U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM

189 posts, read 540,193 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. First of all, I'm an American that grew up here in Malaysia. I've never been to US before. This November 5th I'll be moving to Park Forest with my aunt but I'll be living mostly independent. I have a couple of questions about public transportations (bus/trains).

1. From Park Forest, where do I walk to the nearest bus stop or ride a bus to go to the train station?

2. What train should I take to go to Chicago downtown?

3. Lastly (not really about public tranpos), where is the best Malaysian food restaurant in Chicago? incase I'll miss our food here.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,351,225 times
I lived in Park Forest for most of my life so I think I got this..

Take the Metra train to get downtown. The Metra Electric line to be more specific. The nearest Metra station from Park Forest depends on where in Park Forest you are moving to. Most likely the Matteson train station but maybe the Richton Park station.

You might be able to walk to the train station. If you live near Sauk Trail in Park Forest, you can walk to the Richton Park station. The Mattson train station is also just outside of the Park Forest village limits. If you live by Illinois street, you should be able to walk to the station in Matteson. I know more than one Park Forest residents who walks to the Metra station from their house in Park Forest regularly. I've walked to the Matteson Metra station from Park Forest myself. No matter where you live in Park Forest you can EASILY ride a bicycle to a Metra station.

You will be striking gold if you find Maywasan food anywhere in the south suburbs. I can tell you right now that you won't find it in Park Forest and you won't find it in Matteson or Olympia Fields either. And if you do strike gold and find in the south suburbs, it will prabobly be on the other side of I-57. Try looking around the city for Malaysian food. Maybe ask people from the north side of Chicago not Park Forest... lol

Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 AM

Hello Urza, thank you for the answer. I google map our address in Park Forest, and it was near the Algonquin Park & Westwood Drive. The nearest station is Matteson, so I guess I'll just have to walk there for 30-45 mins.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Hello Urza, thank you for the answer. I google map our address in Park Forest, and it was near the Algonquin Park & Westwood Drive. The nearest station is Matteson, so I guess I'll just have to walk there for 30-45 mins.
The East Gate neighborhood? Although you won't be going to sleep to the sound of gunshots, I would recommend looking into a different part of town. You can get a home for relatively cheap in a nicer part of Park Forest. What brings you from your country to there?

No, that's not really walking distance to the Matteson train station.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM

East Gate isn't dangerous to walk at night unless you yourself are up to something. I've walked that neighorhood after dark many times before. An old friend of mine lives there. However, it is the roughest part of Park Forest. The Park Forest PD refers to it as a "high crime area". I really don't want to scare you away from moving to Park Forest but just so you are aware, that's not exactly the best part of town. And I suppose if you have to walk to the Matteson train station from there you can. You got to do what you got to do. It's feasible but not desirable. Do you not have a car OR a bicycle?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM

And I see now you said you were moving into your aunt's house. So I guess that answers my question about why you're moving there.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Hi Urza. Yes I'm moving into my aunt's house. She's been living there for long. Well to be exact, it's in Winslow Street. To the south it has Central and Krotiak Park. To the north, the Westwood drive and North Orchard drive. And to the west, Algonquin Park and the Illinois Theatre Center.
She never mentioned about the crimes. I'm a bit worried to be honest.
I don't think I can have a car right away. Maybe after a couple of months. Bicycle, maybe if she has one.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Hi Urza. Yes I'm moving into my aunt's house. She's been living there for long. Well to be exact, it's in Winslow Street. To the south it has Central and Krotiak Park. To the north, the Westwood drive and North Orchard drive. And to the west, Algonquin Park and the Illinois Theatre Center.
She never mentioned about the crimes. I'm a bit worried to be honest.
I don't think I can have a car right away. Maybe after a couple of months. Bicycle, maybe if she has one.
Umm.. What? That's NOT East Gate and NOT the neighorhood I was talking about. That neighborhood is fine. You should have no problem walking the street at night. The neighborhood I was talking about was the the northeast corner of town that is east of Western Avenue and north of 26th street, by Beacon Hill in Chicago Heights. Yes, Park Forest isn't very big and I suppose anywhere in town is "by" another part of town.. lol. For future reference, don't say to people you live by Aloquin Park. And you are mistaken: Aloquin Park is EAST of Winslow Street and EAST everything else you referenced.

Disregard my post about crime.. Good luck! You'll be okay. Don't be worried..

Last edited by urza216; 10-20-2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Umm.. What? That's NOT East Gate and NOT the neighorhood I was talking about. That neighborhood is fine. You should have no problem walking the street at night. The neighborhood I was talking about was the the northeast corner of town that is east of Western Avenue and north of 26th street, by Beacon Hill in Chicago Heights. Yes, Park Forest isn't very big and I suppose anywhere in town is "by" another part of town.. lol. For future reference, don't say to people you live by Aloquin Park. And you are mistaken: Aloquin Park is EAST of Winslow Street and EAST everything else you referenced.

Disregard my post about crime.. Good luck! You'll be okay. Don't be worried..
oh yea it's in the east. I don't know why I typed west.
I just used google map as the reference for those. And I'll sure remember that tip.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 PM

861 posts, read 1,057,600 times
Homes there seem pretty cheap and livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or