Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM

9 posts, read 17,840 times

Advertisements

Is Rolling Meadows a good, safe area to live? Any concerns with any of that area as far as renting something there? Thanks for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
As far as suburbs of Chicago go Rolling Meadows would rank in the better half in terms of generic "safety" assessing both property crime and violent crimes.

That said it is probably among the less desirable of towns in the greater NW suburban corridor. Though it is adjacent to Schaumburg and has a far number of of office and retail spots it lacks a traditional town center, has no real access to Metra and generally is a notch down academically and socio-economicalluy compared to adjacent towns.

It was largely developed in the 1970s and 80s so the majority of housing stock is too old to be new and not old enough to have much charm.

If it is a convenient drive to your office and you have no need to use the schools it it probably a pretty good choice. If you desire higher performing schools and/or better commute options there are towns that would be preferable.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Residents of nearby Arlington Heights called it "Rolling Ghettoes," because it was a step down from their hometown, but it really is pretty safe.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Thank you both for the responses. I had read on here that some called it Rolling Ghettos and that had me concerned. The commute will be to Wheeling. How would you say it compares to that area? We are moving from out of state and know nothing about the suburbs at all. Only what comes from this forum.. haha
I will eventually need to consider schools but my daughter is only 3 so I will have time to investigate all that once we get there. We will be looking at buying something somewhere in about a year give or take but for now just need someplace safe with friendly neighbors and places for kids to play and with a commute that wont be terrible.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Honestly it will be closer to rent in Arlington Heights and the price differential is probably small if there is one at all -- I would prefer a smaller place in a better area any day of the week...

Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM

I will look seriously into the Arlington Heights places. We are trying to rent (1200 to 1300 per month budget) but have a dog which is definitely making the search harder. If only landlords realized my 3 year old is much harder on a place than my dog But I will see what I can find in Arlington Heights. Thanks so much for the advice.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM

I love dogs but as a former landlord I have been burned by tenants that just did not do enough to make their dog understand the behaviors need to be "a good pet for renters". You might have better luck with an individual that has to rent an underwater condo than any sort of apartment complex which tends to need stricter rules...

Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 AM

We have a yellow lab and he is amazing Do you know are there certain realtors in the area who handle rentals that would be a good place to start a search for non-apartment places. I would actually prefer to not live in an apartment even if I had to pay more...

Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Honestly it is quite hit or miss -- sometimes all you need to do is open a copy of the Daily Herald and there are a dozen nice places listed for rent by an owner and other times you can call / visit every real estate office in the area and they won't have anything.

It may still be worth calling a few real estate agents to get a sense for how active the demand is and if you can plan on having something that meets your needs.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM

I'll see what I can do.... thank you for the suggestions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs