U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:19 PM

13 posts, read 18,448 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife & I are strongly considering a move to the Chicago suburbs from Northern California.

About 10 years ago I was stationed at NTC Great Lakes for about a year. In that short time I absolutely fell in love with Chicago and vowed I'd come back.
Being in Navy Barracks, I didn't get to live off post and don't have a good perspective on where to live exactly.

We know we don't want to live in the City, but close. We're willing to be up to 45-60 min. outside Chicago if we find the right spot. I would like to be close to METRA and not too far from the lake. I hate to draw on 80's Movie cliches, but we'd love to find a John Hughes "Shermer-ish" locale. Yes, I know its not a "real" city.

We will be going for just a year (traveling contract) to start, so we will be renting and would like to find a nice homey place but with plenty of rental options. We have no kids, so schools aren't an issue, but local community events would be nice.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: The reason we're leaving California is the weather. Yes, you must scratching your head right now, but... We don't get all 4 seasons. We REALLY want to see a rich color changing Autumn and a Snowy white winter. I know the winter part is no problem, but we do want to make sure we are somewhere with lots of trees, so we will truly see the leaves of fall.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 4,989,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Doc View Post
Hi All,

My wife & I are strongly considering a move to the Chicago suburbs from Northern California.

About 10 years ago I was stationed at NTC Great Lakes for about a year. In that short time I absolutely fell in love with Chicago and vowed I'd come back.
Being in Navy Barracks, I didn't get to live off post and don't have a good perspective on where to live exactly.

We know we don't want to live in the City, but close. We're willing to be up to 45-60 min. outside Chicago if we find the right spot. I would like to be close to METRA and not too far from the lake. I hate to draw on 80's Movie cliches, but we'd love to find a John Hughes "Shermer-ish" locale. Yes, I know its not a "real" city.

We will be going for just a year (traveling contract) to start, so we will be renting and would like to find a nice homey place but with plenty of rental options. We have no kids, so schools aren't an issue, but local community events would be nice.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: The reason we're leaving California is the weather. Yes, you must scratching your head right now, but... We don't get all 4 seasons. We REALLY want to see a rich color changing Autumn and a Snowy white winter. I know the winter part is no problem, but we do want to make sure we are somewhere with lots of trees, so we will truly see the leaves of fall.

Thanks so much!
Someone has to break the ice
Are you going to work in the city
Do you have a price range

Was there a particular side of the metro you would like to consider?

If you want the full seasonal effect , your picking the right area of the country.!!!

The seasonal changes are wonderful.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 4,989,405 times
[quote=Nor Cal Doc;21500500]Hi All,

You may want to look at
Oak Park
Forest Park
Glen Ellyn, Wheaton

Elmhurst

These are all nice burbs
Oak Park and Forest Park are closer to the city.

Seems to me your looking for an established suburb that is not your run of the mill spec house area.

As you know the Chicago area is large Geographically and there are many areas that would fit your circumstance.

Dont blame you for wanting a change of the seasons and you will find the area has PLENTY to offer for a young couple.
Good luck with your endeavors!

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 10-30-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 AM

2,883 posts, read 3,851,026 times
Your work location and housing budget are the keys to getting good answers. John Hughes did most of his filming on the North Shore, so if they work with your job location and budget, towns along the lake would be good places to start. Another option would be the Barrington area if you like rolling hills and lots of trees.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,066,215 times
Many towns in DuPage Co and eastern Cook look just about identical to the North Shore as depicted in John Hughes films, save for access to Lake Michigan.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,071,342 times
Evanston. Nice shopping and entertainment options of its own plus easy access to chicago via CTA and Metra. You are also close to the lake. Has tree lined streets galore.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM

10,296 posts, read 12,429,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Evanston. Nice shopping and entertainment options of its own plus easy access to chicago via CTA and Metra. You are also close to the lake. Has tree lined streets galore.
Bingo!

Old 10-31-2011, 04:18 PM

Not sure yet whether direction around the city will matter as my wife won't get her exact assignment for several months (if it will even be in the city or not either). As far as cost, we'd like stay under $1400/mo rent. I think Evanston is a very likely possibility, but we will continue to keep an open mind.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM

What's anyone's opinion on living in Skokie? My parents stayed there when I was in the Navy & it seemed quite nice.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,066,215 times
Default Not the worst town in the region but....

...if you are looking for mostly uniform smaller homes built in the 50's thru the 70's Skokie is fine. It does not, however, have the charm of the closer-to-the-lack towns that were showcased in movies by Hughes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Doc View Post
What's anyone's opinion on living in Skokie? My parents stayed there when I was in the Navy & it seemed quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs