartending, bellhopping, waiting tables, concierge. I am not afraid of hard work.

I can do anything. I just need someone to throw me an anchor and I can do the rest.

Thanks again.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I see some apts on craigslist that are slightly under 1,000 per mo....like 800-900 in places like Berwyn, Forest Park, Lisle, Lagrange, Wood ridge if you want to live in a suburb. Any of these would probably be okay but you really have to check them out.

Another option is to live in the city and you can explore places also on craigs list.

There seems to be quite a few restaurant jobs on CL too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs