U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 PM

110 posts, read 219,695 times

Advertisements

Try the parks closest to where you're looking on any particular Saturday or Sunday (in better weather of course). Chances are, if there are kids and parents there, they live in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM

221 posts, read 533,553 times
Hi Everyone --

Wanted to bump up this thread and see if anyone has any additional feedback on the plusses and minuses to living in certain parts of Hinsdale. Please-- I'd prefer perspectives from folks who live or have lived there or who are extremely familiar with the area. Currently, I'm kind of favoring the SE portion of Hinsdale above 55th Street, as there seem to be some larger lots, which I prefer. I'd love any feedback on good or bad points about this part of town, and I welcome perspectives on other neighborhoods, too (e.g., "We love our neighborhood in the NW quadrant because....." or "I would try to stay north of 55th because....." or "I would only consider an in-town lot for the following reasons.....")

In a similar vein, I was hoping to get some insiders' perspectives on the various elementary schools in Hinsdale. Anything that I should know as we continue our house hunting? Are there any fundamental differences in how the schools are run, the school schedules, activities, or any odd quirks I need to know about?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,936,355 times
The BOE, various PTO / PTA groups and even the informal conversations of local business people throughout D181 are all very focused on UNIFORMLY high standards for all the neighborhood schools. The result is NO other district in the region has sogrest a representetion of schools on the State's Honor Roll for Academic Excellence.

SE Hinsdale has traditionally been the priciest part of town, the larger lots in the section know as the woodlands tends to allow folks to build the bigger homes and still maintain a nice amount of yard / landscaping / privacy. Trade-off? Harder to walk to train / town. And tax in Cook Co are EVERYBIT as high as DuPage,maybe higher...

Some families prefer the larger neighborhood schools like The Lane,mProspect or Monroe, others like the smaller schools like Walker, Oak or Elm. Curriculum is the same, schedule same, staff very very similar.

Schools that feed CHMS probably a greater percentage of kids walking to Middle School than those serving HMS, though you'll see lots of 7th and 8th graders hanging out in downtown Hinsdale. The Daily Scoop is a safe a popular hangout / family spot in Clarendon Hills.

Honestly if you find a home that are comfortable with the differnces are pretty minor. A couple of extra blocks to Metra, an extra five minutes to a grocery (Whole Foods in walkable from some parts of the The Lane attendance area, Kramer's from from parts of Madison & Monroe, Jewel on 55th from Walker, Standard Market from Prospect...). CH has a nice large Starbucks and a locally owned Quinn's coffee convenientely located for train commuters. Hinsdale has an in town Starbucks another at Whole Foods, Einstein Bro. Bagel, kind of in the certain if town, as well as a Cosi that is at the main train depot. Things are sparse at West Hinsdale and aside from the hospital not really any better at Highlands on the east side. I doubt anyone would veto a lovely home due to coffee shop choices but the ability to mingle a little really does give towns with the central setup of CH an edge for those that want to quickly acclimate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs