U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,392 times

Advertisements

I am new to Chicago. I am interested in buying a house in Midwest Club in Oak Brook. I don't want to miss some details or unknown issues. Can someone give me some insight about the neighborhood and the community? Thanks in advance of your valuable input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
Like many subdivisions in Oak Brook Midwest Club is preferred by those for whom a gated community and large well separated homes are paramount. It is mostlynserved by the well regarded Oak Brook Distict 53 schools however a few homes are in the Doowners Grove school district whichntends to have higher taxes and lower performance.

As a gated community it tends to have very high association costs as all road maintenance, landscaping of common areas and entrance security has to be paid. It also has an expensive outdoor swimming pool that is underutilized.

Many well off people of sout asian extraction seem drawn to the subdivision. It tends not to be as popular with folks of more traditional European heritage.

It is not particularly popular among families with younger children -- despite the low density of homes the culdesac layout tends to result in larger front / side yards and "play area" is decreased.

My personal feeling is that there are better places to spend money on home in the area, but sales are rather good all things considered. While I understand the motivations of many that do buy inn the subdivision it personally does not appeal to me.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
Lots of Indians in there I think (doctors, surgeons, etc.) - not that that is bad. Just saying.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 AM

198 posts, read 723,905 times
Lots of doctors in general in Oak Brook. MWC is a beautiful neighborhood. OB in general definitely more of a melting pot than many other surrounding areas but I like having my children exposed to different cultures. Streets aren't full of kids but there are plenty in the neighborhood - all my children have at least one friend and multiple classmates that live there. They put quite a bit of money into updating their pool and courts - my kids like going there as guests because there's both a slide and a diving board plus it is heated well unlike the Bath and Tennis Club's pool. There's a good number of snow birds who enjoy the gated community for the sense of security it brings while they spend winters in warmer climates. As Chet pointed out there is a court that is zoned for the Downers District, not OB and Hinsdale Central. You will find this in Saddlebrook and Ginger Creek although in Midwest it is just one court that's Downers, not 2/3 of the subdivision. Traffic across Rte 83 is a pain so if travelling for work add that extra 10 minutes into the equation - Hunter Trails is on the east side of 83 and is gated with much larger lots if you are looking at gated areas exclusively. Covington is west of 83 and it too is a manned gated area but smaller and very little turn over so few options there. There are some small gated enclaves without manned security as well throughout OB. If you have kids, Brook Forest is where the elementary school is currently located, York Woods is where the jr high is. There is some talk by the board about creating a consolidated K-8 campus at the jr high. The Park District, public golf and Library as well as most sport fields are located east of Rte 83. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs