U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,358,063 times
Reputation: 2017

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Parts of the Heights have some great potential , it's loaded with historic homes.
Not sure what neighborhood but just west of st. james hospital off dixie.

or north of lincoln hwy west of Dixie.
That's a nice neighborhood, for sure.

Chicago Heights is home to Prairie State College, Marion Catholic, Union Street art gallery and the Ford stamping plant.. The city holds a certain amount of importance in the southland. Plus Chicago Heights is home to most of the Hispanics who live south of I-80 and east of I-57 in Cook County. Yeah, I said it..

Even the worst parts of the Heights have some beautiful historical homes and great architecture. This doesn't necessarily mean it's in good condition. Both of the pictures that I posted were taken on the east side - in an area that some people who live in Chicago Heights don't ever get out of the car when passing through.

Last edited by urza216; 11-10-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 4,985,178 times
Reputation: 6112
Urza you have to be talking about the eara near the Chicago Hts. Ford plant
neart the public Housing - East End area?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,358,063 times
Reputation: 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Urza you have to be talking about the eara near the Chicago Hts. Ford plant
neart the public Housing - East End area?
Not THAT close to the Ford plant, no. But past East End Avenue, yeah.

Last edited by urza216; 11-12-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: South Suburbs of Chicago
25 posts, read 73,280 times
Reputation: 25
Yeah ... generally speaking, anything east of East End is going to be rough. Some of the pictures may have been from there, though -- a good photographer can make a rougher area still look nice. But the Heights is a lot like the city -- all sorts of neighborhoods. There are some beautiful homes in the Country Club neighborhood, and while more run down, west of St. James. And surrounding these areas are some decent mid-range older (20s to 50s) homes. My cape cod was built in the 40s, and is just east of Halsted. Pretty pleasant area here.

Near Marian Catholic, and further north toward Flossmoor, there are a lot of decent neighborhoods. It's not all crappy. But there are certainly some places I wouldn't want to walk around at night. There's something for everyone here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,358,063 times
Reputation: 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstravis View Post
Yeah ... generally speaking, anything east of East End is going to be rough. Some of the pictures may have been from there, though -- a good photographer can make a rougher area still look nice. But the Heights is a lot like the city -- all sorts of neighborhoods. There are some beautiful homes in the Country Club neighborhood, and while more run down, west of St. James. And surrounding these areas are some decent mid-range older (20s to 50s) homes. My cape cod was built in the 40s, and is just east of Halsted. Pretty pleasant area here.

Near Marian Catholic, and further north toward Flossmoor, there are a lot of decent neighborhoods. It's not all crappy. But there are certainly some places I wouldn't want to walk around at night. There's something for everyone here.
Well said.. Welcome to our fourm! Hope to see more posts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 PM
 
Location: South Suburbs of Chicago
25 posts, read 73,280 times
Reputation: 25
Thanks. Also, I noticed earlier you were commenting about the vantage point of the US 30 photos. I'm not sure, but I would guess it was probably from the walkway by the elementary school there -- there's a walkway above the road -- that would be a good spot for a shot like that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 AM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,358,063 times
Reputation: 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstravis View Post
Thanks. Also, I noticed earlier you were commenting about the vantage point of the US 30 photos. I'm not sure, but I would guess it was probably from the walkway by the elementary school there -- there's a walkway above the road -- that would be a good spot for a shot like that.
Oh.. Yeah, he was prabobly standing on the bridge.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Location: metro Portland Oregon
26 posts, read 43,530 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Chicago Heights is home to Prairie State College, Marion Catholic, .....
Actually, it's Marian, not Marion. I know a really funny story about that misspelling that happened right when the school first opened.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,358,063 times
Reputation: 2017
ok, JefferyManor, tell it then.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: metro Portland Oregon
26 posts, read 43,530 times
Reputation: 23
When Marian first opened, they ordered the shirts for their P.E. classes but misspelled Marian on the order and all the shirts came in spelled "Marion". The supplier wouldn't take them back because it was the school's error so the school had to reorder the correct ones. The new athletic director, Don Berg, took a bunch of the misspelled ones home to give to kids in the neighborhood, which included me. I took about a dozen of them. I was a member of BBYO (B'nai Brith Youth Organization) at the time and we had a basketball team that played against other BBYO chapters. We put adhesive tape numbers on the back of the shirts and used them for our jerseys when we played against other BBYO teams. They thought it was really funny for a bunch of Jewish kids to be wearing jerseys that said "Marion Catholic High School" on them.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top